PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UConn could cut 8 of 24 sports

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

UConn could cut 8 of 24 sports

Postby Big Hoss » Fri May 29, 2020 9:57 am

I think we all know that football is a near futile effort at UConn, and there continual missteps is likely going to cost them up to 1/3rd of all their sports.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/05/26/u ... ports-cuts
Big Hoss
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 3093
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:02 pm
Location: DFW, Texas

Re: UConn could cut 8 of 24 sports

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri May 29, 2020 8:16 pm

You have to give UConn credit for being the first school to finally address this in a meaningful way, although I think they (and many other schools) should have years / decades ago.

Of course our federal government is partially to blame for this.

Title IX should have exempted Men’s FB.
User avatar
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5452
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Newport Beach, CA

Re: UConn could cut 8 of 24 sports

Postby Dukie » Sat May 30, 2020 9:37 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:You have to give UConn credit for being the first school to finally address this in a meaningful way, although I think they (and many other schools) should have years / decades ago.

Of course our federal government is partially to blame for this.

Title IX should have exempted Men’s FB.

ECU announced it was cutting 4 sports several weeks ago.
Dukie
Heisman
 
Posts: 1093
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: UConn could cut 8 of 24 sports

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat May 30, 2020 6:11 pm

Dukie wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:You have to give UConn credit for being the first school to finally address this in a meaningful way, although I think they (and many other schools) should have years / decades ago.

Of course our federal government is partially to blame for this.

Title IX should have exempted Men’s FB.

ECU announced it was cutting 4 sports several weeks ago.


Key word being meaningful. IMO tennis & swimming & diving are not meaningful, or at least not for ECU.
User avatar
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5452
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Newport Beach, CA

Re: UConn could cut 8 of 24 sports

Postby alyssa » Sun May 31, 2020 1:28 pm

Cuts are happening a lot. Just recently 5 schools have cut running programs. Brown just cut their men's XC and track program after 145 years.

There's a lot of BS going on.
User avatar
alyssa
All-American
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:01 pm

Re: UConn could cut 8 of 24 sports

Postby Dukie » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:27 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
Dukie wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:You have to give UConn credit for being the first school to finally address this in a meaningful way, although I think they (and many other schools) should have years / decades ago.

Of course our federal government is partially to blame for this.

Title IX should have exempted Men’s FB.

ECU announced it was cutting 4 sports several weeks ago.


Key word being meaningful. IMO tennis & swimming & diving are not meaningful, or at least not for ECU.

Cutting any sport is meaningful and a big blow to ego and perception, and you have no idea whether the sports UConn might cut will be more or less meaningful than tennis and swimming/diving. Part of the reason you have no idea is because UConn hasn't actually announced anything yet; this is just a summary of "media reports" about what UConn "could" do and it does not even guess as to what the sports are, never mind that there could be up to eight of them (that number is just a recommendation from a local sports columnist). So maybe let's hold off on the kudos for the decision that they have not yet made.
Dukie
Heisman
 
Posts: 1093
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: UConn could cut 8 of 24 sports

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:47 pm

We disagree on the word meaningful.

PFs is reflective of most college sports boards. Maybe there are ~20 unique teams. I strongly suspect for almost all, Football and MBB take up ~90%+ of all sports-related posts.

UConn has an enrollment some 3x greater than SMU yet struggle mightily with attendance, last year they averaged 10k per game. Now they don't have a home conference. And their team next year looks to be very uninspiring.

Who knows if they really will axe FB, that is obviously a difficult decision to make, because FB IS so meaningful. It's speculation, sure, but what are these sites if not speculation.

But If they should, I personally will commend them on a difficult decision.
User avatar
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5452
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Newport Beach, CA

Re: UConn could cut 8 of 24 sports

Postby mustangxc » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:52 pm

They're all meaningful to the athletes and fans unless you don't care about the olympic games. Perhaps the more appropriate term would be revenue producing or self-sustaining, which would probably be a lie at most universities including SMU.
User avatar
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5912
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: San Juan, PR

Re: UConn could cut 8 of 24 sports

Postby Dukie » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:44 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:We disagree on the word meaningful.

PFs is reflective of most college sports boards. Maybe there are ~20 unique teams. I strongly suspect for almost all, Football and MBB take up ~90%+ of all sports-related posts.

UConn has an enrollment some 3x greater than SMU yet struggle mightily with attendance, last year they averaged 10k per game. Now they don't have a home conference. And their team next year looks to be very uninspiring.

Who knows if they really will axe FB, that is obviously a difficult decision to make, because FB IS so meaningful. It's speculation, sure, but what are these sites if not speculation.

But If they should, I personally will commend them on a difficult decision.


We don't disagree on "meaningful," we disagree on your original, erroneous assumption that UConn has decided, or will decide, to cut football. It would definitely be the right thing for them to do. If they do it, I'll agree that it's significantly more meaningful than the ECU cuts. But right now they've cut nothing.
Dukie
Heisman
 
Posts: 1093
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: UConn could cut 8 of 24 sports

Postby Higher Authority » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:20 pm

I do wonder if they'll cut football. Going independent is a difficult route for any school not named Notre Dame or maybe BYU, and with a schedule that features such national heavyweights as UMass, Old Dominion and Maine, Connecticut might very well decide to cut bait and come to grips with the fact that it is a basketball school like Seton Hall or Marquette and there's no need to pour money down the drain by posing as a football school.
"Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in .... next to soccer."
— "Loki" in the movie Dogma
User avatar
Higher Authority
All-American
 
Posts: 765
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2002 3:01 am
Location: Dallas

Re: UConn could cut 8 of 24 sports

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:11 pm

Ideally all of the MAC -- where UMass plays -- would go to FCS and save 20 scholarships.

Maybe UConn could play in the conference with Delaware, Villanova, William & Mary...
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2378
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: UConn could cut 8 of 24 sports

Postby DFW HOYA » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:27 pm

They cut a nice deal with CBS College Sports to broadcast their games.

https://uconnhuskies.com/news/2020/5/11 ... games.aspx



UConn used to play in the CAA with Villanova and Richmond, but that is when they still played on campus. Their current stadium is 23 miles away. It would be as popular as SMU playing Southland opponents at Globe Life Park.
User avatar
DFW HOYA
Scout Team
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:29 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: UConn could cut 8 of 24 sports

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:14 am

DFW HOYA wrote:They cut a nice deal with CBS College Sports to broadcast their games.

https://uconnhuskies.com/news/2020/5/11 ... games.aspx

That news is shocking to me. Is CBS Sports expecting 100 viewers per telecast?

I hope that rousing Connecticut-Middle Tennessee State game isn't up against SMU-Houston.
Shake It Off Moody
User avatar
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 15744
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2000 3:01 am
Location: The 214

Re: UConn could cut 8 of 24 sports

Postby Dukie » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:58 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
DFW HOYA wrote:They cut a nice deal with CBS College Sports to broadcast their games.

https://uconnhuskies.com/news/2020/5/11 ... games.aspx

That news is shocking to me. Is CBS Sports expecting 100 viewers per telecast?

I hope that rousing Connecticut-Middle Tennessee State game isn't up against SMU-Houston.

CBS Sports is very low profile. And the article does not say what UConn is being paid. Hell, UConn might be paying CBS Sports.
Dukie
Heisman
 
Posts: 1093
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Austin, Texas


Return to Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests