PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Greatest SMU Wide Receiver

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Greatest SMU Wide Receiver

Postby ponyboy » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:02 pm

Ok, I was four years old when he graduated. Would love to find some video
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:10 pm

I do not know if there is any video from our olden days. In 68 we played in the Astro Bluebonnet Bowl but freshmen were not eligible to play varsity then so he was not in that one. We had no other bowl games during our time there. There was not the glut of bowl games then like there is today.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby peruna81 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:01 pm

Emanuel Tolbert was also a pretty fair receiver back in the Mike Ford/Clement Fox days...

Still have to go with Hammond, though. He made being a young SMU fan smile on Saturday afternoons...
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
Hall of Famer

Postby max the wonder dog » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:59 am

peruna81 wrote:Emanuel Tolbert was also a pretty fair receiver back in the Mike Ford/Clement Fox days...

Still have to go with Hammond, though. He made being a young SMU fan smile on Saturday afternoons...

We never got to see Hammond's potential as a wide receiver. Freshmen were ineligible when he was on campus, then he moved to running back his junior year and quarterback as a senior. If there's a category for Most Versatile he wins hands down. One of the all time great Mustangs.

Jerry Levias still gets my pick for Greatest Wide Receiver.

Aside from his All American honors and NFL career, he was the Jackie Robinson of the Southwest Conference. He performed under pressure that the other great receivers cited in this thread never faced. I would like to see his statue at Ford.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby peruna81 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:25 pm

max the wonder dog wrote:
peruna81 wrote:Emanuel Tolbert was also a pretty fair receiver back in the Mike Ford/Clement Fox days...

We never got to see Hammond's potential as a wide receiver. Freshmen were ineligible when he was on campus, then he moved to running back his junior year and quarterback as a senior. If there's a category for Most Versatile he wins hands down. One of the all time great Mustangs.

Jerry Levias still gets my pick for Greatest Wide Receiver.

Aside from his All American honors and NFL career, he was the Jackie Robinson of the Southwest Conference. He performed under pressure that the other great receivers cited in this thread never faced. I would like to see his statue at Ford.

Aye.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
Hall of Famer

Postby Mexmustang » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:27 pm

Amen!

I always imagined a statue of Jerry, with Hayden's arm on his shou!der, saying something to the effect, "Just show them who you are!" .
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:32 pm

I'd put Courtland Sutton up against any receiver that's ever played here. Two best hearts I ever saw were Mick Rossley and James Proche. And Beasley. Now's the golden age.
ponyboy

Previous

Return to Football