PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

no marching band this football season for AAC

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

no marching band this football season for AAC

Postby bubba pony » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:32 am

https://www.collegemarching.com/content ... s-for-2020

too bad, I liked the band and their absence will deplete the football atmosphere

masks on The Boulevard?
bubba pony
Heisman

Re: no marching band this football season for AAC

Postby Bergermeister » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:11 pm

Show "the best of" on video board. Gotta have a Diamond M.
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Greenwich Pony » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:50 pm

I hate to point this out, but if it's not safe for the bands, it is certainly not safe for the football players. I know this is all about the money, but if you are unwilling to risk band members lives (and why would you want to?) then you can't risk athletes' lives either.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby AusTxPony » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:00 pm

Does this mean no bands spread out in the stadium, which will likely be empty. I understand no marching which takes practice.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:45 am

Do we give out ANY band scholarships anymore? Difference is most of football players are on scholarship and no football means no money from television and radio. I assume that some spit goes through a brass instrument and out the front, but I've never confirmed it. If so, it spreads much more than face to face on the field.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby RedRiverPony » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:41 pm

bubba pony wrote:masks on The Boulevard?

That's a fair question.
But if there's a chance of games with no fans, surely there won't even be a Boulevard, will there?
RedRiverPony
All-American

Postby AustinPerson » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:38 pm

Football won't happen this fall. Therefore, bands won't happen.
AustinPerson
All-American

Postby SMUPhil » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:40 am

Did any of you read the link? It says no visiting bands, and the home band can't perform on the field. Sounds to me like the home band can still be there and play the entire game in the stands.
Sent from my Motorola brick.
SMUPhil
All-American

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:15 am

Even if they aren't allowed to play I can't imagine anything stopping them from gathering in the stands in masks and dancing.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Swamp Gas » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:57 pm

One of the possibilities that has been thrown out there is games with no fans. If that happens, how does that affect bands? On one hand, there would be no fans to play for. On the other, the band might be more critical than ever as fast as creating something that vaguely resembles an atmosphere for the players.
Swamp Gas
Junior Varsity

Postby malonish » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:02 pm

EastStang wrote:Do we give out ANY band scholarships anymore? Difference is most of football players are on scholarship and no football means no money from television and radio. I assume that some spit goes through a brass instrument and out the front, but I've never confirmed it. If so, it spreads much more than face to face on the field.

Band scholarship is peanuts. It barely paid for one credit hour then halfway through my terms it was underneath 1 hour.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:33 pm

Greenwich Pony wrote:I hate to point this out, but if it's not safe for the bands, it is certainly not safe for the football players. I know this is all about the money, but if you are unwilling to risk band members lives (and why would you want to?) then you can't risk athletes' lives either.

The game itself is infinitely more dangerous than COVID-19 for kids this age. Has anyone looked at the stats? The bus to the game is more dangerous.
ponyboy

Postby peruna81 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:51 pm

SMUPhil wrote:Did any of you read the link? It says no visiting bands, and the home band can't perform on the field. Sounds to me like the home band can still be there and play the entire game in the stands.

Endless "Peruna" thread redux...
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby alyssa » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:05 am

That's stupid.
alyssa
All-American

Postby Dukie » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:09 am

Swamp Gas wrote:One of the possibilities that has been thrown out there is games with no fans. If that happens, how does that affect bands? On one hand, there would be no fans to play for. On the other, the band might be more critical than ever as fast as creating something that vaguely resembles an atmosphere for the players.

It's pretty easy to watch recent events and see what this fall may very well look like (assuming there are games). Both the Bundesliga and English Premier League are experimenting with adding sound--including big cheers for a goal by the home team and howls of anger for a bad foul by the away team. The English, being polite, also include more muted cheers for away goals, lol.

Djokovic's Adria tennis event allowed full stands. It also shut down early as basically everyone involved tested positive. There are other tennis events going on in the US that are attempting the 25-30% capacity approach; one just ended in Atlanta. Meanwhile, the PGA marches on without fans, and I believe Korean baseball is doing the same.

I agree with the thought that home bands will be more important than ever, if fans are barred, or if there are things like a 25-30% capacity limit.

Meanwhile, Sherrington thinks we may have spring football:

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/oklah ... he-option/
Dukie
Heisman

Next

Return to Football