PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Greatest QB in SMU History

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Greatest QB in SMU History

Postby peruna81 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:20 am

1. Meredith
1a. McIlhenny

As mentioned above, transformational.. Lance took a team and changed the entire offense virtually virtually mid-season. He was the greatest option quarterback I have ever watched, and a good guy to boot. God bless Ron Meyer for having the courage to do that, after gut wrenching losses.

2. Mike Ford- The first massive quarterback with a cannon arm. He was smart, amazingly tough, and after a terrible knee injury, fought back and came back. I hit him on a blitz from the blind side in high school, and he never blinked and roped a 30 yard arrow downfield. Tells you something about my lack of "hitting" and his ability to focus.
He had weapons like ET, but most were still developing or not on campus quite yet. He DID have one Clement Fox, so we know he had someone to block for him, ahem.... and catch.

2a. Chuck Hixon
One of the greatest competitors ever to wear a jersey. The game was not over if he had the ball. Ask Sooner fans
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:25 am

Benners and Lance.
Benners had little support on the receiving end and played against top teams- i.e. Ohio St. and ND. etc. yet still managed to win.

Lance because he was probably the best option QB and was instrumental in the Pony Express success.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ojaipony » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:00 pm

The best at SMU was Meredith then McIlhenny. Pure passer is GG. Shane's up there too. Maybe even Mordecai if he keeps his TD on this pace for another year and a half. Sentimental favorite is Ramon (my era). Defined "dual threat" but we never won much sadly (in the SWC) ...
ojaipony

Postby ponyboy » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:26 pm

Ramon’s time as SMU QB was the best fifteen years of my life.
ponyboy

Postby peruna81 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:04 pm

ponyboy wrote:Ramon’s time as SMU QB was the best fifteen years of my life.

Bwahahaha! Indeed.

He was on the field for years....and had he not been pulled in one game, SMU would have gotten to the Promised Land of a post-death penalty bowl. That loss to TCU was a gut punch.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Football