PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Buechele Named To Wuerffel Trophy Watch List

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby PonyPride » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:12 pm

From SMUMustangs.com:

FORT WALTON BEACH, Fla. (SMU) – Mustang Shane Buechele has been named to the Wuerffel Trophy Watch List, "College Football's Premier Award for Community Service."

Presented each February in Fort Walton Beach, the trophy is named after the 1996 Heisman Trophy winning quarterback from the University of Florida, Danny Wuerffel. The Wuerffel Trophy exists to honor college football players who serve others, celebrate their positive impact on society, and inspire greater service in the world.

Buechele and girlfriend Paige Vasquez recently raised over $50,000 to be donated to the Mayor's Disaster Relief Fund for COVID-19 relief in the City of Dallas.

"Dallas is home. I grew up here," Buechele said. "It's been amazing to see how many people have sent in donations. Everyone wants to help and give back in some way and I'm glad they're able to do that through the donation page Paige and I started."

Throughout his collegiate career, Buechele has also regularly participated at Boys and Girls Club events, visits to Dell Children's Hospital, elementary school visits and various youth football camps while at SMU and Texas.

"In addition to his talent and established community service, Shane's drive can be contributed to exceptional academic achievement," Head Coach Sonny Dykes said. "Shane is already equipped with a Bachelor's Degree from the University of Texas, a Master's Degree from SMU and is in progress for a second Master's certification. The desire to achieve all that is possible lives strong in Shane, and I can't wait to see where his journey takes him."

Buechele's success translates to the field as well. He has already been named to the Davey O'Brien Preseason Watch List.

Buechele threw for 3,929 yards and 34 touchdowns in 2019, both SMU records. His passing TD total, passing yards per game (302.2) and points responsible for (222) all led the league. Buechele posted three games of 400+ yards and registered 4,034 yards of total offense, which ranks second in a season for a Mustang.

In 2019, Buechele was a finalist for the Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award, a semifinalist for both the Maxwell and Davey O'Brien Awards and a first-team All-American Athletic Conference selection.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football