PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New Fight Song for Week One/Predictions?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New Fight Song for Week One/Predictions?

Postby jettison » Mon Aug 27, 2001 10:44 am

High Rolling in a smelly little Vegas
High Time for the stangs to be en fuegas
Follow the method man and bring da ruckus
The 5 receiver sets will be a 3 ring circus.

Middle Brother left, Baby Brother never came.
We will be just fine all the same.
A gloried win the Stangs Expect
Do Re Mi Fa So La Tech.

SMU 38
La Tech 27
jettison
Junior Varsity

Re: New Fight Song for Week One/Predictions?

Postby jettison » Thu Aug 30, 2001 10:20 am

Anyone else?

Here is what collegefootballnews.com thinks:

"Sept. 1 SMU vs. Louisiana Tech (-5)
Why to watch: We want to know if SMU is as lean and mean as they say they are. We'll always go out of our way to watch the Louisiana Tech offense.
One reason why SMU might win: The Louisiana Tech front seven won't be able to stop their rushing attack. Their secondary isn't bad and could give Tech trouble.
One reason why Louisiana Tech might win: QB Luke McCown is the real deal and will return Tech to the days of Gary Crowton and Tim Rattay.
We think ... we picked SMU in the preseason to win this game and we're not going to change now even though we'd love to. We're thinking the SMU secondary will slow down La Tech just enough to pull off the win.
Must Watch Rating (5 must see - 1 go for a bike ride): 3
Our Prediction: SMU 31 ... Louisiana Tech 30"
jettison
Junior Varsity

Re: New Fight Song for Week One/Predictions?

Postby PerunaPunch » Thu Aug 30, 2001 12:56 pm

Yeah, I checked out collegefootballnews.com Nice site, but those guys are a little behind on the times.

On the offensive side of the ball, they still have Luker and Page fighting for the starting job. Also, they list Briggs as being the star of the offense. Sure, Briggs is one of my favorites too, but the star? They don't even mention Kincade, who looked amazing in the scrimmages I've seen. Also, I think our QB and receivers have a lot more potential than these guys give them credit for. If Freeman has actually learned to catch, Cunningham has healthy knees, Ford continues his progress as a wideout and Cardwell keeps doing what he's doing... and then there's that Taylor kid. My only concern is the right side of the O-line and the quality/depth of the backups.

On defense, they still have Pratt lining up at DE. Speaking of ends, they still list Williams as a paltry 215. And again, depth on the D-line may become an issue. Also, they list our DBs as our defensive team strength. Anyone who saw our guys trying to cover TCU's 6-footers last year would be hard pressed to call that a strength, although with their experience I expect them to be solid. Certainly a test for LA Tech's flying circus.

So I guess my point is that I'm not putting too much credence in their review. I think they got one thing right, however, in wanting to know if the Mustangs are as lean and mean as reported. I want to know that too.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Return to Football