PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Former TCU DB alleges Patterson used racial slur

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Former TCU DB alleges Patterson used racial slur

Postby gostangs » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:15 pm

shadowman wrote:This story is gaining legs and is a pretty big deal nationally now. Many frog fans do not see Patterson surviving this, I think he will have to be removed. This a recruiting killer for TCU and they stand to lose millions over this in many different areas.

Bottom line, he is going to have to go, at this point it does not matter whether anyone thinks he was right or wrong.

Doubling down on ridiculous! Look i cant stand Patterson but if he used this word to admonish someone against using the word, than that is completely defendable. Let’s be adults and not be so sensitive we cant function.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Oldmins » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:33 pm

shadowman wrote:This story is gaining legs and is a pretty big deal nationally now. Many frog fans do not see Patterson surviving this, I think he will have to be removed. This a recruiting killer for TCU and they stand to lose millions over this in many different areas.

Bottom line, he is going to have to go, at this point it does not matter whether anyone thinks he was right or wrong.

Sound the trumpets! Dumbest post every submitted, new winner. Good work, Shadowman!
Oldmins
Varsity

Postby 35straight » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:35 pm

Oldmins wrote:

Sound the trumpets! Dumbest post every submitted, new winner. Good work, Shadowman!

I'm no Patterson fan, but this isn't even close to the dumbest post submitted. Stick around.
35straight
Heisman

Postby malonish » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:34 am

If you tell someone not to use it, you probably shouldn't use it in full during your admonishment.

Just rhyme with inward instead of Twitter.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:56 pm

Let's take this to its ridiculous extreme. Fatterson: " Don't use that word in our facilities". Player, "What word?", Fatterson: You know, the word we can't say. Player. What word can't we say. Fatterson. The n word. Player: Noise? Fatterson: No, you can't say N......" Player: Coach used the N word.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby ponyboy » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:35 pm

Dukie wrote: Thanks for your opinion! TCU ultra-apologist Mac Engel disagrees with you. So does Kevin Sherrington. And so does ... Gary Patterson.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/sp ... 94127.html

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/tcu-h ... cial-slur/

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... acial-slur

Argument from authority. Logic 101. Please try again.
ponyboy

Former TCU DB alleges Patterson used racial slur

Postby geezerdonk » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:06 pm

The episode provides an excellent opportunity for sanctimonious self appointed virtue arbiters to: (a) tell everybody what they can say, when they can say it and who they can say it to and (b) proclaim their own righteous moral superiority.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:13 pm

By nature, we're all looking to self-validate.
ponyboy

Postby malonish » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:00 am

ponyboy wrote:By nature, we're all looking to self-validate.

I frequently self validate.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:54 pm

That's not legal in seven states.
ponyboy

Postby peruna81 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:15 pm

This whole episode with GP reminds me of an interview with Mel Brooks regarding his film and directing career...he stated that he would not be able to make several of his movies now, most notably Blazing Saddles because of a word that studios won't allow...hmmm. I seem to recall several instances where "that" word has been used in the most degrading and profane manner in recent films.

Interesting times we live in nowadays...

GP survives this...and towel girls in Ft Worth groan for another 4 years.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dukie » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:47 am

ponyboy wrote:
Dukie wrote: Thanks for your opinion! TCU ultra-apologist Mac Engel disagrees with you. So does Kevin Sherrington. And so does ... Gary Patterson.

Mac Engel is the biggest TCU apologist on the planet. It is relevant when he admits that something at TCU is a problem. Kevin Sherrington's column cites the best recent take on white people and the N word, John McWhorter's piece in the Atlantic. Sherrington's is a smart take, and is nuanced, and still concludes that white people should not use the N word. Whatever level of authority Sherrington has on this topic, it is certainly more than you and the others aligned with you. Fatterson himself is certainly relevant.

So, thanks for your criticism. I find it unpersuasive.

I think the real question is why you and the other apologists in this thread are so determined to defend the "right" of an old white dude who is responsible for coaching dozens of Black players to use the N word. It was stupid of him to do it. It was possible to deliver his educational message without repeating the word. I'm thrilled this is a black eye for TCU. And I definitely hope that neither Jerry LeVias nor current SMU Black recruits ever read your comments in this thread.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:47 am

Dukie wrote:
ponyboy wrote:

Mac Engel is the biggest TCU apologist on the planet. It is relevant when he admits that something at TCU is a problem. Kevin Sherrington's column cites the best recent take on white people and the N word, John McWhorter's piece in the Atlantic. Sherrington's is a smart take, and is nuanced, and still concludes that white people should not use the N word. Whatever level of authority Sherrington has on this topic, it is certainly more than you and the others aligned with you. Fatterson himself is certainly relevant.

Nothing is absolute and facts and context matter - that is true regardless of age or race. Your inability to understand that destroys whatever unpersuasive over emotional position you are trying to make. Patterson is an arrogant turd by all accounts. But he does not deserve this level of criticism for saying a word in the context of asking his players not to say the word. Try get outside your “Atlantic” inspired PC world to understand context.

So, thanks for your criticism. I find it unpersuasive.

I think the real question is why you and the other apologists in this thread are so determined to defend the "right" of an old white dude who is responsible for coaching dozens of Black players to use the N word. It was stupid of him to do it. It was possible to deliver his educational message without repeating the word. I'm thrilled this is a black eye for TCU. And I definitely hope that neither Jerry LeVias nor current SMU Black recruits ever read your comments in this thread.
gostangs

Postby ponyboy » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:37 pm

Dukie wrote:I definitely hope that neither Jerry LeVias nor current SMU Black recruits ever read your comments in this thread.

Wait, what? My only comment on this thread is that the "n word" is never appropriate for anyone to use, white or black or green or purple. Are you telling me that that is offensive?
ponyboy

Postby Dukie » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:25 pm

ponyboy wrote:
Dukie wrote:I definitely hope that neither Jerry LeVias nor current SMU Black recruits ever read your comments in this thread.

Wait, what? My only comment on this thread is that the "n word" is never appropriate for anyone to use, white or black or green or purple. Are you telling me that that is offensive?

Oh, your post snidely criticizing mine was not meant as substantive criticism, merely sophistic musing? OK then.
Dukie
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football