PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Renewed risk of a NCAA and P5 Breakup

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Renewed risk of a NCAA and P5 Breakup

Postby Water Pony » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:38 pm

Will the NCAA and the Power 5 Conferences separate?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... all-sports
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Renewed risk of a NCAA and P5 Breakup

Postby EastStang » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:46 pm

If P5 decides to put an end to the "amateurism" myth, that is going to be tough on the G-5 conferences. While we have a few billionaire alums who might Pony Up for paying players, the P5 schools would do so, but would have to cut other sports to pull it off. You can't afford to pay women athletes, swimmers, golfers, tennis players, soccer players, when their sports produce no revenue. I went to the NCAA soccer match between SMU/UVA there might have been 1000 people in the stands including students.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Re: Renewed risk of a NCAA and P5 Breakup

Postby Water Pony » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:11 pm

EastStang wrote:If P5 decides to put an end to the "amateurism" myth, that is going to be tough on the G-5 conferences. While we have a few billionaire alums who might Pony Up for paying players, the P5 schools would do so, but would have to cut other sports to pull it off. You can't afford to pay women athletes, swimmers, golfers, tennis players, soccer players, when their sports produce no revenue. I went to the NCAA soccer match between SMU/UVA there might have been 1000 people in the stands including students.

Too true, EastStang:

That is why this one PAC 12 Boycott demands scares me the most:

Players demand: 50% of each sport’s total conference revenue distributed evenly among athletes in their respective sport.

If the P5 schools and conferences feel they need to share even a portion of respective sports' revenue with their FB/BB athletes, the G5 and other Divisions will be cut adrift. I love football, but non-revenue/Olympic sports are integral to the development of students for the long term. Football and BB should serve that objective, as well. However, if we convert these two sports to semi-pro, I can't see how universities and colleges can reasonably support the broadest role of athletics at the same time.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Return to Football