PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU athletes’ “DEMANDS” - y’all heard about this?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU athletes’ “DEMANDS” - y’all heard about this?

Postby mr. pony » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:07 am

The first one is mandatory racial bias training, I’m guessing for whites. The rest are window dressing to make themselves look less radical and to perhaps embarrass SMU.

DMN got the list of “demands.” The athletes say they won’t play unless all “demands” are met by Aug. 24. (They’ve clearly been “coached“ well - by BLM.)
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: SMU athletes’ “DEMANDS” - y’all heard about this?

Postby JasonB » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:17 am

First demand is really implicit bias training: “It should discuss intersectionality and how different forms of implicit bias and oppression can converge into one’s overall experience with race, sexuality, gender, etc.,” the letter read. Honestly, that is something every university should educate students on. Every major organization runs through it with employees now.

The rest I can't read because of subscriber restrictions, but I would be interested to hear about the other requests...
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby AustinPerson » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:57 am

Not sure why racial bias training is so offensive to so many people - everyone could probably learn something.
AustinPerson
All-American

Postby Dukie » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:13 am

JasonB wrote:First demand is really implicit bias training: “It should discuss intersectionality and how different forms of implicit bias and oppression can converge into one’s overall experience with race, sexuality, gender, etc.,” the letter read. Honestly, that is something every university should educate students on. Every major organization runs through it with employees now.

The rest I can't read because of subscriber restrictions, but I would be interested to hear about the other requests...

Sure, here are 2-8:

2: community service opportunities outside of HP (and I assume, UP)
3: a Black mental health professional in the athletic department
4: non-academic life-prep education for athletes (financial literacy, voting education, career development)
5: Election Day as a day off
6. "General priority placed on education" including athletes not feeling pressured into the Applied Physiology and Sport Management major
7. Zero-tolerance policy in the athletic department for racist behaviors
8. A place for student-athletes across sports to congregate

Or we could discuss mr. pony's fun idea to bring Chicago violence into this thread. :roll:
Dukie
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:44 am

They should go sing Billy Joel's "Honesty" on the steps of Dallas Hall to generate some more attention.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby JasonB » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:54 am

Dukie wrote:
JasonB wrote:First demand is really implicit bias training: “It should discuss intersectionality and how different forms of implicit bias and oppression can converge into one’s overall experience with race, sexuality, gender, etc.,” the letter read. Honestly, that is something every university should educate students on. Every major organization runs through it with employees now.

Sure, here are 2-8:

4: non-academic life-prep education for athletes (financial literacy, voting education, career development)
6. "General priority placed on education" including athletes not feeling pressured into the Applied Physiology and Sport Management major

Or we could discuss mr. pony's fun idea to bring Chicago violence into this thread. :roll:

2 - fair enough. Football team does a lot of that, and there may be a lot of opportunities the athletes are not aware of, but that shouldn't be a problem.
3 - I would expand this, there should probably be a minority counseling to all minorities on campus.
4 - I would guess that SD would be more than happy to add this to the football after life program.
5 - That should be done throughout the United States.
6 - While having those majors is important, I would be really disappointed if our players felt pressure to do those majors. That pressure should be removed if it is there.
7 - Again, expand this to the entire school.
8 - Isn't that the IPF?

Those don't seem like crazy requests at all. Nothing close to the level we have seen at other Universities. Very reasonable.
JasonB

Postby MustangStealth » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:05 am

AustinPerson wrote:Not sure why racial bias training is so offensive to so many people - everyone could probably learn something.

If you are teaching that all people of a certain skin color have intrinsic biases, then you are teaching them to be biased.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby leopold » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:42 am

At least they were smart enough not to ask for 50%, I'll give them that.

When we say 'athletes' do we mean football players or is the tennis team attempting to say that they are being exploited as well?

It's all a big 'meh' to me. I'm aware of who Trina Grillo is and can at least hold a basic discussion on the debate over what Biological Essentialism is in Race, Gender, and Sexuality so I'm not really awe by any of this, but I'm not really either impressed or challenged by this. I do wonder the long-term affects of just saying yes to demands like this when you aren't Texas or Alabama, but the demands themselves aren't exactly major.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:00 pm

This is a parody, right?

Just because organizations virtue signal doesn't mean that they're right. Everyone has biases, it's human nature to do so. Oppression? Who's oppressed? Are we talking about the Muslims in China or those in the slave trade in the Middle East? Not aware of anyone in the US unless someone has purchased a working time machine.

Intersectionality is a cult and not something that should be pushed to impressionable minds.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:10 pm

Dukie wrote:

Sure, here are 2-8:

Since the first point needs some serious refinement and I've addressed that with Mr. Progressive (JasonB)

2) Absolutely and should be encourage by EVERYONE on campus. Hell make it mandatory for graduation so long as there is a freedom to choose.
3) Don't we already have that? https://www.smu.edu/StudentAffairs/DrBobSmithHealthCenter/Counseling-Services
4) Isn't this why we went to college? Isn't this the whole point of general electives? I mean I'm fine with making business classes mandatory to all students because financial acumen is never a bad thing to have.
5) Seems incredibly lazy given that the government has offered early voting periods so people can do this for lunch. I've always done that since my first job. However, I'm never above getting another day off I guess...
6) Seems a bit confusing. Are we forcing student athletes to pick sports degrees? This seems a bit odd but if that were the case then yes absolutely end that practice. If this is because the other degrees are more difficult and they want to lower the standards then I'm completely against it.
7) I completely disagree with this approach. I think people who offend deserve a second chance to redeem themselves and seek forgiveness. After all, this once was a Christian university, therefore some sort of constructive discipline should be put forth. I'm completely against cancel culture.
8) Agree with JasonB (I believe), the IPF sounds great.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby leopold » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:22 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:

This is a parody, right?

Just because organizations virtue signal doesn't mean that they're right. Everyone has biases, it's human nature to do so. Oppression? Who's oppressed? Are we talking about the Muslims in China or those in the slave trade in the Middle East? Not aware of anyone in the US unless someone has purchased a working time machine.

Intersectionality is a cult and not something that should be pushed to impressionable minds.

No, it's not a parody, and Intersectionality has made relevant points. In fact, as some have pointed out, it's actually mainstream 'progressives' who are the worst at it - reproductive rights 'advocates' have been some of the most racist b*stards in american history.

And some of these I'd be disappointed if we weren't doing - are we pushing kids into certain majors? I have no desire, nor have I ever had any desire, to tell a student what he has to major in. And I'd also be disappointed if we didn't provide kids a chance to volunteer outside of HP/UP - what the heck good is a 'D' campaign if we don't actually have the school work with people outside of a mile from the school?

Again, it's all a big 'meh' to me. There are some legitimate points here, I'd just want to discuss the details.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby AusTxPony » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:42 am

I say it would be incredibly pig-headed not to have a serious discussion with the kids regarding each of these points. These young men have listed them, hopefully with discussion amongst themselves, and the "adults" of SMU should take their concerns seriously. We are all on the same side of making our University better. Nothing wrong with a little intellectual unbiased introspection of the details.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby malonish » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:04 am

MustangStealth wrote:
AustinPerson wrote:Not sure why racial bias training is so offensive to so many people - everyone could probably learn something.

If you are teaching that all people of a certain skin color have intrinsic biases, then you are teaching them to be biased.

No.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:22 am

As sad and ignorant as the original post is, it should not be a surprise to anyone. mr. pony has posted his “views” on PFs for 15 years. There are still a lot of racist people out there.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:47 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:As sad and ignorant as the original post is, it should not be a surprise to anyone. mr. pony has posted his “views” on PFs for 15 years. There are still a lot of racist people out there.

Lol, I'm guessing you are a proud owner of white fragility and maybe just maybe Robin D'Angelo might be able to forgive your sins. :lol:
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Football