PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Announces 2020 Football Schedule Updates

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby PonyPride » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:59 pm

From SMUMustangs.com:

DALLAS (SMU) – SMU announced two changes to the 2020 Mustang Football schedule on Saturday, adding TCU back to the schedule and changing the date of the Stephen F. Austin game.

The Mustangs and Horned Frogs will square off in the 100th Battle for the Iron Skillet on Sept. 12 in Fort Worth. The game was originally scheduled for Sept. 26 in Dallas this season, but due to Big XII scheduling restrictions was cancelled.

With the addition, SMU's game against Stephen F. Austin set for Sept. 12 at Gerald J. Ford Stadium will now be played on Sept. 26.

"We want to thank TCU Athletics Director Jeremiah Donati and head coach Gary Patterson for re-engaging us when their schedule changed," said SMU Athletics Director Rick Hart. "We are excited to continue this important rivalry, especially for our team and fans.

"We also want to thank SFA and Athletics Director Ryan Ivey for being flexible and agreeing to move our home game to Sept. 26 so that TCU could return to our 2020 slate."

If requested, those who have already purchased season tickets can receive a prorated credit on next season's ticket, make it a tax-deductible donation or, upon request, a prorated refund.

SMU is scheduled to open the season Sept. 5 at Texas State.

Sept. 5 at Texas State
Sept. 12 at TCU
Sept. 19 at North Texas
Sept. 26 Stephen F. Austin
Oct. 1 Memphis
Oct. 17 at Tulane
Oct. 24 Cincinnati
Oct. 31 Navy
Nov. 5 at Temple
Nov. 14 at Tulsa
Nov. 21 Houston
Nov. 28 at ECU

No game times have been announced.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: SMU Announces 2020 Football Schedule Updates

Postby BUS » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:30 am

Is that the correct date for Texas State? I thought Aug 29th.
Thanks for information.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby mrydel » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:59 am

BUS wrote:Is that the correct date for Texas State? I thought Aug 29th.
Thanks for information.
They changed it back to the 5th a couple of weeks ago.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:35 pm

Nice to get the TCU game back but tough to have 7 road games this year assuming we make it thru the entire schedule. With no NCAA Championship, I suppose that means there will be no bowl games, either. Tough way for the seniors to finish their careers
Charleston Pony

Postby PonySnob » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:05 am

Need to be 3-0 heading into our first home game!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby BUS » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:37 am

Thanks Mark - Guess I missed the switchback.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby ponyboy » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:33 am

Charleston Pony wrote:Nice to get the TCU game back but tough to have 7 road games this year assuming we make it thru the entire schedule. With no NCAA Championship, I suppose that means there will be no bowl games, either. Tough way for the seniors to finish their careers

Yes, if true, no having bowl games is tough for the seniors. And adding TCU on the road when we expected a home game makes it a tougher climb for sure. But you can also see that game as an opportunity to beat a good team on the road and move up in the rankings.
ponyboy

Postby mrydel » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:12 am

NCAA does not oversee the playoff in the FBS. No reason it will not still take place if those participating have any say so.
mrydel

Postby PNW_Stang » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:12 pm

Am I the only one that thinks there won’t be any college football this year? I assume every conference plans on cancelling, but the Big 10 and PAC were dumb enough to do it early and screw their teams out of practices.

If students are on campus I think football should be allowed. I just don’t see the remaining conferences taking the risk. Hopefully I’m wrong.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby CA Mustang » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:17 pm

ponyboy wrote:Yes, if true, no having bowl games is tough for the seniors.

That's something else that's up in the air. A few bowl games have been cancelled, but most a waiting to see what happens during the season. However as half of FBS isn't playing (at this moment), the bowls don't know what to do.

mrydel wrote:NCAA does not oversee the playoff in the FBS. No reason it will not still take place if those participating have any say so.

It depends upon who is left. Right now, only about half of FBS schools are planning to play. Of those that plan to play, how many will be forced to stop during the season? Can you legitimately have a playoff if 33% (or less) of the FBS schools play a complete season?
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:40 pm

CA Mustang wrote:
ponyboy wrote:Yes, if true, no having bowl games is tough for the seniors.

That's something else that's up in the air. A few bowl games have been cancelled, but most a waiting to see what happens during the season. However as half of FBS isn't playing (at this moment), the bowls don't know what to do.

mrydel wrote:NCAA does not oversee the playoff in the FBS. No reason it will not still take place if those participating have any say so.

It depends upon who is left. Right now, only about half of FBS schools are planning to play. Of those that plan to play, how many will be forced to stop during the season? Can you legitimately have a playoff if 33% (or less) of the FBS schools play a complete season?
I agree with your last paragraph. My point was that the NCAA announced canceling of all championships does not directly affect the FBS Playoffs. And I personally think that if somehow the P3 et al complete their seasons they should have some kind of a playoff. The Big 10 and PAC 12 can have their own for St Patrick’s Day.
mrydel

Postby JasonB » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:40 pm

After looking at the pictures of OSU, Auburn, and Bama students getting back on campus... there is no way those colleges are going to be able to stay open. Hopefully, SMU students are more responsible with the behavior pledge that was sent out. But if every other college closes down, it won't matter.

That said, I would bet that most schools have a virtual option, and that the football players at most schools have been encouraged to take the virtual option rather than risk exposure in class. So, even if Universities shut down, there is a chance we still have football.

As for the bowl situation - whatever makes the most money will be the decision. If there is any chance that they can play them, they will play them. People are going to be stuck at home on staycations during the xmas holiday season. Bowls will be more watched than ever before.
JasonB

Postby PonySnob » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:29 pm

Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby EastStang » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:11 am

Imagine an 18 to 22 year old male with a chance to have intimate relations, will he stop to think, "gee I could get COVID" or will he simply listen to his biological urges?
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:44 pm

EastStang wrote:Imagine an 18 to 22 year old male with a chance to have intimate relations, will he stop to think, "gee I could get COVID" or will he simply listen to his biological urges?

If he is smart he will!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Next

Return to Football