PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UNC is imploding, one week into the semester

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

UNC is imploding, one week into the semester

Postby Dukie » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:55 pm

Four separate clusters of COVID thus far; quarantine facility at 96% capacity; all classes now switching to online instruction starting in 36 hours (but no word yet if students can stay on campus or will be sent away):

https://www.dailytarheel.com/article/20 ... -edit-0816

https://twitter.com/paigemasten/status/ ... 80352?s=10
Dukie
Heisman

Re: UNC is imploding, one week into the semester

Postby ponyboy » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:02 pm

Wow!
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mr. pony » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:30 pm

Panic is sad thing.
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyte » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:49 pm

Somebody mention panic right before the season?
ponyte

Postby SMU Spartan » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:25 pm

mr. pony wrote:Kids this age are in LITTLE danger at all.
They know it too.

(PLUS - asymptomatic transmission is “VERY RARE.” So said a WHO spokesperson in June. So ENOUGH about unintentionally giving it to “grandma.”)

Here’s a Fox News article for you if it helps.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/who-offi ... -very-rare

The amount of bad information being circulated by people on this forum is hilarious. shame on y’all.
SMU Spartan
Heisman

Postby Otto » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:00 pm

They know it too.

(PLUS - asymptomatic transmission is “VERY RARE.” So said a WHO spokesperson in June. So ENOUGH about unintentionally giving it to “grandma.”)

I'm confused. You say "they know it" ... meaning what?

Is the faculty and staff and administration of a well-regarded university, with a respected medical school, in on some well-orchestrated prank designed to shut down its beautiful campus and force nearly 20,000 undergrads (not sure how many grad students the school has) to go to remote learning?

And let's say, for the sake of argument, that that's the case. That begs the question: why?

UNC won't make more money that way, especially if sports are shut down.
It won't make any political popularity points.
It's not a move that generates PR for the university.
It doesn't help recruiting, either of athletes or to the student body in general.

So if "they know it" refers to the UNC administration, and this some kind of ploy, what possible reason would convince university officials to do it?
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Postby NY Pony » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:38 pm

Otto wrote:
They know it too.

I'm confused. You say "they know it" ... meaning what?

Is the faculty and staff and administration of a well-regarded university, with a respected medical school, in on some well-orchestrated prank designed to shut down its beautiful campus and force nearly 20,000 undergrads (not sure how many grad students the school has) to go to remote learning?

And let's say, for the sake of argument, that that's the case. That begs the question: why?

UNC won't make more money that way, especially if sports are shut down.
It won't make any political popularity points.
It's not a move that generates PR for the university.
It doesn't help recruiting, either of athletes or to the student body in general.

So if "they know it" refers to the UNC administration, and this some kind of ploy, what possible reason would convince university officials to do it?
The above is an example of how we got here in general. In everything. Too proud to admit we don’t know, then too proud to admit we are wrong when we are. Double down, then double down again. But you can’t bluff out of what’s real. Let’s call this what it is: a cash grab. So are you okay with it or not? (Full disclosure, I think schools should open but students can differ for a year and athletes can too and retain eligibility of a year).
NY Pony
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:44 pm

I think we should barricade ourselves in our homes and live in fear of a virus with a survival rate of somewhere around 99.8% for people under 65 until we find a vaccine
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby SMU Spartan » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:52 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:I think we should barricade ourselves in our homes and live in fear of a virus with a survival rate of somewhere around 99.8% for people under 65 until we find a vaccine

I too can also come of with false statistics to justify encouraging younger people to risk their longterm health so I can sit at home on my butt and watch a sport that has not feasible way of being safe in a bubble type format. :roll:

Imagine being so selfish and arrogant to write what you just wrote. Take a moment and reflect.
SMU Spartan
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:08 pm

SMU Spartan wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:I think we should barricade ourselves in our homes and live in fear of a virus with a survival rate of somewhere around 99.8% for people under 65 until we find a vaccine

I too can also come of with false statistics to justify encouraging younger people to risk their longterm health so I can sit at home on my butt and watch a sport that has not feasible way of being safe in a bubble type format. :roll:

Imagine being so selfish and arrogant to write what you just wrote. Take a moment and reflect.

I wasn’t referring to football, but to life in general. We are going to have a reckoning on our hands with respect to mental illness in the wake of this. CDC report last week said 11% of adults (and 1 in 4 people aged 18 to 24) have seriously considered suicide since the Corona shutdowns began. That is astounding. Substance abuse and alcoholism are up too. God knows what’s happening with child abuse; it’s obviously being underreported.

As far as football goes, these young men can make their own decisions. Many of them want to play. Others have opted out. I’m all for people making educated, informed decisions and assuming the risks that accompany them.
East Coast Mustang

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:47 pm

ECM, your profile pic is interesting. Didn't Herman Cain recently die?

https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing ... ymptomatic
Asymptomatic coronavirus patients "don't look any different from the symptomatic population" in terms of the viral load they carry....However, because asymptomatic people don't cough or sneeze, they might not be as efficient at spreading the virus as symptomatic people.

Word last Saturday at Ford Stadium was give this two months....
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:53 pm

tristatecoog wrote:ECM, your profile pic is interesting. Didn't Herman Cain recently die?

Asymptomatic coronavirus patients "don't look any different from the symptomatic population" in terms of the viral load they carry....However, because asymptomatic people don't cough or sneeze, they might not be as efficient at spreading the virus as symptomatic people.

Herman has been my profile picture for like 10 years. It’s not changing. RIP HC 9-9-9
East Coast Mustang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:54 pm

tristatecoog wrote:ECM, your profile pic is interesting. Didn't Herman Cain recently die?

The media won’t let this season go on for two months. They’re already trying to kill it off with whatever negative stories they can find.
East Coast Mustang

Postby gostangs » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:58 pm

SMU Spartan wrote:

They are not false. CDC has the survival rate in that age group at 99.7pct. Imagine being so selfish you want those young people to ruin their lives missing important experiences because you are scared of your shadow. At risk? Stay home but dont deny young people their full lives.
gostangs

Postby Hal » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:54 am

The media isn't "killing off" anything. It's reporting on what the conferences do.

A co-worker's daughter got coronavirus in April and "got over it" in early May -- and has had a sporadic cough ever since. Says her doc, nobody knows the long term effects yet.
Unless it kills you.
Her parents are terrified.
Hal
Varsity

Next

Return to Football