PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UNC is imploding, one week into the semester

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: UNC is imploding, one week into the semester

Postby PNW_Stang » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:07 pm

Hal wrote:The media isn't "killing off" anything. It's reporting on what the conferences do.

A co-worker's daughter got coronavirus in April and "got over it" in early May -- and has had a sporadic cough ever since. Says her doc, nobody knows the long term effects yet.
Unless it kills you.
Her parents are terrified.

Yeah I’m mostly scared of the long term effects. Know of a few people (through a degree of separation) that have been messed up for months. Read a lot about people with all sorts of lingering symptoms, like double vision.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby PNW_Stang » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:10 pm

tristatecoog wrote:ECM, your profile pic is interesting. Didn't Herman Cain recently die?

https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing ... ymptomatic
Asymptomatic coronavirus patients "don't look any different from the symptomatic population" in terms of the viral load they carry....However, because asymptomatic people don't cough or sneeze, they might not be as efficient at spreading the virus as symptomatic people.

Word last Saturday at Ford Stadium was give this two months....

Like 11 days after going to Trumps Tulsa rally and not wearing a mask.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby malonish » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:34 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
malonish wrote:
PonyTime wrote:
Where is the outrage for our front-line grocery workers?

Outrage is there. It has put a spotlight on how little we pay the backbone of a functioning system. The effort to call them heroes is lame because they aren't doing it out of the goodness of their heart- they have such low pay and benefits that missing work is not an option so they shall have to risk the front line for said low pay.

You have to feel bad for the low hourly wage "essential" retail workers. They got their $1200 stimulus checks, but most don't make as much as many other relatively low paid but now laid off workers who have been collecting 6 bills/week on top of whatever their state paid them.

All the folks in charge(no one specific) knew this 1200 would go straight to rent/mortgage and I'm convinced it was just an implicit banking bailout. Otherwise there would have been more monthly stimulus payments.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Casey » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:23 pm

Imagine being an international student without big money, traveling all the way to Chapel Hill and now being sent home
Once a Mustang, ALWAYS a Mustang!
Casey
All-American

Postby HubbaHubba » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:33 pm

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 612291002/

UNC temporarily suspends ALL fallsports.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby SMU Spartan » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:07 am

SMU Spartan
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:49 am

There is a nasty rumor going around that colleges are opening and telling students a bunch of COVID rules that they will never follow. Then people get sick, schools shut down and no one can complain about getting tuition refunds for remote learning since the students didn't follow the rules for campus' to stay open. I wouldn't be surprised if there were no dorm refunds either. And these schools allegedly teach ethics.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:18 pm

EastStang wrote:There is a nasty rumor going around that colleges are opening and telling students a bunch of COVID rules that they will never follow. Then people get sick, schools shut down and no one can complain about getting tuition refunds for remote learning since the students didn't follow the rules for campus' to stay open. I wouldn't be surprised if there were no dorm refunds either. And these schools allegedly teach ethics.

Interesting theory. I could see that happening.

I highly doubt SMU is doing that though. I can't think of a single time the SMU administration has ever been unethical.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby JasonB » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:27 pm

They literally gave it the good ole college try.
JasonB

Postby Sonny Disposition » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:42 pm

Otto wrote:
mr. pony wrote:Kids this age are in LITTLE danger at all.
They know it too.

(PLUS - asymptomatic transmission is “VERY RARE.” So said a WHO spokesperson in June. So ENOUGH about unintentionally giving it to “grandma.”)

I'm confused. You say "they know it" ... meaning what?

And who is THEY?

Did someone rope in government and educational and medical officials in literally every country on the planet to coordinate some sort of global PUNK'D episode?
Sonny Disposition

Postby Sonny Disposition » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:50 pm

EastStang wrote:Let's see you get back to campus, call a girl friend you went out with some last year, good night kiss (maybe more) and then go to a bar with your buds, order a pitcher which everyone grabs, its hot, you sweat, and the virus spreads. Young people are going to be social. Either you accept that they will be social and some get sick or you keep them locked down until next fall and do remote learning. Its not rocket science here. I truly believe that the death rate for people in that age group are even lower since there are a bunch of non-symptomatics who have never been tested.

You're exactly right. Students have and will do stupid things. One of the main guys at Notre Dame said off-campus social outings were what brought the germs back to campus after they opened under a strict plan of protocols, etc. Now students are getting suspended over it:

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/local-news/o ... s6sy6qw9FQ
Sonny Disposition

Postby PonyPower » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:04 pm

UNC has suspended all fall sports
PonyPower
All-American

Postby HubbaHubba » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:08 pm

PonyPower wrote:UNC has suspended all fall sports

I posted this 5 days ago but now they're back at it.

https://247sports.com/Article/North-Car ... 150581313/
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby gostangs » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:29 pm

For those following along at home, DFW covid numbers way down last few days. The theory of t-cell immunity plus antibody immunity combining to cause the virus to run out of victims seems to have some merit. Curve is basically the same across dozens of cities and countries.
gostangs

Postby SMU Spartan » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:04 pm

https://www.al.com/news/2020/08/univers ... reddit.com

Curve going down doesn't matter if you have large populations of students not following distance/mask protocol. I feel so bad for older professors.
SMU Spartan
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football