PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UNC is imploding, one week into the semester

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: UNC is imploding, one week into the semester

Postby EastStang » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:10 am

I can remember a few times at SMU where students didn't follow safety protocols.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby malonish » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:54 am

gostangs wrote:For those following along at home, DFW covid numbers way down last few days. The theory of t-cell immunity plus antibody immunity combining to cause the virus to run out of victims seems to have some merit. Curve is basically the same across dozens of cities and countries.

It couldn't possibly be the mask usage mandates though. That's just silly-billy theory.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Caballo » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:36 am

I have researched it, but can't find the answer. How many students at UNC have died from this Covid outbreak? Has anyone seen any statistics on the mortality rate?
Caballo
All-American

Postby JasonB » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:14 pm

Caballo wrote:I have researched it, but can't find the answer. How many students at UNC have died from this Covid outbreak? Has anyone seen any statistics on the mortality rate?

Alabama seems like they have a good tracking mechanism. They were able to differentiate the 800 cases as post-university start rather than before the kids got to campus. They also are tracking both students and professors. Data that will come out of this:

- How many students die, how many are hospitalized, and how many have long term illnesses
- How many professors/staff are infected/die/hospital/long term
- If it spreads to the greater Tuscaloosa population (not sure what the city mask/bar/restaurant/church/indoor space regulations are).
JasonB

Postby gostangs » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:19 pm

malonish wrote:
gostangs wrote:For those following along at home, DFW covid numbers way down last few days. The theory of t-cell immunity plus antibody immunity combining to cause the virus to run out of victims seems to have some merit. Curve is basically the same across dozens of cities and countries.

It couldn't possibly be the mask usage mandates though. That's just silly-billy theory.

Technically they are all theories - correlation is not causation. All I know is the rate of increase of infection and subsequent reduction in infections have been remarkably similar across all countries and geographies - regardless of percentage of population wearing masks.
gostangs

Postby JasonB » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:00 am

gostangs wrote:
malonish wrote:

Technically they are all theories - correlation is not causation. All I know is the rate of increase of infection and subsequent reduction in infections have been remarkably similar across all countries and geographies - regardless of percentage of population wearing masks.

Correct, lots of correlations - masks and policy changes as the numbers creep up.

What I can tell you, though, is that in Texas and the other countries we aren't anywhere near the 20% infection rate that would be necessary for the t-cell theory to take hold. We are way under 10% across Texas.
JasonB

Postby JasonB » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:13 am

Also, just a slight clarification on the science.

The t-cell theory... if that is true, it means people will get less sick from the virus. Not that they won't contract it at all.

If the t-cell theory is true, what you will see in the data is that the number of cases will continue to rise, but the number of hospitalizations and deaths resulting from those infections would drop drastically across all age groups.

That isn't what we have seen in Texas (or other parts of the world). We have seen a significant drop in cases once the processes are put into place.

I hope that helps. The t-cell theory is certainly out there and possible, but we haven't really seen the data that would indicate that it is taking place. Yet. Everyone so far is taking action well before it would theoretically get to the point of t-cells having an impact. Even in Sweden, the public reduced going out in public significantly and wore masks out and about even though there wasn't a government mandate. So they aren't close to a high transmission rate in the population.
JasonB

Postby DallasDiehard » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:34 pm

Bama reported 531 cases Monday. Tuscaloosa has closed all bars for 2 weeks.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby Caballo » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:49 am

JasonB wrote:
Caballo wrote:I have researched it, but can't find the answer. How many students at UNC have died from this Covid outbreak? Has anyone seen any statistics on the mortality rate?

Alabama seems like they have a good tracking mechanism. They were able to differentiate the 800 cases as post-university start rather than before the kids got to campus. They also are tracking both students and professors. Data that will come out of this:

- How many students die, how many are hospitalized, and how many have long term illnesses
- How many professors/staff are infected/die/hospital/long term
- If it spreads to the greater Tuscaloosa population (not sure what the city mask/bar/restaurant/church/indoor space regulations are).

I found the answer to my question about the UNC student mortality. It is zero. We'll see how many die from the Covid outbreak in Tuscaloosa.
Caballo
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:32 am

Risk to college students is very, very low. It is possible, during that limited time period when they might be carrying the virus, for them to pass it along to those for whom the risk is higher.
ponyboy

Postby tristatecoog » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:45 am

Caballo wrote:
JasonB wrote:
Caballo wrote:
I found the answer to my question about the UNC student mortality. It is zero. We'll see how many die from the Covid outbreak in Tuscaloosa.

How about all of the Research Triangle where faculty and staff live? What about workers at places where UNC students shop, or are UNC students all quarantined on campus? Also, isn't it pretty soon to be using mortality rates? It's only August 28 and I assume it takes a few weeks for people to die from Covid.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyPride » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:22 am

Eight Greek houses at Indiana quarantined
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby Nacho » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:23 am

Younger people may not die in great numbers but they do transmit the disease to the rest of the population who are more susceptible to the terrible effects of COVID-19. Soon we will be at 300,000 COVID deaths. The flu kills around 50,,000 to 75,000 people annually. This is not the flu.
Nacho

Postby gostangs » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:44 am

Nacho wrote:Younger people may not die in great numbers but they do transmit the disease to the rest of the population who are more susceptible to the terrible effects of COVID-19. Soon we will be at 300,000 COVID deaths. The flu kills around 50,,000 to 75,000 people annually. This is not the flu.

If you are older or susceptible stay away. Don’t expect other people to put their lives completely on hold for you, robbing them of every normal experience that young people should be having.
gostangs

Postby ponyboy » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:31 pm

Agreed.
ponyboy

PreviousNext

Return to Football