PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Season predictions?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Season predictions?

Postby NY Pony » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:13 pm

Okay, it’s time... How many wins? How many games before it’s shut down?

4-1 with loss to Memphis before the season is canned around 10/5. Finish around #21.
NY Pony
All-American

Re: Season predictions?

Postby Dukie » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:58 am

NY Pony wrote:Okay, it’s time... How many wins? How many games before it’s shut down?

4-1 with loss to Memphis before the season is canned around 10/5. Finish around #21.

If we play Memphis, we're gonna beat Memphis.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:34 am

I'm still hoping for breathalyzer and other instant test mechanisms to be available end of September that allow us to keep things going.

- QB - all-conference
- WR - all-conference
- TE - all-conference
- RB - average until someone scares the other team?
- OL - above average pass, average run. Better depth than we have had in ages. We need someone who can manhandle opponents, just dominate. I don't think we have that player yet. It would push the line up to all-conference.
- DE - average. Need someone to develop opposite Cox to go above average or all-conference.
- DT - below average. Unproven potential. That said, our OL should be the best in a while, and if they are having problem running at practice it might be a good sign at DT.
- LB - Average. Delano is above average. McBride all conference against run, below average against pass. is RM healthy? Productivity is required from the Fox, can we generate something there? Lots of unknowns, this could be above average or all conference even. But pre-season have to rate as average.
- CB - Above average. Good starters and now apparently good depth. Maybe potential for all-conference?
- S - below average. Lots of talent, nobody is proven. Lots of potential to be better, but going in have to consider below average.
- K/P - below average. Potential to be better, but you have a K who couldn't break through at UT and an unknown punter. Much higher upside potential, but have to see it in a game.

Prediction: we have the best offense in conference. Our DT is much better than expected, and our defense surprises with above average performances, despite inconsistencies and big plays given up at safety.

9-2 (someone cancels a game because of Covid), win the West and go to the conference championship game.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby AusTxPony » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:11 pm

As usual, Jason pretty much nails it. I think we win 10 games this season. Which ones, only Covid knows.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:49 pm

Yes, great analysis as always. You don't mention Moore. He should be a force at LB. And I am hearing that It's going to be night and day with respect to the kicking game this year vs. last.
ponyboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:22 pm

If we find a running game I think another 10 win season is possible, but assuming we are able to play the full 12 game schedule, I expect at least 8 wins from these guys.
Charleston Pony

Postby peruna81 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:07 am

This whole season will go one of two ways, both extreme...

1) For the first time since the early 80s, I believe SMU could run the table. Get to the AAC championship game. Win the fool thing. Go to what is left of the New Year's Six. Undefeated...I truly could see this happen.

2) On the same note, the Ponies could be bit up by injuries, the beer virus, and opponents who are motivated to put them back in the middle of the pack. 5 losses minimum.

The third rail in this scenario is a pandemic-induced stoppage. I'm still up in the air as to whether this might actually happen.

What I think is equally intriguing is that there might actually be issues of seating at Ford because of COVID safe-distancing and actual desire for tickets outstripping space...what a GOOD problem that would be!

The hurricane missed most of Texas, the sun is shining, and it is late August...give me a heaping-helping of Option #1, please!
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:58 am

There will be valid reasons to stop the season and valid reasons to push forward. I have no idea who is in charge so don't have a prediction as to what extent the season will be completed. If all 12 games are played, my expectation is 9 wins. I think they are all winnable this season which is exciting.
mustangxc

Postby leopold » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:32 pm

Jason B gave a breakdown that I'm not going to argue with so I'll just say that I see another 10 win season ahead. Honestly, we may have the best team in the conference, or at least as good as any team we play considering we don't play UCF, but I'm just not sold on us being able to win them all. Hope to be proven wrong.

10-2
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:43 pm

One thing I will add on the downside - SMU was an incredibly physical football team last year. Their practice habits drove that.

Because of Covid restrictions, practice this year isn't nearly as physical. That could have a negative impact on the team, especially early in the season if anyone remembers the slow starts we had under JJ, that were partially a result of the no hitting in practice.
JasonB

Postby BUS » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:13 pm

More of a feeling that real knowledge. But how did you get to this bowl game?

We rode the Bentley!!!
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby dalpony » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:21 am

Jason B - could be right on physical issue, however from what I have heard and read most teems have cut down on the physical aspects of practice due to safety protocols such as 14 days isolation polices for exposure or for actually testing positive - so we all the teams we play might be in the same boat
dalpony
Varsity

Postby ponyfan777 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:10 am

Undefeated as far as they let us go. Why Not! #2020
Go Ponies!!
DeanO~
ponyfan777
Varsity

Postby PNW_Stang » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:37 pm

It’s nice we have a game before TCU, and we are their first game. Will get us back in the swing of things. I would think RB is below average but the coaches seem to be excited about the group and didn’t go hard after a transfer.

As long as we done get multiple injuries at DT or S, should be able to win any game on the schedule.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby EastStang » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:27 pm

So, we still have 11 games. I think we'll lose at least 2 to someone. 9-2. TCU, Navy, Cincy, Memphis, Tulane and Houston are not pushovers. But would love to go undefeated and be able to say suck it. If Big Ten and Pac-12 are sitting out this season, you have to figure the AAC teams would be in the mix for the Final Four. Especially if one beat a good Big XII team. SEC #1, ACC #1, Big XII #1 and then either SEC #2 or AAC (if undefeated).
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Next

Return to Football