PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jane Doe v. SMU Civil Lawsuit

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jane Doe v. SMU Civil Lawsuit

Postby PonyTime » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:32 am

ponyboy wrote:http://www.ponyfans.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=88872

That explains why I missed it - Confused the "Very Disappointed" thread with the "Disappointed" thread - Thought that thread was all political and stopped reading it. Mods can delete this thread if they want.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Really disappointed!

Postby EastStang » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:55 am

When I was at SMU, if a crime was committed on campus, the UP Police handled it. During the "streaking" period, they called in DPD for help. So, if there was a "rape", why wasn't it handled by UP Police? I understand there may be student punishment as well, but if a cisgendered person was raped, then the perpetrator should be spending some time in prison. Now, if the UP Police investigated and determined there was insufficient proof to charge, then there might be university involvement. But if was advising someone accused of rape or making a rape accusation, I'd say, don't cooperate with the University because whatever you say, can be used against you.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:31 pm

Beyond the bigger issue of the alleged crime against the cisgendered female, it sounds like SMU could be in some potential Title IX hot water - which wouldn't be the first time unfortunately.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby mustangxc » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:39 pm

EastStang wrote:When I was at SMU, if a crime was committed on campus, the UP Police handled it. During the "streaking" period, they called in DPD for help. So, if there was a "rape", why wasn't it handled by UP Police? I understand there may be student punishment as well, but if a cisgendered person was raped, then the perpetrator should be spending some time in prison. Now, if the UP Police investigated and determined there was insufficient proof to charge, then there might be university involvement. But if was advising someone accused of rape or making a rape accusation, I'd say, don't cooperate with the University because whatever you say, can be used against you.

Does it matter whether the person is trans or cis? Regardless of how you may feel about gender, rape is rape and the violator should be held accountable no matter who the victim is.
mustangxc

Postby EastStang » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:08 pm

I personally don't care how the person identifies, I was simply going with the gender reported in the paper. I agree, rape is rape.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby mtrout » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:35 pm

Sad! If you get raped or assaulted you unfortunately have to go HAM and go through with instant reporting via the hospital or equivalent route otherwise who knows what resolution there will be.

Sad sad sad if these allegations are true and I have no reason to believe they’re not.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:58 pm

mtrout wrote:Sad! If you get raped or assaulted you unfortunately have to go HAM and go through with instant reporting via the hospital or equivalent route otherwise who knows what resolution there will be.

Sad sad sad if these allegations are true and I have no reason to believe they’re not.

We also have no reason to believe they are. We just don’t know. People make up things all the time, and there are tragic situations where it is true all the time. We shouldn’t suppose we know either way.
gostangs

Postby Arkpony » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:56 pm

It’s a plaintiffs complaint. Did you expect it to say SMU followed Title IX procedures correctly?
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby smusportspage » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:02 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
Mustang75 wrote:Why was the victim described as 'cisgendered'? Is there something to read between the lines?

I think it is a good idea for the media to be specific in order to avoid any prejudice or bias in the reader.

It also helps alleviate any confusion interpreting subsequent pronouns in the article.

So a reader is prejudiced or biased when seeing the word female? I guess my English classes were too long ago. Just got to love these days! LOL.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby mr. pony » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:23 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:“The lawsuit alleges that the school didn’t follow its own investigation policies.”

This is a serious criminal offense, exactly what type of investigation was SMU responsible for? Shouldn’t that be the responsibility of the the UPPD?

I see this over and over again. Guess what, Penn St, Baylor, SMU, the Catholic Church, etc etc etc....they’re all conflicted. They try to cover up and it only makes matters worse, including when the inevitable financial settlements occur.

Thanks for that, Know-It-All! Or is it Columbo?
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Football