PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Has win over UNT changed your opinion of the team?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Has win over UNT changed your opinion of the team?

Postby PonyFan » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:00 pm

After Texas State, I was not very optimistic. I thought they played bad, despite getting a win.

Saturday changed that. I still don't think they match last year's wins total, but I slept better last night than I did two Sundays ago. If nothing else, we might be able to outscore more teams than I thought.

Also hard to tell, because both opponents have been garbage.

Anyone else?
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Re: Has win over UNT changed your opinion of the team?

Postby mustangxc » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:36 pm

My opinion is back to being what it was before the start of the season. Great to see the team finally live up to pre-season expectations! I cannot predict what our season record will be as luck will be a huge factor this season given the heavy hand COVID-19 is playing. If we catch Memphis half asleep since they haven't played a game in several weeks and we are clicking we could win that game easily. If we stay healthy and others don't we could end up undefeated. On the other hand, if we catch the injury bug or COVID-19 spreads throughout the team and we are unable to practice and play for several weeks we could lose our rhythm and lose to teams like Tulane, Tulsa, and ECU.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BIGHORSE » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:56 pm

Offense looks great, Defense needs help, we might need to score 100 to beat Memphis.
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:17 pm

Yes, my opinion is changed. Good win.
ponyboy

Postby JasonB » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:59 pm

Offensively, the only thing that concerned me after the first game was RG. The OL was much, much better on Saturday. Still some blown blocks, and when we ran big packages, we would get blown up behind the line too often. Bentley's speed to the hole hides some problems, but also we spread things out more when he is in and it helps. We need to keep in mind that if we lost McBryde and Robinson right before the game started, we would really, really struggle against the run over the course of the game. So I'll wait on declaring the running game a complete success.

Defensively, I still don't like the 3-4 and the hybrid sets. 97 in coverage doesn't scare anyone in the Stang position. When the Cowboys ran a 3-4, every time Ware would go back in coverage, that made the other team sigh in relief. I get that with the 3 man front we are trying to draw the other team to run more often, but it really doesn't put us in great positions. That said, we fixed a lot of our spacing issues with the 3 down linemen, so that was better. I am not seeing the Fox position make enough plays either. Denbow was chasing people from behind a lot, and Cam Jones made some mistakes. The safety position should get better as the season goes along, but there are a lot of mistakes being made there as well. Safety was much better than the Texas State game, but still has a ways to go.
JasonB

Postby Casey » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:33 pm

My view of the team hasn't changed a lot. TxState and NTSU are weak.
Once a Mustang, ALWAYS a Mustang!
Casey
All-American

Postby DC-Pony » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:58 pm

Felt better about Offense. But the passing game dropped off badly in execution after the first quarter of this game. So one really impressive quarter out of 8 raises more questions than this game answered.

UBentIV is legit. Vision, quickness, toughness, speed...check, check, check and check. And he just overall oozes moxy.

Defense raises questions, overall.

Question for you, Jason, or others that can answer: I know Shaine Haisley is on the depth chart at the Mike LB spot behind McBride, but it looks like he was in at the Fox (for Denbow)...is that your read? If not, with his apparent speed and nose for the QB/ball runner, why wouldn’t we move Haisley to the Fox? Denbow, even at the Fox, still doesn’t have enough high D1 game speed.

Anyone know if Richard Moore could be back for SFA?
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:44 pm

DC-Pony wrote:Felt better about Offense. But the passing game dropped off badly in execution after the first quarter of this game. So one really impressive quarter out of 8 raises more questions than this game answered.

UBentIV is legit. Vision, quickness, toughness, speed...check, check, check and check. And he just overall oozes moxy.

Defense raises questions, overall.

Question for you, Jason, or others that can answer: I know Shaine Haisley is on the depth chart at the Mike LB spot behind McBride, but it looks like he was in at the Fox (for Denbow)...is that your read? If not, with his apparent speed and nose for the QB/ball runner, why wouldn’t we move Haisley to the Fox? Denbow, even at the Fox, still doesn’t have enough high D1 game speed.

Anyone know if Richard Moore could be back for SFA?

In the past, Shane was the backup for Delano. 43 was the backup for McBride. I wouldn't be surprised if they put Shane in for passing downs just to get more speed on the field.

Fox is an interesting concept because I haven't seen Denbow or Jones make plays much this year. Jones has missed more tackles than Denbow. I haven't really noticed Dearman in the game, he was supposed to be a third option.

I did notice that they ran 3 corners out there a couple of times, with Crossley in the slot. That was a welcome sight.
JasonB

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:43 pm

Casey wrote:My view of the team hasn't changed a lot. TxState and NTSU are weak.

This. The true test will be Memphis. The defense has to firm up to keep them contained. They didn't seem as prolific as they were last year against Arkie St. so hopefully we can knock them out at home. Defense gave up 500+ yards and there were at least 2 deep passes that the QB just missed the receiver that could have added two TDs to NTCC's scoreboard. The offense looked immensely better and that's what's going to determine the game against Memphis much like last year (almost a pseudo Tech vs Baylor match up).
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustang2 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:27 am

Yes. For two reasons: (1) It was quite the [deleted] kicking and (2) SMU was very workmanlike about it.
Mustang2

Return to Football