PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

4 UNT players/staff test+ for Covid - cancels UH Game Sat

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 4 UNT players/staff test+ for Covid - cancels UH Game Sa

Postby Terry Webster » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:06 pm

Cinci has gone to no fans for the next 2 home games.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby BUS » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:38 am

CJpony16 - That is what I was thinking. IF... IF the exposure was as I stated, not much of a concern. If, the DT and QB are the ones the exposure is much larger.

This is real but you have a 99.98 percent chance of healing with just your immune system. Granted that is without a secondary issue.

Two new words I learned from CDC
Comorbidity and Multi-morbidity.

Go Mustangs, wash, if your sick stay in your room and pray for healing.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Horseshoe » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:55 am

Terry Webster wrote:Cinci has gone to no fans for the next 2 home games.

I assume more teams will do this.

How long until Dana Holgorsen cries about UNT erring on the side of caution, just like he whined about Baylor doing the same thing?
Horseshoe
All-American

Postby mr. pony » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:58 am

Charleston Pony wrote:Better get accustomed to this as we head into the traditional "sick" season. I suspect our day will come and SMU's schedule will be disrupted at some point. Just hope nobody gets seriously ill or has any long term consequences if/when they do get this thing. As someone who provides daycare for 2 grandchildren who are attending pre-school 3 days/week I've about resigned myself to the probability that my wife and I will get this bug at some point. Got our early flu shots but that affords little protection when all is said and done.

Per the CDC, recently:
Under 70 years of age, your chance of surviving is over 99%.
Over 70, it's almost 95%
Under 20, almost ZERO chance of not surviving it.

Stop the fear.
(As for the much ballyhooed 200,000 figure, it’s inflated big time.)
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:54 am

mr. pony wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:Better get accustomed to this as we head into the traditional "sick" season. I suspect our day will come and SMU's schedule will be disrupted at some point. Just hope nobody gets seriously ill or has any long term consequences if/when they do get this thing. As someone who provides daycare for 2 grandchildren who are attending pre-school 3 days/week I've about resigned myself to the probability that my wife and I will get this bug at some point. Got our early flu shots but that affords little protection when all is said and done.

Per the CDC, recently:
Under 70 years of age, your chance of surviving is over 99%.
Over 70, it's almost 95%
Under 20, almost ZERO chance of not surviving it.

Stop the fear.
(As for the much ballyhooed 200,000 figure, it’s inflated big time.)

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covi ... deaths.htm

They have a great excel spreadsheet, where you can see excess deaths by state, by week, for the last 3 years.

You will quite clearly see that numbers track to normal in the previous years, with the exception of a two week period in a really bad flu season where deaths were 20% above average.

Then, you can clearly compare this year, where the excess deaths track the outbreaks and we have several weeks here in Texas where we are at 20, 30, 40, and 50% above normal deaths.

The 200K is, if anything, and understatement, and the data is very clearly there to show it.

There are certainly people overplaying the seriousness of the disease, but to underplay it and pretend that certain facts don't exist is irresponsible.
JasonB

Postby Topper » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:39 pm

Dr. Fauci put out a well reasoned statement pointing out how much we don't know about the long term effects of this virus. He mentions people whose symptoms recur after they seem to have recovered. He also points out that many viruses, such as chicken pox, lead to unforeseen complications decades later. We just don't know enough to say that it doesn't really harm young people and it is crazy to unnecessarily risk their exposure to such an unknown viral agent at this point.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:21 pm

At what cost, at what cost, at what cost? That's the question we should all be asking. We spend other people's money (i.e. our children and grandchildren's money) like it's going out of style. Plus, life's too short to be scared of living it.
ponyboy

Postby Casey » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:26 pm

I'd rather err on the side of caution for a while than die young. I've been to 2 funerals this year and would have been at 2 more if not for covid restrictions. That's too damn many.
Once a Mustang, ALWAYS a Mustang!
Casey
All-American

Previous

Return to Football