PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

4 UNT players/staff test+ for Covid - cancels UH Game Sat

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

4 UNT players/staff test+ for Covid - cancels UH Game Sat

Postby SmooBoy » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:32 pm

Now wondering if our guys are ok...
SmooBoy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: 4 UNT players/staff test+ for Covid - cancels UH Game Sa

Postby ponyboy » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:33 pm

Good question. I'd guess it depends on whether our guys had maskless contact with a positively-tested UNT player on the field. Or do they have to have a positive test to disqualify someone?
ponyboy

Postby BUS » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:40 pm

OR, this could be defined as three coaches and the field goal holder.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Dukie » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:52 pm

If this continues for a few more weeks I may start to feel sorry for UH. Maybe.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:01 pm

Ha
ponyboy

Postby BUS » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:14 pm

Dukie - Oh my no.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:31 pm

Better get accustomed to this as we head into the traditional "sick" season. I suspect our day will come and SMU's schedule will be disrupted at some point. Just hope nobody gets seriously ill or has any long term consequences if/when they do get this thing. As someone who provides daycare for 2 grandchildren who are attending pre-school 3 days/week I've about resigned myself to the probability that my wife and I will get this bug at some point. Got our early flu shots but that affords little protection when all is said and done.
Charleston Pony

Postby fan » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:35 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Better get accustomed to this as we head into the traditional "sick" season. I suspect our day will come and SMU's schedule will be disrupted at some point. Just hope nobody gets seriously ill or has any long term consequences if/when they do get this thing. As someone who provides daycare for 2 grandchildren who are attending pre-school 3 days/week I've about resigned myself to the probability that my wife and I will get this bug at some point. Got our early flu shots but that affords little protection when all is said and done.

God bless you for taking the risk of caring for those kids. Prayers headed your way.
Our day will definitely come-- based on the North Texas situation it might even be this week.
fan
Varsity

Postby BleedingRed+Blue » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:05 am

BUS wrote:OR, this could be defined as three coaches and the field goal holder.

What difference does their position or role make? It's no less serious if it's the holder or the quarterback.
BleedingRed+Blue
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:34 am

It seems games are primarily being postponed/cancelled if/when one of the teams has confirmed cases of Covid among players, coaches or staff but my concern is that IF they take this to the next level and start postponing games because of contact tracing and the ensuing requests to quarantine/isolate players, the entire season could grind to a halt pretty quickly. It's obvious this bug is all over the country but we can't all just go live in a bubble. This one concerns me because it's driven by one of our conference mates

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... dame-game/
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:20 am

Charleston Pony wrote:It seems games are primarily being postponed/cancelled if/when one of the teams has confirmed cases of Covid among players, coaches or staff but my concern is that IF they take this to the next level and start postponing games because of contact tracing and the ensuing requests to quarantine/isolate players, the entire season could grind to a halt pretty quickly. It's obvious this bug is all over the country but we can't all just go live in a bubble. This one concerns me because it's driven by one of our conference mates

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... dame-game/

Contact tracing is the reason UNT cancelled with Houston. That is going to lead to the majority of cancellations.

The challenge you have with all of this is that everything is really an unknown for two weeks. For example, the odds are extremely low that a UNT player would have passed it on to an SMU player (non-symptomatic, no positive test, and outside). But if for some reason it did, it would not manifest itself in an SMU player for up to two weeks.

The challenge is that if you don't do contact tracing, you really have to test on a daily basis to avoid a significant breakout on the team.
JasonB

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:11 am

JasonB wrote:you really have to test on a daily basis to avoid a significant breakout on the team.

Yes because if I get tested at Noon today and it shows negative, but then I go to Walmart this afternoon at 4PM and catch Covid....the Noon negative test is worthless a few hours later.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CJPONY16 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:31 am

BleedingRed+Blue wrote:
BUS wrote:OR, this could be defined as three coaches and the field goal holder.

What difference does their position or role make? It's no less serious if it's the holder or the quarterback.

Because the other teams coaches and holder would have only interacted with their own team. If it was a starting DT, you have to worry about all of our OL/RB/QB he might have touched at some point.
CJPONY16
Junior Varsity

Postby numero_uno » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:24 pm

I'm a teacher, and our guidelines (I think they're in line with CDC recommendations) are if you have close (less than 6ft), un-masked, contact with someone who tests positive, for 15min (cumulative) or more, then you need to put quarantine protocols in place.

So, if you stay socially distanced (masked or not), you are relatively, safer.

But, I have a feeling, we will all catch it at some point. No matter what.

I'm still looking forward to seeing my crappy seats in sec 116 Sat. Pony Up!
numero_uno
Junior Varsity

Postby soccermom » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:04 pm

One of my friends, who gets bronchitis every winter, got Covid from her teenage Granddaughters right after July 4th. I was worried about how it would affect her. She had fever for one day, then body aches and stomach problems. She lost a little of her taste. It lasted about 10 days. She does tire easily but never experienced difficulty breathing. BTW, we celebrated the 4th w/them (and their Granddaughters). I was visiting her at her house the evening before she ran fever. None of the rest of us got it.
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Football