PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Preseason Prognostications

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Preseason Prognostications

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Aug 27, 2001 5:04 pm

O.K. kids, it's that time of year once again. Time to lay it on the line and prove to the world what a pigskin mastermind you truly are. Yes indeed, it's time to go on record with your best guess for the Mustangs 2001 record. Will our kids go undefeated, will they end up back in the doghouse, or somewhere in between?

For 2001, I'm callin' it 6-4-1

Wins against LA Tech, Hawaii (their turn to fly), San Jose State, Nevada, Tulsa and UTEP.

Losses against the Carolina teams, and as much as it pains me to admit, the froggies.

Will tie either Fresno State or Rice, with the other team going into the loss column.

Call me an optimist or a pessimist, but that's how I call 'em.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Re: Preseason Prognostications

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 27, 2001 5:53 pm

If there was ever a tough season to predict this is it. I think we will go 4-2 home, including one big upset. Wins over NC State, Hawaii, Utep and Rice. Bitter losses to Frogs and Fresno. On the road, I hate to do it but predict 1-4. Win over Nevada. Losses to La Tech, Unc, Tulsa, San Jose. I'd like to give us the Tulsa game, but they are really due to beat us. I dont think we have lost to them in Wac play yet. Overall, 5-6, but much more competitive games than last year. I feel confident in 5-6 because its the one record that makes Copeland's decision the hardest. If theres one thing I know its that nothing can be easy at SMU and controversy follows us everywhere.

Postby jettison » Mon Aug 27, 2001 6:09 pm

This year I'm only going one week at a time, as nobody can really tell what the heck will happen in this conference we call the Western Athletic.

*Note: See prediction for week one.
jettison
Junior Varsity

Postby JasonB » Mon Aug 27, 2001 6:24 pm

Instead of doing a prediction, I will make a statement of how good we can say SMU is considering our results:

1) the OK season. I would consider an OK season 6-5. Wins against L.T., Hawaii, utep, nevada, tulsa and rice.

2) the good season: 7-4. Pickup the win at S.J. or against fresno.

3) the even better season: 8-3. Pickup both the S.J. and Fresno games, or one of those games and one of the N.C. games.

4) the great season: 9-2, losses v.s. TCU and NC.

Anything other than 6-5, I would say we are not a good football team. That said, I would be satisfied this year with a 6-5 record. baby steps Image.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Horseshoe » Mon Aug 27, 2001 7:02 pm

Stangster, you have us beating the same NCState team that smacked us by 41 last year? Your enthusiasm is unwavering. So you've got that going .... which is nice.
Horseshoe
All-American

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 27, 2001 7:09 pm

Horseshoe-

I called it a big upset and it would be. I think you win one and lose one every season that you dont expect. I only say NC State because its at home, they could easily overlook us, and we should want some revenge. We lost to Kansas 27-9 in 1999 and then reversed it 31-17 last year. Not unheard of.

Postby PK » Mon Aug 27, 2001 7:17 pm

I'm not brave enough to try and predict the whole season, but just judging from the number of turnovers UNC gave to Oklahoma I would say we have a better chance of beating them than NCState. On the other hand though, we will get NCState in our home and have to play UNC at their home. Hmmmmm, I say lets go beat them both!!!!!!!!

Go Mustangs!!Get angry!!Get tough!!Get mean!! ATTITUDE, ATTITUDE, ATTITUDE...is everything!!!!!
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponytalk » Mon Aug 27, 2001 7:57 pm

somewhere between 2-9 and 4-7, most likely in between.

TCU, UNC, NC State, and Fresno will all kill us. Rice and SJSU are beatable, Tulsa and Nevada are my two for sure predicted wins, La Tech is a throw up, and UTEP and Hawaii are unpredictable but I give them the benifit of the doubt.

I think the UNC and NC State games will be messy because NC State is awesome and UNC sees a nice break in their schedule with us and will put up some numbers to aid them in a rough schedule.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 28, 2001 12:44 pm

Ponytalk,

I agree the La Tech game is a throw up...I'll throw up if they beat us.
I must admit they are very dangerous in their first WAC game.

Postby D » Tue Aug 28, 2001 6:45 pm

I think 4-7. Won't be happy with it, but I think that's realistic.
D
Varsity

Return to Football