PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Injuries ?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Injuries ?

Postby Arkpony » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:41 pm

But does he have Reggies hands?
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Terry Webster » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:14 pm

Since he was the top juco receiver last year I suspect he does.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:24 am

I'm sure everyone saw this but looks like both are out for the season. At least the bye week gives the next man up some serious practice time.

https://247sports.com/college/smu/Article/TJ-McDaniel-Reggie-Roberson-injury-update-Sonny-Dykes-SMU-Football-Tulane-152627549/Amp/
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:33 am

TQ and Tamerik are going to need to show up quick.
JasonB

Postby Arkpony » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:31 am

Well that’s sure not good.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:43 am

JasonB wrote:TQ and Tamerik are going to need to show up quick.

Jason - confidence they can fill in at least 90% or is this going to be a rough couple of games, in your opinion?
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:18 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:

Jason - confidence they can fill in at least 90% or is this going to be a rough couple of games, in your opinion?

We need the two weeks.

Tamerik has always shown flashes in practice. I think there is a lot of talent there. But he is going to be required. 31 is a bruiser, but doesn't have the mix of quickness and toughness that TJ had. WIlliams is our only combo back we have left on the roster. Because we haven't seen him perform in games consistently, I'd only give it a 40% chance of happening. We will see it very quickly against Tulane if we try to be run-first or if we transition to a pass-first offense and use the pass to open the run. If we move out of the run-first model, it would indicate that Williams didn't convince anyone over the two week period.

TQ - I have never seen. I will say that putting him on returns on day one says a lot. But not involving him in the WR rotation also says a lot. We saw what happened last year when Robinson got hurt and we had nobody to stretch the field. The offense still scored points, but it wasn't nearly as efficient as it was earlier in the season. Rice, Page, and Upshaw are really nice receivers, I don't want to take anything away there. But they aren't deep threats. Gray is, but we also see him get banged up weekly and he has also been in the slot. We need a good option. I think it is very, very telling that when Robinson went out, we immediately tried to throw deep to Granson to force Memphis off the line - both from the standpoint that Memphis came in after the injury, and that Granson was the only deep option with Gray banged up. Upshaw for Robinson is not like-for-like. I'll also point out that Gray has been playing more of the Page position. Speedy Robinson on one side, big possession Rice on the other, and Gray/Page in the slot. With only one fall practice of learning the offense, I'm not sure they want to make him learn another, which is also why Thad is not an option. Especially with the RPO mess-up we had on Saturday where Buechele threw it to nobody. So, I think you are down to TQ, Wiggins, or Burns at the burner spot. The coaches like Upshaw, and he is clearly a good WR. He just doesn't stretch the field. I think the chances here are 50-50. But we all need to realize we just lost Emmanuel Sanders.
JasonB

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:16 pm

JasonB wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:

We need the two weeks.

Tamerik has always shown flashes in practice. I think there is a lot of talent there. But he is going to be required. 31 is a bruiser, but doesn't have the mix of quickness and toughness that TJ had. WIlliams is our only combo back we have left on the roster. Because we haven't seen him perform in games consistently, I'd only give it a 40% chance of happening. We will see it very quickly against Tulane if we try to be run-first or if we transition to a pass-first offense and use the pass to open the run. If we move out of the run-first model, it would indicate that Williams didn't convince anyone over the two week period.

TQ - I have never seen. I will say that putting him on returns on day one says a lot. But not involving him in the WR rotation also says a lot. We saw what happened last year when Robinson got hurt and we had nobody to stretch the field. The offense still scored points, but it wasn't nearly as efficient as it was earlier in the season. Rice, Page, and Upshaw are really nice receivers, I don't want to take anything away there. But they aren't deep threats. Gray is, but we also see him get banged up weekly and he has also been in the slot. We need a good option. I think it is very, very telling that when Robinson went out, we immediately tried to throw deep to Granson to force Memphis off the line - both from the standpoint that Memphis came in after the injury, and that Granson was the only deep option with Gray banged up. Upshaw for Robinson is not like-for-like. I'll also point out that Gray has been playing more of the Page position. Speedy Robinson on one side, big possession Rice on the other, and Gray/Page in the slot. With only one fall practice of learning the offense, I'm not sure they want to make him learn another, which is also why Thad is not an option. Especially with the RPO mess-up we had on Saturday where Buechele threw it to nobody. So, I think you are down to TQ, Wiggins, or Burns at the burner spot. The coaches like Upshaw, and he is clearly a good WR. He just doesn't stretch the field. I think the chances here are 50-50. But we all need to realize we just lost Emmanuel Sanders.

Thanks Jason for all the color. Always enjoy your recaps after the game. Thank you for taking the time to put that all down. In your notes above, I'm glad that if this was going to happen that it happened before the bye week. I'm hoping that we aren't completely dependent on Roberson but we will see...
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Casey » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:40 pm

Once a Mustang, ALWAYS a Mustang!
Casey
All-American

Previous

Return to Football