PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Memphis recap

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Memphis recap

Postby JasonB » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:05 pm

Here are my thoughts about the game:
- First and foremost, I thought we were done. To give up that lead and all momentum, and turn it around and somehow win... there is a lot of mental strength on the team. It was unexpected and very impressive.
- Full credit to Memphis. Every team coming off of Covid has been awful. I thought they would wear down, especially with how intense that sun was and how hot it was out there. They held up the entire game. They have a hell of a team, especially on both sides of the line. They are legit top 25.
- I thought Shane had kind of lost it a little, he made a couple bad throws in the fourth. But those last two completions. Wow. Granson on the long third down over the middle, he fit into a tiny box. And the touch on the pass to the sideline to keep it from being a pick six was great. Those were pro throws. He passed on some first down scrambles early and it kept us from retaining our offensive momentum, but he ran at other times and just was great at the end.
- Ran into a relative of Reggie on the way out, who said knee sprain, and I hope it is just that. That kid has the "go" button, we haven't seen since Emmanuel was here. That cut and sprint was incredible. He doesn't need to worry about pro scouts. He just needs to stay healthy.
- It was interesting to watch our WR after Reggie was out and Gray was banged up. We ran out Page, Rice, Upshaw, and Granson, and immediately tried to go deep with Granson. He is the only player in that group who can stretch the field. If we don't have someone to stretch the field, it impacts the passing game, but also the running game, because the other team can compress the field. This bye week is going to be key to get TQ, Burns, and Wiggins in the mix because our burners are clearly injury prone and we need a 3rd and 4th WR who can stretch the field. That TQ release is going to end up being really key for us.
- Our OL is good enough to be run first against teams with a below average d-line. But against a really good DL, we have to use the pass to open the run. The Auburn transfer is the only guy we have who has the ability to dominate in the run game. Everyone else is an above average blocker in the pass game, and average in the run game.
- For one series of downs in the 4th quarter, C Davis and Massey were playing safety. That scared me. Not sure if that was done because of injury or frustration, but it was a little iffy.
- Our LBs don't make enough plays. There was a series where 50 dominated. 16 had the pick. But just not enough plays, not consistent enough. At the beginning of the game, our corners and safeties made a ton of plays, and it stopped Memphis. Our safeties were great against the run. But once B White found the holes in the zone over the middle, all of that stopped. Our D Line isn't BAD. They can handle 1v1 blocking. They good pushed a little on the double team in the run game. But for the most part, they are standing things up a yard or two off the line. But our LBs are easy to block off a play and aren't able to get around blockers. So, we require the safeties to make tackles in the running game.
- Until Williams came in. He was in both series in the 4th quarter, and it made such a massive difference. Memphis was aware of him immediately. They doubled him, but he just stopped it, right on the line. We played a 4 man front, and finally, for the first time all game, everyone else on the line was 1v1 and got a push forward and started to win 1v1 battles. White stood back there forever all game, waiting for players to break open in the zone. He finally faced a pass rush and we won the game. Similar to the OL, we have a bunch of decent players. But it is amazing how adding one "plus" guy to that group really makes a difference. The extra week needs to be spent getting him fit, Levelson fit, and seeing if we can get Levelson, Aho, 90, or 55 to take a next step.
- And, please, more 4 man fronts with a true nickel package. I would much rather have Crossley out there than 16 or any of the Fox players on passing downs. I like the swap of Hailey for McBride in those situations, but lets get all 3 corners on the field as well.

This team has the chance to make an all-time great run. But over the next two weeks, they need 51 to get fit and dominate, they need another deep threat to emerge, they need WIlliams fit, and they need another dominant DL to emerge to make it happen.

As it stands, Tulane and Navy both scare the hell out of me, because both have schemes that can really take advantage of your LB and DL play. We can generate some turnovers, but overall don't generate enough negative plays in the running or passing games to slow those teams down. We have the corners and safeties to make Navy very one dimensional. But I can see us giving up 3.3 yards on every single running play and giving up long, grueling TD drives that eat clock and keep our offense cold.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Memphis recap

Postby ponyboy » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:10 pm

Yes, Memphis is very good. We were lucky to win that one. If we're top 20, they're top 20.

I'm scared to death of Tulane and Navy too.

Do I like SMU, though? Yes, very much. Dykes is the best thing to happen to us since Ron Meyer.
ponyboy

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:11 pm

Scared?
Bergermeister

Postby Ponyboy215 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:58 pm

This weekend has Roberson as a star of the weekend. Sucked how he got hurt he was playing awesome.

https://cfbsaturdays.com/college-footba ... t-03-2020/
Ponyboy215

Postby ponyte » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:59 pm

Agree but think the D played a bigger role. THe D stuffed Memphis on the opening drive of the 2nd half. The D stopped Memphis a total of 4 positions in the second half. One was a fumble that lead to the winning FG. Holding Memphis to 7 points in a half is huge. Two interception, one stopping a good scoring drive. And we took that interception 80 yards for a TD.
ponyte

Postby DC-Pony » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:46 pm

Loved the grit to win that game after losing the lead and the mo.

JB, totally agree with your concerns about the second level of the D. Just not enough play making. I hate pointing out single players, but 16 too easy to block and when not blocked he’s a step or two behind the play. Like the idea of 4 man front with nickel secondary and cut out position from the second level. At least against some offenses.

And, when, WHEN, are we going to see Richard Moore? Or, at this point, will we at all? Our D was at times really tough in the first 5 games last year when he was playing (with credit to other players too). He proved to be a lynch pin last year.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby dalpony » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:38 am

If and when Moore is healthy enough to play - as of last week, he was not cleared to practice
dalpony
Varsity

Postby malonish » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:34 pm

Bergermeister wrote:Scared?

Always
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:30 am

Michael Williams is #57 and is a man. Our d-line stopped getting punked, when he came in. #16 is a yuuuuuuuge liability, can't cover, and might lead the nation in missed tackles, over the last 3 years. In the name of all things sacred....get #16 out of there!!!!!
ALEX LIFESON

Postby ponyboy » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:16 pm

I need to start watching Denbow. Every play I've seen him in on he's been physical and quick to the ball.
ponyboy

Postby CJPONY16 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:00 pm

ponyboy wrote:I need to start watching Denbow. Every play I've seen him in on he's been physical and quick to the ball.

I think he has been better this year than last year. Still has a tendency to over pursue his target and whiff the tackle though.
CJPONY16
Junior Varsity

Postby HubbaHubba » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:08 pm

Denbow dropped back well in coverage on that interception. Thought that was a standout play.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby JasonB » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:16 pm

Interesting comparison... through 4 games of last year to this year:

Nelson: 27 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 0 FF, 1 FR, 1 INT, 1 PD
Denbow: 14 tackles, 0 sacks, 2 FF, 0 FR, 1 INT, 0 PD

Quite a difference in productivity from the FOX sacking and against the run.

Denbow is being asked to stay in coverage a lot more in the slot, so I would expect a difference in sacks. But I would expect him to get in the run game a bit more and have more tackles. A 7 tackle per game average is quite different from 3.

The Fox and Stang positions in this defense are supposed to be playmaking spots. We aren't getting near the production at either spot compared to what we had from Scott and Nelson. If we had those two players with this improved secondary, it would be a really nasty defense.
JasonB

Postby DC-Pony » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:12 pm

...and that doesn’t even get into stats for his coverage effectiveness. Would love to know what the effective completion percentage is on throws to the players he’s covering. Seems like it is REALLY high.

Watching the games closely this year, he seems like a big liability.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Return to Football