PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Memphis Targeting 2nd Quarter

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Memphis Targeting 2nd Quarter

Postby crazy horse » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:25 pm

The huge helmet to helmet hit on Danny Gray at about 10:20 of the 2nd, the refs called targeting, announcers agreed, but then it was overturned. How was that NOT targeting?

The next play was the Roberson TD, so it was quickly forgotten.

That hit on his head was brutal.
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Re: Memphis Targeting 2nd Quarter

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:45 pm

I felt like the hit on Shane earlier than the Gray hit was also illegal.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Terry Webster » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:54 pm

If I recall the tv folks said the reason it was overturned was because the defender didn't put his head down. Crappy excuse.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby crazy horse » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:07 pm

The late hit on Shane was rightly called, and if the rules allowed, the UM player should have been punished for that stupidity. But there was no targeting.

On Gray, there was no doubt that the memphis player TARGETED and successfully hit Gray in the head. His head snapped back violently. Gray was wrapped up by another UM player (largely, but maybe not completely defenseless) seems like a slam dump - according to the rules they put on screen.

Glad we won. I just want to see some consistency for the targeting call. Its all over the place.
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Postby DC-Pony » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:25 pm

Agree with you all that hit on Gray was targeting. Also agree with the point above that announcers speculating that defender not putting his head down might have been why it wasn’t called as a bogus reason. And announcers also were flummoxed by the no call.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Return to Football