PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Reminiscing About UT Non-Scandal I

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Reminiscing About UT Non-Scandal I

Postby Topper » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:16 pm

Am I the only one old enough to remember the printing office scandal involving UT football players being paid for working in a non-existent print room at the Capitol? It happened around the same time that Dave Smiths team went on probation. As I recall the NCAA dropped the UT investigation because they self investigated and found no wrongdoing. Just watching the game from the Cotton Bowl on TV and that incident popped into my mind. DMN didn't bother to assign a reporter to the story as I recall.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Re: Reminiscing About UT Non-Scandal I

Postby peruna81 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:06 pm

I'm old enough to remember that, as well as the Edwin Simmons (RB) recruiting "extravagances"

Grades changed, money exchanged hands...and not a sniff of scandal. Dodd being on the NCAA panel at the time was a given for a pass.

Move along citizen, nothing to see here...
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:38 pm

President of UT was on infractions Committee back then. Why do you think investigators chased after SMU, A&M, TCU? They didn’t mess with Arkansas because St. Frank was there. Figured incorrectly that Baylor was harmless back then. Sand Aggies and Owls we’re harmless. UH wasn’t in conference yet.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Topper » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:11 pm

As soon as UH got in the conference and gave UT trouble, despite the fact that they didn't really recruit the same people, UH goes on pretty serious probation as I recall.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Return to Football