PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Eric Dickerson Has a Story to Tell

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Eric Dickerson Has a Story to Tell

Postby AfricanMustang » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:23 pm

In advance of his new book, the Hall of Fame running back looks back on his controversial college career at SMU, the contentious trade to the Colts, racism at all levels of football, and the fight—and need to continue fighting—for social change.

As the years flew by, and Eric Dickerson settled into “retired” life with a similar ease to how he once whirled through NFL defenses, he continued to spin stories. So, so, so many stories. About his childhood in Sealy, Texas. His controversial time at Southern Methodist. Racism he experienced. The NCAA “cartel.” Or, from his NFL career, those 11 glorious seasons from 1983-93 with the Rams and Colts (mostly, along with the Raiders and Falcons cameos). Often, whenever he finished one tale or another, the listener would say the same thing. You should write a book.

For years, Dickerson considered that very prospect. He certainly had enough material, and much of the best stuff had gone unsaid. But it wasn’t until 2020, when he realized that his experience as a Black athlete in America’s most popular sport could inform the chaotic world he currently lives in, helping readers to understand why so much hasn’t changed—and why it needs to—that he decided to move forward. Which is why he called recently, to discuss writing and running, racists and fame and warped perceptions, and his forthcoming memoir, to be released by Haymarket Books.

Why now? Dickerson starts back in Texas, with a town divided along racial lines even in the late 1970s. He says he went to the Black school, until the coaches at the white one found out he could play sports. He had already been adopted back then, by a great, great aunt, and never found out that his biological father had played football until after a teacher saw him star and noticed a resemblance in how they ran.

Looking back, he says, he hates how he was treated. He’s not angry about it, but he knows it wasn’t right. Outsiders, he says, media types and counterparts and enemies, painted him as a villain, a bad guy, an ingrate, a malcontent. He laughs. He didn’t know what half those words meant when “they” affixed those labels on him.

To read this story in its entirety, CLICK HERE.
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
― C.G. Jung
AfricanMustang
Varsity

Re: Eric Dickerson Has a Story to Tell

Postby ponyte » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:11 pm

If one has an opportunity ot talk to the great Jerry LeVias, he has similar but probably worse experience of the behavior he and Eric (and so many others) experienced. And LeVias handled with a dignity and grace, even to this day that is beyond belief.

Eric was a recruited deity. He was something as a Freshman. Injuries hurt his career that year as well as other very talented running backs. I scored a TD Eric's freshman year. Eric came up to me and congratulated me. Me, a nobody. It still means worlds to me that he recognized me.

I have distantly kept in touch with Eric over the years. Amazingly, one of his best friend now was one of my best friends in high school. Eric is class. He handled fame a rare few ever experience. I can't wait to read his story and understand him more. He has always been gracious, humble and approachable with me and other SMU fans.

Eric is one of those under the fadar gems at SMU. If you get s chance to meet him on the Blvd, take it. HE is impressive in a humble way.
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BUS » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:41 am

When SMU choose to get REAL about football. ED was there to help. Bottom line he loves SMU. Being there with him he was one of the leaders of that team.

He knew God gave him a gift and it was his job to protect it.

Thusly, any pad made he wore.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Joe Exotic's Pony » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:31 pm

Pretty cool that Haymarket Books is the publisher for his memoir.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haymarket_Books
Joe Exotic's Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:38 pm

Joe Exotic's Pony wrote:Pretty cool that Haymarket Books is the publisher for his memoir.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haymarket_Books

That was the first thing I thought of too.

Cool.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby ponyboy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:05 pm

Man, could he ever run. And I love that he's been passionate about SMU football post-graduation.
ponyboy

Postby redpony » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:34 pm

ponyboy wrote:Man, could he ever run. And I love that he's been passionate about SMU football post-graduation.

+100%

I used to watch him at Texas Stadium warming up and it looked like his strides were about 7-10 yds. ha. Glad he still embraces SMU, so many former jocks don't.
redpony

Postby SmooBoy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:39 pm

redpony wrote:
ponyboy wrote:Man, could he ever run. And I love that he's been passionate about SMU football post-graduation.

+100%

I used to watch him at Texas Stadium warming up and it looked like his strides were about 7-10 yds. ha. Glad he still embraces SMU, so many former jocks don't.

He was a man among boys. Criminal that he's not in the College Football HOF.
SmooBoy

Postby mrydel » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:57 pm

SmooBoy wrote:
redpony wrote:

+100%

He was a man among boys. Criminal that he's not in the College Football HOF.
He is finally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby SmooBoy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:22 pm

mrydel, you are correct. So ridiculous it took this long.
SmooBoy

Postby ponyte » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:54 am

ED was to be inducted into the CF HofF in Dec in NYC. Don't know what the plans are now giving the situation we face now
ponyte

Postby EastStang » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:55 am

He also filled out while at SMU. I remember his freshman year, he was skinny and fast and was a great change of pace from Craig James By his senior year, he was running over people. Great talent and fun to watch.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby mr. pony » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:00 pm

More race-baiting.
Hate to see it.
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Football