PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU-Cincy Game Thread

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU-Cincy Game Thread

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:36 am

35straight wrote:Can’t believe I’m saying this, but I think my eyes have finally been opened. We may be lucky to get to six wins. SMU was a 5-0 paper tiger with a margin of victory of 4pts if you take away garbage SFA and UNT. Our defense is really soft, and our offense puts fear in no one. Buckle up everyone. We are about to find out what happens when the PR team can’t get on the field.

I have to agree. We have 2 tough home games with Navy & Houston and road games vs Tulsa, Temple & ECU. The team we watched last night could easily lose all of those games and I do think they will be challenged to win 3 of 5, so looks like this season will finish like last year and this team will be exposed shortly after having been ranked much higher than they deserved to be.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DC-Pony » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:38 am

Game was hard to watch.

Moment was too big for the offense. Came up very small.

Defense was our typical defense. But I do think Elijah Chatman acquitted himself well. It’s become indefensible to have Denbow starting.

We are no top 25 team.

Very disappointing.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:40 am

Donnell88 wrote:Now that we're out of the New Year's Six, we can look forward to getting our butts kicked by some mediocre Sun Belt team in a bowl game no one has ever heard of. And lots of people will be watching because it will be the only game on at that time.
And we keep reading about how the linemen are bigger, stronger and more athletic than ever. We can't even gave our quarterback a chance to find an open receiver. And when he did, they dropped the ball. Painful to watch.
Silver lining - it was on ESPN2 and most fans were watching another telecast.

Hopefully our guys can regroup and win at least 2-3 of their remaining games and go bowling because that is needed as Sonny continues building this program but don't slight the SunBelt. We are likely to get whipped by one of those "mediocre" SunBelt teams just like we did last year. I've been watching Coastal Carolina (neighbor's daughter on dance team there) and those guys have gotten really good and appear more deserving of their top 25 ranking than SMU was. We didn't exactly roll Texas State and they are one of the weaker SB teams.
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:47 am

poman wrote:I don't post much, but enjoy reading all the comments....But, man o man, how fast attitudes change. 5-0 love to 5-1, end of world...One game guys, next week bounce back is huge. Stop with sky is falling until it starts to fall. Pretty sure if someone said, 5-1 after first six games this year everyone would have said, "that would be great"

Actually, the only games anyone thought would be tough were TCU and Memphis so many of us assumed we would lose to TCU on the road and hopefully beat Memphis at home. Most of us have been concerned as we barely avoided losses to Texas State and Tulane. I certainly hoped our guys would be more competitive against Cincy but they are clearly head and shoulders above SMU right now and that was just a physical mismatch last night. We will find out quickly what this team has because next up is Navy...a team that is down this year and has already been humiliated by BYU and Air Force, whipped by Houston yesterday and lost a close game at Tulane...but has given SMU fits since we have been playing as AAC conference mates. Pretty much a "must win" for SMU to have a season that can be considered a success.
Charleston Pony

Postby peruna81 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:14 am

May I be the first to say....

"I WAS WRONG..WE DIDN'T WIN."

I feel better getting that out, but much worse after watching the remainder of the game. My 14 year old daughter needed me to take her to a friend's house 30 minutes away. I didn't see the 2nd half. I was a bit (silently) upset at the prospect of missing it...in retrospect, I am going to kiss her and thank her.

It was a complete game, with all three phases of our team contributing to a miserable performance. What is left of this season is moving on to the "next play". It will be interesting to see if we fold like last year or show some maturity and regroup.

After my poor previous prognostications, I've got no clue which SMU team will show up next. Hoping for the former, and preparing for the latter.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby HubbaHubba » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:45 am

On the plus side, Chatman played well. Page was reliable as a receiver and returner. Shane was a gamer.

I won't call out individual players but again the secondary was clueless as to who they were to cover and the linebackers were so out of position, no need to block them. On offense we miss TJ much more than most people realize. The lack of Reggie was obvious.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:55 am

poman wrote:I don't post much, but enjoy reading all the comments....But, man o man, how fast attitudes change. 5-0 love to 5-1, end of world...One game guys, next week bounce back is huge. Stop with sky is falling until it starts to fall. Pretty sure if someone said, 5-1 after first six games this year everyone would have said, "that would be great"

I'm not calling you a loser as a disclosure but this is a loser's mentality. We just got demolished because we played [deleted] poor offense and no one stepped up. Sure you can say yay 5-1 and waive your little flag. If you want the program to make a step into a conversation, you have to not only play good but win. If you want non-smu fans to show up, you have to win these games. Beating the [deleted] out of SFA isn't going to attract anyone or do anything for the program. I will still be disappointed even if we win here on out because this game was that opportunity to say SMU can win the big ones.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:34 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:

I'm not calling you a loser as a disclosure but this is a loser's mentality. We just got demolished because we played [deleted] poor offense and no one stepped up. Sure you can say yay 5-1 and waive your little flag. If you want the program to make a step into a conversation, you have to not only play good but win. If you want non-smu fans to show up, you have to win these games. Beating the [deleted] out of SFA isn't going to attract anyone or do anything for the program. I will still be disappointed even if we win here on out because this game was that opportunity to say SMU can win the big ones.

If we win out, which I don't think we can, we will likely get a rematch with Cincy and learn whether they are truly head and shoulders above this SMU team
Charleston Pony

Postby mrydel » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:13 pm

We have lost 4 games in a year and a half. We used to do that in a month.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:55 pm

0 fer September used to be a tradition :!:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:15 am

35straight wrote:Sitting right behind the bench. These kids quit. Period.

No question. Soft mentally and physically.
ALEX LIFESON

Previous

Return to Football