PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

What in the hell happened last night?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

What in the hell happened last night?

Postby smuhype » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:33 am

So much on the table...

Is Cincinnati that good?

Or did we just have our worst showing in years?

So frustrating - completely outcoached.

End of 1st Half was a disaster.

Damn. This sucks...
smuhype
Junior Varsity

Re: What in the hell happened last night?

Postby mustangxc » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:46 am

One team showed up prepared and ready to win. The other didn't show up at all. Even our coaching staff was absent last night. We are definitely pretenders that are very fortunate to be 5-1 at this point. As JasonB said, we'll be lucky to win 8 games this season, which is still much better than all of the last 40 years.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:55 am

Not sure Cincy is a top 10 team (I hope they are) but they are much more talented than this SMU team. I do think Cincy is a legitimate top 25 program that would compete well against P5 teams but our defense is weak and has been weak for as long as I can remember. We made Cincy's QB and offense look a lot better than they are and without T.J. and Reggie and after Gray's injury last night, this SMU offense was impotent. We got mauled at the line of scrimmage and between Buechele having no time and our WRs not being able to get separation and balls being dropped when Buechele was on target...it was just one of those nights. I don't even want to get into how poorly coached we appeared between play calling and clock management issues we saw last night!
Charleston Pony

Postby soccermom » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:10 am

Cincinnati was well prepared for this game. We weren’t. Their defense can tackle (rather than taking 3-4 to finally tackle), ours couldn’t. Our clock management was beyond pathetic, right up to the end of the game. Our play calling was also beyond pathetic. Time management & play calling were both embarrassing. Our entire team, and coaches, looked lethargic. We looked as though we didn’t practice, watch film on Cincinnati or prepare for this game. I’m wondering if some on the team were overconfident with a 5-0 record. This reality check should (hopefully) bring heads out of the clouds and back to reality.
Now hope we can regroup, prepare and then beat Navy.
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smuhype » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:09 am

Right but how can you Come out that flat???? In such a big spot.

That’s on coaches...
smuhype
Junior Varsity

Postby Lebanese4Life » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:18 am

I didnt watch the game but reading the comments clock management and play calls have been an issue all year. Its disappointing and that is all on the coaches. Sonny can recruit (or score some transfers) but his coaching has been pretty damn poor

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby PonySnob » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:26 am

Just hoping we don’t lose 2 or 3 more games this season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby mr. pony » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:28 am

What happened last night?
Typical SMU: Crap the bed on national TV.
Glad I no longer watch it.
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby TidePony » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:48 am

Extremely poor coaching: poor preparation, terrible game plan, horrific play calling and clock management. Plus, the dropped passes hurt us tremendously. A very bad night.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:57 am

smuhype wrote:Right but how can you Come out that flat???? In such a big spot.

That’s on coaches...

I think the problem is we are truly lack in depth. We have to have Reggie to have a deep threat and no one else on the team can fill the role. Gray was suppose to be an alternative but is starting to look like a dud. This makes our offense a run or short pass team which a good defense like Cincy will thrash and they did.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:30 am

I had mentioned much earlier in the season that we were not the team most were thinking we were and when we had tp play a real team we would flounder. Last night showed how mediocre we really are. Sad showing especially being on national TV.
redpony

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:53 am

PonySnob wrote:Just hoping we don’t lose 2 or 3 more games this season

C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PerunaPunch » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:46 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
smuhype wrote:Right but how can you Come out that flat???? In such a big spot.

That’s on coaches...

I think the problem is we are truly lack in depth. We have to have Reggie to have a deep threat and no one else on the team can fill the role. Gray was suppose to be an alternative but is starting to look like a dud. This makes our offense a run or short pass team which a good defense like Cincy will thrash and they did.

I hear Granson was playing with some sort of splint on the back of one of his wrists. That would explain a few things. Gray has been playing hurt, and has been the victim of several “shoulda been” targeting calls this year. After Gray’s injury, he came back to the sideline and was trying some warmup catches, but was clearly in pain. I for one, was impressed by and appreciative of his effort.

But isn’t WR supposed to be an area of strength? The young guys on the sideline sure look the part. But other than Rice (and Burns getting in on special teams), why aren’t any of them contributing? Without the threat of Reggie to spread the field, every other job on the offense gets tougher.

Everyone knew Lashlee was a good OC. Apparently, that job is a lot tougher than all us armchair coaches realized. Hopefully Riley will grow into the job.I like the young staff, but clearly we miss Lashlee’s experience.

When you’re behind in the 4th, you go for it on fourth and short. That way, maybe you have a choice whether you go for it again or kick a field goal when you find yourself in fourth and long later.

I guess that’s about all I have to rant about for the moment. The Cowboys make the Mustangs look like a Top 10 team even if Cincy made them look otherwise.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:50 pm

PerunaPunch wrote: The Cowboys make the Mustangs look like a Top 10 team even if Cincy made them look otherwise.

With Andy Dalton hurt today, Garret Gilbert will have yet another opportunity to show he belongs on the Cowboys' roster. I'm thinking the 'Boys might as well start tanking for Trevor.
Charleston Pony

Postby ClassOf81 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:05 pm

mr. pony wrote:What happened last night?
Typical SMU: Crap the bed on national TV.
Glad I no longer watch it.

You don't watch ... yet you come on here to talk badly about the team?

I feel sorry for you.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Next

Return to Football