PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Navy Option vs 3 man front

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Navy Option vs 3 man front

Postby docabel » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:16 am

Had my day of purging the Cinci game and moving on.

Looking for someone with more insight as to how our 3 man front with the W I D E splits is going to have any hope against the triple option?
docabel
Heisman

Re: Navy Option vs 3 man front

Postby 35straight » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:48 am

It won’t. They will have to spend all week learning a new system. We will have a four down front this week and then switch back after the game.
35straight
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:56 am

This is the game to play Cam Jones at the FOX position. You might actually even see 50 and 43 at the LB spots and move Delano to Fox.

I suspect you will see a more narrow 3 man front when we run it. 40, 99, 98, 96, 95, 91 all have the size to rotate into that three. Give me 97 and 90 rotating in at one OLB of the 3-4, and Delano and Cam at the other. Our safeties can run and hit, and our corners can man up on the outside.

If we keep the discipline and run the right formation, I think we have the players to do well defensively. My concern is depth at LB or if we play a lot of our DE.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PlanoStang » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:16 am

35straight wrote:It won’t. They will have to spend all week learning a new system. We will have a four down front this week and then switch back after the game.

I think I remember that under Dykes they have been devoting some time each week on the defense they use against Navy.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:31 am

PlanoStang wrote:
I think I remember that under Dykes they have been devoting some time each week on the defense they use against Navy.

Maybe they should have spent a little more time on plans to defend against Cincy. We all saw the results and they were not good
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football