PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Navy Game Thread

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Navy Game Thread

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:34 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Get our D into 3rd and long and our opponents have us right where they want us! Don't make coach put Shane and the starters back in for one more series.

Too bad. We need to have him out there and still play to get first downs. If we score then Gibson or who else out there can try again.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUer » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:43 pm

Such a lame 3rd and 13 play call
SMUer
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby peruna81 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:52 pm

Only our defense can make NAVY's quarterback look like Unitas....
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Arkpony » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:52 pm

I am happy for the win but we just don’t have a killer instinct
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby GoStangs11 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:59 pm

Clock botch last week (among other unforced errors) and now clean jerseys with 12 minutes to go and surrendering momentum and comfortable lead? We should be running up the score anyway as payback for that disrespectful 2016 display.
Last edited by GoStangs11 on Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoStangs11
Scout Team

Postby Arkpony » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:06 pm

Coach pulled the plug with 12 minutes to go!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:07 pm

Sonny called off the dogs early so we don't get style points but it was still an easy W which is all I ever hope for...especially against Navy as they have given us fits. Shane with another 300 yard passing night and averaged over 10 yards per attempt...pretty impressive night. Bentley with 149 yards rushing and over 200 yards from scrimmage and Lavine averaged 15 yards per carry tonight. Pretty nice bounce back win against what appears to be a really weak Navy team this season.
Charleston Pony

Postby mrydel » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:09 pm

Won the game.. check, beat the spread...check, beat the Over... check. Why are we griping. I bet most of us have not even heard of many of the defensive players in there in the 4th quarter.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:15 pm

mrydel wrote:Won the game.. check, beat the spread...check, beat the Over... check. Why are we griping. I bet most of us have not even heard of many of the defensive players in there in the 4th quarter.

It's always good to see the young guys get some snaps and I wish they had given Gipson another series after that fumble. He needs to learn from his mistakes if he's going to be ready as an emergency backup. We are in serious trouble if Shane goes down.
Charleston Pony

Postby PNW_Stang » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:48 pm

Kind of bummed Will Brown is no longer a QB. Was hoping he would be a good backup. option after a few years in college.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:16 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
mrydel wrote:Won the game.. check, beat the spread...check, beat the Over... check. Why are we griping. I bet most of us have not even heard of many of the defensive players in there in the 4th quarter.

It's always good to see the young guys get some snaps and I wish they had given Gipson another series after that fumble. He needs to learn from his mistakes if he's going to be ready as an emergency backup. We are in serious trouble if Shane goes down.

Absolutely the truth. I'm hoping for the temple game can be won easily in the 1st half to get him snaps but if Shane is down so are we.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby peruna81 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:41 pm

A couple of thoughts after having a night to reflect and ponder...

Our defense played the option better than many of our past front 7. We at least caused them to pass the ball. There were games in the past that they never attempted a pass.

Our secondary made NAVY's receivers look great. They were not faster than our CBs, and we played VERY soft.
Tulsa might house us if that doesn't change
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:59 pm

peruna81 wrote:A couple of thoughts after having a night to reflect and ponder...

Our defense played the option better than many of our past front 7. We at least caused them to pass the ball. There were games in the past that they never attempted a pass.

Our secondary made NAVY's receivers look great. They were not faster than our CBs, and we played VERY soft.
Tulsa might house us if that doesn't change

I think Navy abandoned the option because their starting QB just doesn't run it very well and they caught us off guard with how much they were throwing it around. Bottom line is this wasn't the same Navy team that has given us so much trouble the past few years.
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:39 am

I was amazed at how poor the QB as with running the ball.

The worst thing that happened to Navy was the screen pass that worked. Up until that point, they were running the ball pretty well. When they started passing on first down, it was game over.
JasonB

Previous

Return to Football