PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OFFICIAL: SMU vs Cougar High Predictions

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

OFFICIAL: SMU vs Cougar High Predictions

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:38 am

I normally do this every Monday morning, but, someone jumped the gun on me. After watching Houston absolutely dismantle USF by halftime yesterday, and rest their starters most of the 2nd half, I have a bad feeling, on what will happen on our senior day. This team has appeared to enter their normal November nosedive. Out coached and outplayed in a game against Tulsa, with everything on the line. Total and massive collapse, with no leadership on the field or sidelines, to stop the free fall that began early in the 2nd quarter. This team is mentally and physically weak, that cannot be denied. Tulsa has an enrollment of 4,000, how is it their players are bigger, stronger, mentally and physically tougher than ours, in year 3 of this regime. Three years ago in this staffs 1st season, we lost to an abysmal Tulsa team, with a bowl game on the line....somehow, this latest gutpunch in the city of pain, seems much more concerning for the future of this program.
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: OFFICIAL: SMU vs Cougar High Predictions

Postby 78pony » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:10 pm

ALEX LIFESON wrote:I normally do this every Monday morning, but, someone jumped the gun on me. After watching Houston absolutely dismantle USF by halftime yesterday, and rest their starters most of the 2nd half, I have a bad feeling, on what will happen on our senior day. This team has appeared to enter their normal November nosedive. Out coached and outplayed in a game against Tulsa, with everything on the line. Total and massive collapse, with no leadership on the field or sidelines, to stop the free fall that began early in the 2nd quarter. This team is mentally and physically weak, that cannot be denied. Tulsa has an enrollment of 4,000, how is it their players are bigger, stronger, mentally and physically tougher than ours, in year 3 of this regime. Three years ago in this staffs 1st season, we lost to an abysmal Tulsa team, with a bowl game on the line....somehow, this latest gutpunch in the city of pain, seems much more concerning for the future of this program.

Well said, Alex. I too am concerned about the future. Does anyone remember how great we looked at TX ST, Tulane, 1st half of Temple,...
I don't know if its the staff, the players or both but at some point we can no longer blame Covid for our lack of intensity, burning desire, a true leader (leadership), etc. We must have had as much time in pads between actual games and full session practices as any team in America (probably much more).
78pony
Heisman

Postby BIGHORSE » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:31 pm

I'm usually a positive guy, but after last night I am starting to feel like we not only
have the Tulsa jinx, but also the late season falling apart jinx, most teams get better
as the season goes, but we tend to get worse. :oops:
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:34 pm

78pony, I was getting the itch to go, thank goodness I came to my senses. We cannot win in the city of pain. That would have been another long, miserable, regretful drive back from the city of doom.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:37 pm

BIGHORSE wrote:I'm usually a positive guy, but after last night I am starting to feel like we not only
have the Tulsa jinx, but also the late season falling apart jinx, most teams get better

Injuries have something to do with that. Losing your deep threat WR and starting LT is not a good combination. Tulsa had 11 defensive players in position to stop those 3rd and long plays and had no fear of Buechele throwing over the top of their D.
Charleston Pony

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:08 pm

BIGHORSE wrote:I'm usually a positive guy, but after last night I am starting to feel like we not only

Who can blame you for that feeling, it's based on history of falling apart.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:21 pm

It's good the team had to bus back after that debacle, gave them plenty of time for soul searching. Or, more than likely, thinking about going fishing.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:08 pm

Just announced, our game against Houston will be on ESPNU instead of ESPN2. Consequences of performance.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:27 pm

At this point with how garbage our offense, if we want to predict a win then say 35 and Houston 28. However realistically, I saw no one out there other than a few defensive players giving max effort, I say we lose this 42-21. That was an embarrassment of a game yesterday.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Donnell88 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:37 pm

Our team is living up to our school's nickname: Spoiled Millennials University.
Donnell88
All-American

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:38 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:At this point with how garbage our offense, if we want to predict a win then say 35 and Houston 28. However realistically, I saw no one out there other than a few defensive players giving max effort, I say we lose this 42-21. That was an embarrassment of a game yesterday.

Houston looked very explosive yesterday, I hope this doesn't get embarrassing in our Triple D uniforms.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:42 pm

ALEX LIFESON wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:At this point with how garbage our offense, if we want to predict a win then say 35 and Houston 28. However realistically, I saw no one out there other than a few defensive players giving max effort, I say we lose this 42-21. That was an embarrassment of a game yesterday.

Houston looked very explosive yesterday, I hope this doesn't get embarrassing in our Triple D uniforms.

Well a silver lining, at least they aren't a position to return the favor of knocking us out of the Top 25 like we did to then a few years back!

Message to all: We recruited Thad Johnson (WR). I'm guessing we red shirted him but why did we not consider burning that when Reggie got knocked out?
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:03 pm

I get everyone is very disappointed, but we are 7-2 and one of those losses was to 7-0 Cincinatti #7 in the country.

And still it's all DOOM & GLOOM...."we're heartless", "we're mentally and physically weak", "concerning for the future of this program", "garbage offense", "zero pride".

We did lead Tulsa 3 out of 4 quarters, we lost by less than a touchdown on the road, to one of the best teams in our conference.

Rushing yards were close, time of possession was close, receiving yards were close considering one team was playing catch-up, first downs were close, even turn-overs were close.

Yes we need to fix some things, but good grief we didn't get blown out...we led a good team for 3 quarters on the road.

I feel we are going to bounce back and beat Houston at home. Sonny is going to get them focused. 8-2 would be great this time next week.

My numerical prediction will come later this week.

Beat The Coogs!

C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:19 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
ALEX LIFESON wrote:

Well a silver lining, at least they aren't a position to return the favor of knocking us out of the Top 25 like we did to then a few years back!

Message to all: We recruited Thad Johnson (WR). I'm guessing we red shirted him but why did we not consider burning that when Reggie got knocked out?

With Reggie out and Danny always hurt, where is Thad Johnson, TQ Jackson, Calvin Wiggins and Keke Burns?
ALEX LIFESON

Postby mrydel » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:41 pm

There is no redshirting this year under the Covid guidelines. If players are not playing they either are sick, hurt, or not ready for prime time.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Next

Return to Football