PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Maybe next year

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Maybe next year

Postby Donnell88 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:58 pm

Mexmustang wrote:All this talk about receivers, etc. is nice and informative, but it was our defense that played like cardboard cutouts the first half.

I hope Sonny makes some tough decisions concerning some of our players moving on next year. We need to toughen up our offensive and defensive lines and we have too many players just occupying roster numbers, especially on the offensive line.

I couldn't agree more; we keep reading about how they are workout warriors, how they are getting bigger, faster and stronger - well, I don't see it. On our first four rushing attempts, we gained two yards on four carries. One of those was for no gain on a fourth-and-one gamble - I don't fault the decision to go for it but the execution by our o-line was pathetic.
Donnell88
All-American

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:59 pm

crazy horse wrote:Without those first two we are not the same team. Other teams can go several deep and not miss a beat

There you have it.

Every team has injuries, but I guess other teams have a deeper more talented bench than we do at this time.....so when we lose some players our goose is cooked.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:20 pm

Mexmustang wrote:All this talk about receivers, etc. is nice and informative, but it was our defense that played like cardboard cutouts the first half.

I hope Sonny makes some tough decisions concerning some of our players moving on next year. We need to toughen up our offensive and defensive lines and we have too many players just occupying roster numbers, especially on the offensive line.

The offense was only able to score 7 points in the first half. While the defense lost it for us, if the offense had not been so inept in the first half, we would have at least given ourselves a chance at the end. It has been a total collapse on both sides of the ball the last two games.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUstang » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:08 pm

After the Frisco Bowl loss to LaTech, the Boca Raton Bowl loss to FAU, the Tulsa collapse, and the failure to stop ECU, I am disheartened. Can SMU ever live up to it's potential?
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Ikus » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:30 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:This year we've won 7 thus far....hopefully we win at least one of the two left.
(Coogs or bowl)

Or 2 of 3 left, if TCU is rescheduled.
Admittedly, I was more confident about that idea before we got beat by ECU and the Frogs wrecked Kansas.
Ikus
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:57 pm

I'm all for these guys getting to play 3 more games. Worst they can do is finish 7-6 but good chance to win 8 or more games. Coming into this season, I hoped these guys could win 8 and I'm still holding out hope for at least one more win.

As for "maybe next year" I wouldn't expect a frosh QB to improve on this season's results, but it will be interesting to see what seniors want to (and are invited to) come back and play another year at SMU. That will be an issue for everyone so I would expect the caliber of play to be improved in 2021, especially if we are past all these Covid protocols
Charleston Pony

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:11 pm

SMUstang wrote:I am disheartened. Can SMU ever live up to it's potential?

Living in fantasy land can be stressful, believe me I used to, but the sooner you accept the reality that SMU is going to be like most teams, and hopefully win 7-10 games a year you will find it very liberating. 7-10 wins a year can be fun.

Hopefully we have some 10 win seasons and appear in the Top 25 every year or two.

If we schedule SFA, Texas State, and North Texas State type teams every year and then win 3 conference games in a row we should creep into the Top 20 like we did this year.

Odds are we are not ever going to be an elite program, but 90% of college football are not elite programs.

Sit back and enjoy the ride....Go Mustangs!
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstang » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:03 pm

I hear you Posse, perhaps it's best if you don't get your hopes up too high. I expect Houston to beat us.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby DallasDiehard » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:46 pm

I don't know what to expect. I expect SMU to play better, and UH is 3-3, but lost to 3 good teams (BYU, UCF and Cincinnati).
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby poman » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:52 am

Jeeeeez...C'mon guys....It takes a few years to build a full roster for sustainability. This team has had an amazing turn around, mostly through the transfer portal and the new recruitment process (so they are young). This team will continue to improve as they add depth through recruiting. I think future is bright ...as depth grows. This year "they just ran out of guys. 4 of 5 top offensive players have not played in past 2 games (2 almost all year)...they just ran out of guys. Now, with that said losing Rhett last hurt, but that happens when you are good and we need to continue to replace with "the next best thing"....If you make a mistake with a new coach, cut losses and move on. I just hope we are able to keep Sonny! Now as far as defense....ugh, that is another conversation. Overall, though we should be pleased with past 2-3 years....Future is Bright!
poman

Postby Mexmustang » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:42 am

35 years is not "a few years"...
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:50 am

SMUstang wrote:I hear you Posse, perhaps it's best if you don't get your hopes up too high. I expect Houston to beat us.

As jtstang always preached, "no expectations" is the safest way to follow SMU football. By that standard, this season is already a success with 7 wins already posted. I've reached a point where I just don't want to see any losing seasons. Even quality programs occasionally have years where a few key injuries can derail a season
Charleston Pony

Postby HubbaHubba » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:01 am

Maybe next year the defensive coaching will improve. The defense either a) does not know what hey are supposed to do (I blame the coaching staff) or b) they know what to do but they don't do it (I blame the coaching staff). It is one thing for the other team to have better athletes. It would be great if SMU was always bigger, faster, stronger but we aren't and are not likely to be at least across the whole depth chart. It is another thing altogether when we look like we don't know what we are doing out there.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby SMUstang » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:05 am

I agree, we probably need a better OC and DC.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby SMUstang » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:11 am

Mexmustang wrote:35 years is not "a few years"...

This is true, and I am running out of years.
SMUstang
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football