PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Report: Frisco Bowl off

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Report: Frisco Bowl off

Postby Smumba2009 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:42 am

The reality is we did a great job in managing COVID for most of the season. The key injuries really stacked up and when you lack the depth to replace highly rated players with near equivalents there will be a drop off in play. For me this will be a year of what could have been with a healthy roster. I feel we could have challenged for Cincinnati's current position with Reggie, TJ, Gray and a few other key pieces in place. Until the fall, I will miss you all and now turn my attention to supporting our basketball team!
Smumba2009
Varsity

Postby PonyPride » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:52 am

Official announcement from SMU:

SMU Withdraws From Tropical Smoothie Cafe Frisco Bowl

DALLAS (SMU) – Due to the results of COVID testing and contact tracing, SMU will be unable to play in the 2020 Tropical Smoothie Cafe Frisco Bowl. SMU identified a number of positive cases of COVID-19 involving student-athletes and staff members, and a number of football student-athletes were identified as close contacts via the contact tracing process and would also be unable to practice this week and play in the bowl game.

"Since the beginning of this pandemic, many student-athletes across the country have had the unfortunate experience of missing out on opportunities to compete in any number of athletic events, with many missing out on entire seasons," said SMU A.D. Rick Hart. "Our team deserved to play another game. I'm disappointed for our fans, and even more disappointed for our players, that we will be unable to play in a bowl game this season. I'm also sad that many of our seniors played their final collegiate games, not knowing at the time that that was their last time on the field. I want to applaud our team for their efforts this season and to acknowledge the personal sacrifices they all made to make this season possible.

"As has been the case all season, our focus is the health, safety and well-being of our team and staff. Student-athletes will be able to quarantine for the next seven days here in Dallas and we will test them at least twice during that time frame to provide them confidence that they are going home to enjoy the holidays with their families in a safe and healthy manner."

"While I wish our guys had been able to finish the year in the celebratory manner they deserved, the health and safety of our student-athletes and staff remain our top priority and this is a tough, but necessary, decision that had to be made," said SMU Head Coach Sonny Dykes. "I'm proud of our players and staff for being ready to play for 13 straight weeks during the regular season. That was a monumental accomplishment and took an incredible amount of discipline and commitment to each other and our football program.

"As I said last week, this senior class will be forever remembered for helping to usher in a new era of Mustang Football. They won 17 games over the last two seasons and have been the winningest team in the state of Texas over that time. I'm appreciative and so proud of their accomplishments. We all owe them a great debt of gratitude."
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:10 am

It's nice to have some closure.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:45 am

Smumba2009 wrote:The reality is we did a great job in managing COVID for most of the season. The key injuries really stacked up and when you lack the depth to replace highly rated players with near equivalents there will be a drop off in play. For me this will be a year of what could have been with a healthy roster. I feel we could have challenged for Cincinnati's current position with Reggie, TJ, Gray and a few other key pieces in place. Until the fall, I will miss you all and now turn my attention to supporting our basketball team!

A+ summary...our lack of depth hurt us.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:48 am

Tough ending to what was yet another tough year for SMU football. Let's just hope for another good recruiting haul and a bunch of early signees.
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:46 pm

Brutal to miss out on a bowl game after a season we managed to have a 7-3 record. Why couldn't this happen during any of our many 0-5 win seasons?
mustangxc

Postby mrydel » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:19 pm

mustangxc wrote:Brutal to miss out on a bowl game after a season we managed to have a 7-3 record. Why couldn't this happen during any of our many 0-5 win seasons?
We missed out on bowl games those seasons also.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby mustangxc » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:35 pm

COVID-19 did not happen during any of our 0-5 win seasons. We haven't previously missed a bowl game in the last 30 seasons after a 7 win season.
mustangxc

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:27 pm

It really shows how much the Frisco Bowl considers SMU their team when they just cancel the game instead of getting some other teams.

They must have been so happy to have us back again and just couldn't regroup once we had to back out.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby mustangxc » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:05 pm

The most 2020 thing ever is that the Frisco Bowl was canceled, but the New Mexico Bowl is still on track to be played in Frisco.
mustangxc

Postby peruna81 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:15 pm

mustangxc wrote:The most 2020 thing ever is that the Frisco Bowl was canceled, but the New Mexico Bowl is still on track to be played in Frisco.

Aye to this^^^
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Football