PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Coastal Carolina

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Coastal Carolina

Postby panhandle_pony » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:18 pm

Can anyone, in 25 words or less, tell us where these guys came from? How did they do it? To me, amazing.
panhandle_pony
All-American

Re: Coastal Carolina

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:43 pm

Tough to tell their story in 25 words or less. Pretty special year for the Chanticleers, for sure. My neighbor's daughter is a FR and made their dance team. CCU just started football in 2003 after a decade of planning and played FCS level in the Big South. Had immediate success with transfers from P5 programs in the southeast (following App State's model in that time frame). Joe Moglia (CEO of Ameritrade) took over as coach in 2012 and pumped money into the program and they joined the SunBelt in 2017. Hired Jamey Chadwell as coach in 2017 and he quickly built the program into what it is today. They have a RS FR QB from the Charlotte area who has been tremendous and a steady SR RB but plenty of talent on both sides of the ball (just not a lot of depth).

Years ago when I lived in Charleston, I watched Chadwell build a winner at Charleston Southern (another Big South member) but he got into hot water with the NCAA for multiple violations. He's a young guy that his players love. High energy and makes it fun for his players. I had mentioned him on one of the many "coaching search" threads as someone SMU could take a flyer on and get him cheap (before all the violations came out) but his roots are in the southeast and I'm sure he was considered "beneath" a program like ours. If he can stay out of trouble, Chadwell won't be at Coastal for long.

Their game with Liberty tonight might be really entertaining. You might recall Liberty Coach Hugh Freeze as the guy who resigned after Ole Miss was suddenly recruiting with the big boys of the SEC, so this game involves two very controversial but also very successful coaches who have built these teams into Top 25 caliber teams very quickly.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:50 pm

From CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd:

Coach of the Year: Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

What a ride. In 2017, Chadwell as Coastal's offensive coordinator was named interim coach while Joe Moglia dealt with an asthma issue. Moglia then returned in 2018 before permanently turning the program to Chadwell, who had won almost two-thirds of his games in Division II and FCS. That's how you work your way up.

In his second full season as coach, it all came together for the former East Tennessee State quarterback. The Chanticleers went undefeated in the program's 18th season overall and fourth at the FBS level. Coastal Carolina is a complete program led by redshirt freshman quarterback Grayson McCall and the Sun Belt's best scoring defense. All of it earned Chadwell a long-term extension when other schools showed interest.

"As a coach, you believe in yourself and you believe in what you're doing," Chadwell said. "Now, did I think it would lead to this opportunity? No, not at all. But, that's a God thing."

Chadwell becomes our third CBS Sports Coach of the Year choice in four years from the Sun Belt.
Charleston Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:48 pm

I do find it funny thinking about last season when so many thought we deserved much better than the Cheribundi Boca Raton Bowl when Coastal Carolina goes 11-0 (including agreeing to take on Brigham Young) and is ranked number 12 and still doesn't get a "good bowl".

They really have been a great story this season and I hope they clock Liberty.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Return to Football