PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Looking at the 2021 SMU schedule....

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Looking at the 2021 SMU schedule....

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:48 pm

Looking @ our 2021 schedule with a new QB...

I see about 7-8 wins...what do you see?

C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Looking at the 2021 SMU schedule....

Postby BIGHORSE » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:39 am

Tough schedule, but I can see 8 wins if all our guys are healthy.
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:21 am

Somewhere between 4-8 and 8-4 would be my "way too early to call" prediction. I like the non-conference schedule with games getting progressively tougher to break in a new QB but the conference schedule is brutal
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:38 am

Charleston Pony wrote:Somewhere between 4-8 and 8-4 would be my "way too early to call" prediction. I like the non-conference schedule with games getting progressively tougher to break in a new QB but the conference schedule is brutal

I agree with this prediction depending on dates, but tend to favor 6-6. Realistically, I hope our toughest games are at the end of the season since we will go on our November swoon no matter who the opponent is. If we play Tulsa, Tulane, and USF in October we will win those games. We will lose road games to Navy, Cincinnati, and Memphis no matter when they are played. Houston is a game we might win if it is early in the season but lose if it is in November. I'm not optimistic about beating UCF but that is another game we might win if it is in October but lose in November.
mustangxc

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:47 am

I guess if TCU has another less than stellar year....we might have a chance to upset the Fatterson Toads.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby peruna81 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:07 pm

mustangxc wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:Somewhere between 4-8 and 8-4 would be my "way too early to call" prediction. I like the non-conference schedule with games getting progressively tougher to break in a new QB but the conference schedule is brutal

I agree with this prediction depending on dates, but tend to favor 6-6. Realistically, I hope our toughest games are at the end of the season since we will go on our November swoon no matter who the opponent is. If we play Tulsa, Tulane, and USF in October we will win those games. We will lose road games to Navy, Cincinnati, and Memphis no matter when they are played. Houston is a game we might win if it is early in the season but lose if it is in November. I'm not optimistic about beating UCF but that is another game we might win if it is in October but lose in November.

Aye.
We may be improved and not show it in the record. O Line and QB will be the issue...both have to excel for anything better than 6-6
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby AusTxPony » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:07 pm

OOC schedule is brilliant for breaking in a new QB, starting easy and getting tougher as the season rolls. Conference schedule is pretty brutal missing just Temple and ECU (who might be pretty tough next year). Looks like a bowl year to me, but...we'll see.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:19 pm

peruna81 wrote:
mustangxc wrote:

Aye.
We may be improved and not show it in the record. O Line and QB will be the issue...both have to excel for anything better than 6-6

Yes, QBs like Garrett Gilbert and Shane Buechele help hide lots of weaknesses on the team. I think our overall talent has improved the last few seasons, but we need the QB to step up in order to tread water and not take a big step back.
mustangxc

Postby mrydel » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:00 pm

Don’t worry. By September most will be predicting 13-0.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:09 pm

mrydel wrote:Don’t worry. By September most will be predicting 13-0.

LoL...true!

(7-10 makes me happy)
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:22 am

Little Ricky needs to get us out of playing the Navy senior day, that's a big L, even if Navy is 0-11.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:25 am

ALEX LIFESON wrote:Little Ricky needs to get us out of playing the Navy senior day, that's a big L, even if Navy is 0-11.

plus an earlier date up there would usually be a better road trip weather-wise.
the Navy date will be getting close to Nov when we tend to fall into the black hole

C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:29 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
ALEX LIFESON wrote:Little Ricky needs to get us out of playing the Navy senior day, that's a big L, even if Navy is 0-11.

plus an earlier date up there would usually be a better road trip weather-wise.
the Navy date will be getting close to Nov when we tend to fall into the black hole

Who can forget the trip to Annapolis in JJ's 1st year? Certainly nobody that made that trip!
Charleston Pony

Postby Arkpony » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:15 pm

My wife and I were the last SMU fans left in the stands when the game ended. Horrible typhoon we sat thru.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:20 pm

Arkpony wrote:My wife and I were the last SMU fans left in the stands when the game ended. Horrible typhoon we sat thru.

The whitewater cascading down the stands and the lopsided nature of that game chased us in the 4th quarter. We made it back to the hotel to see the finish on lobby TV.
Charleston Pony

Next

Return to Football