PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

NORTH TEXAS Would Be Best Thing 2 Happen 2 SMU FB In Years !

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Gee you're right

Postby MustangSally » Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:47 pm

You know what, I think this guy has a good point. Let's go ahead and cancel EVERY game we have planned for next year and schedule UNT every week. After all it would be exciting to see Ford taken over by 'normal down-to-earth' people from Denton. I guess it's a rule that if you go there you have to be completely middle-class and amazingly sincere. Surely no snotty people have EVER graduated from UNT, and that excites me since I never get the chance to meet any normal people here at SMU.

UNT is good in football recently...we aren't...why not try and rub it in a little more.
From high on the hilltop, in Big D...
MustangSally
Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:02 pm

Point is, NT has been pretty good playing against Ark St., Southwestern Middle Oklahoma St., ect. ect. They would be lucky to win two conference games if they played in the WAC or C-USA.
LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re:

Postby MeanGreenGem » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:56 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:Point is, NT has been pretty good playing against Ark St., Southwestern Middle Oklahoma St., ect. ect. They would be lucky to win two conference games if they played in the WAC or C-USA.

REVISED AND TOO LONG--HAVE A SLEEP DISORDER? HERE'S THE CURE!

Huh?!?!?!:( Seems I remember North Texas beating CUSA's football co-champion in 2002 at the New Orleans Bowl? That CUSA team ranked just above SWMOSt. if I recall the power ratings for that year! :shock: (just kiddin', but actually they tied with TCU for that 2002 CUSA football co-championship).

Some of you having a bad day today? A response to a couple preceeding posts from 2 Mustangers:

(1) I am not rubbing in anything/UNT has had its own football drought, too, and we appreciate the non-drought times now. Kevin Blackistone is not a favorite writer of mine, either. Neither is Jim Reeves of the FW Star Telegram for that matter. He is too much of a "purple-blooded" homer. I prefer some objectivity among sports scribes.

(2) Although I was a "non commuter" student while at UNT, I am not from Denton nor do I live there now...Most of our alums don't--they graduate and most prefer to stay in the Metroplex albeit not in Denton, although many of us would if we could. It's really a nice little college town with some pretty good live music at your disposal (among other things). I grew up in the Houston area, almost chose my home area schools of UH and TAMU as my college of choice. I now live in Weatherford, Texas (actually live between FW and Weatherford) in a part of Parker County that had ranches that were raided by Commanche and Kiowa Indians back in the day. In fact, Parker County was named after a pre-Republic of Texas relative. (I just know yall wanted to read all that)! LOL!

(3) One of you mentioned, uh, snobs? UNT has its share of snobs but also has different personality-types from all socio-economic groups that you might think a school with over 100,000 North Texas Exes in DFW would. Most of the UNT-educated rich and famous I've had the priviledge of meeting the last few decades I would never describe as snobs, though. Most snobs I've met in my life were forever trying to keep up with the Joneses and when they couldn't, they got a little bitter, started acting uppity and tried to act as if they did (in fact) catch up with the Joneses.

One of our North Texas Exes came within a gnats whisker of buying the Houston Astros before his good friend, Drayton McClane, barely outbid him for ownership. That was McClane's fellow grocery tycoon friend, Robert Randall Onstead (Randalls Food Stores) of Houston and a UNT alum originally from Corsicana as I recall reading in a UNT publication.

A guy named Mattress (Jim McIngvale) Mac who played for Hayden Fry at UNT hasn't done so bad either. He and his Houston-based furniture chain used to sponsor a bowl in Houston, ie, galleryfurniture.com Bowl? Must admit there are more than just those 2, but most of us are very aware of the many success stories of SMU alums.

Hey! Don't forget, we live in the Metroplex, too, most of us are very aware of what is going on around us in our home area and most of our UNT constituency reads both area Belo publications, ie, the Dallas Morning News AND the Denton Record-Chronicle. Both of those newspapers do a pretty good job of keeping us on top of area going on's and about who all the area movers and shakers are--many who are alums of SMU, TCU and UNT.

I'm just a ramblin' man....If you are not asleep after reading this, you apparently have a definite sleep disorder and need to consult your doctor. :mrgreen:
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Previous

Return to Football