PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Josh McCown

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Josh McCown

Postby PonyTime » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:58 am

ponyboy wrote:And probably still the best post DP recruiter.

Really? Really? Maybe at Georgia when he was asked by Dooley to sleep in his car outside of Herschel's house.

The only top recruits he landed at SMU were ones that no-one else would admit to their schools (Marcus Mosley and some CB stooge - Donaldson?) and were only admitted to SMU after Steve Malin had someone stand in for their ACT/SAT tests. And those are only two that we know about - how many more were there who didn't take their tests when Malin was around?
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:42 pm

Really. The two classes of ‘97 and ‘98 were outstanding, earning national recognition.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:06 pm

I think we hit a low point in talent during the Cavan years. While he was acclaimed to be a solid recruiter I found him completely uninspiring and except for a few gems here and there like Kevin Garrett and Jonas Rutledge we were very talent deficient.
mustangxc

Postby ponyboy » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:51 pm

If you want to think about those two classes, you could do worse than to remember Vic Viloria. He’s representative of Cavan’s haul those two years.
ponyboy

Postby redpony » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:10 pm

was actually hoping Vic would return to work with our new fball coach.
redpony

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:30 pm

mustangxc wrote:(Cavan) was a terrible coach and is a jerk. I was ecstatic when Copeland finally got rid of him.

Totally agree!

And we see how many coaching jobs Mike Cavan had after SMU fired him.

ZER0!

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/riche ... net-worth/
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Ikus » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:11 pm

ESPN quoted someone saying Lovie Smith still wants McCown on his staff
Ikus
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:35 am

Ikus wrote:ESPN quoted someone saying Lovie Smith still wants McCown on his staff

Good way for Josh to break into the league, assuming that's what he wants to do. I thought it would be a really risky move to give him a HC position with no NFL coaching experience but he was Lovie Smith's QB during a brief stint in Chicago and those guys have a relationship. I think Josh's 1st venture into coaching was with a local H.S. here in the Charlotte area (he had moved here during his stint with the Carolina Panthers) and he was working with the QBs. Texans will apparently have QB challenges with the Deshaun Watson situation, so as a tenured NFL QB Josh might be a good hire.
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyPride » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:55 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
Ikus wrote:ESPN quoted someone saying Lovie Smith still wants McCown on his staff

Good way for Josh to break into the league, assuming that's what he wants to do. I thought it would be a really risky move to give him a HC position with no NFL coaching experience but he was Lovie Smith's QB during a brief stint in Chicago and those guys have a relationship. I think Josh's 1st venture into coaching was with a local H.S. here in the Charlotte area (he had moved here during his stint with the Carolina Panthers) and he was working with the QBs. Texans will apparently have QB challenges with the Deshaun Watson situation, so as a tenured NFL QB Josh might be a good hire.

Worst-case scenario: if things go badly for the Houston offense, Smith could tell him to trade his headset for a helmet!
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:43 pm

PonyPride wrote:Worst-case scenario: if things go badly for the Houston offense, Smith could tell him to trade his headset for a helmet!

Just 2 more seasons and Josh could be another 20 year guy. Not exactly George Blanda or Tom Brady longevity, but really impressive career as a "journeyman" QB. I doubt there's a long list of guys who played QB in the NFL more than 18 years
Charleston Pony

Previous

Return to Football