PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Roster additions

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Roster additions

Postby PonyPride » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:47 am

In his media access Wednesday, Sonny Dykes talked about new DC Jim Leavitt and the Mustangs' new players, both transfers and freshmen who enrolled early. New players include:

DEFENSIVE LINE
Jay Bell (6-2, 200) FR-HS — Beaumont, Texas / West Brook
Thor Reneau (6-3, 215) FR-HS — Redondo Beach, Calif. / Redondo Union

TIGHT END
Grant Calcaterra (6-4, 242) JR-GT — Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif. / Oklahoma / Santa Margarita Catholic
Simon Gonzalez (6-4, 235) FR-TR — Magnolia, Texas / Texas Tech / Magnolia
Nolan Matthews (6-4, 260) FR-TR — Frisco, Texas / Arizona State / Reedy
Alex Quirk (6-5, 215)FR-TR — Darien, Conn. / Fairleigh Dickinson / Darien

WIDE RECEIVER
Dylan Goffney (6-1, 195) FR-HS — Cypress, Texas / Bridgeland
Charles Headen (5-8, 185) SR-GT — Philadelphia, Pa. / Shippensburg University / LaSalle College HS
Jordan Kerley (6-2, 185) FR-TR — Austin, Texas / Arizona State / McNeil

RUNNING BACK
Orlando Jones (5-9, 240) JR-JC — Fredericksburg, Va. / Hutchinson CC

DEFENSIVE BACK
Bryce McMorris (6-0, 180) FR-HS — Cypress, Texas / Bridgeland

QUARTERBACK
Tanner Mordecai (6-2, 211) SO-TR — Waco, Texas / Oklahoma / Midway
John Seter (6-3, 180) JR-GT — Athens, Ga. / Georgia / Lovejoy
Preston Stone (6-2, 205) FR-HS — Dallas, Texas / Parish Episcopal
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Roster additions

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:26 am

With the "free" year because of Covid, the spring roster has only 13 Seniors and is loaded with FR, RS FR and Sophs which might be the case with many of our conference mates, but it sure looks promising for what this program might be in the near future. Like Sonny has preached, the real challenge at this point is to improve the bottom 3rd of the roster. By now we know how important that is by the time November rolls around and guys are either out or playing hurt
Charleston Pony

Postby AusTxPony » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:41 am

For years being in Dallas was a negative and made our attendance difficult with all the sports competition for this small, private school with little DMN backing located in snobby Park Cities. Even in the Eighties with our best teams we could not fill stadiums without help from the big State Unis. Now with the Transfer Portal, our HCDykes has tapped into the Dallas magnet and turned location into a positive. The "Dallas" campaign is a brilliant idea. Consistent winning is next on the agenda. If we can achieve that, then SMU Football has a chance to succeed in the future. Are things finally gelling for our Mustangs? I am optimistic.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:34 pm

Don't like to read this...but hey it's part of having a good coach.

Dykes’ name came up during the off-season in the Tennessee coaching search. He (Dykes) said there are jobs where he would take the call and listen. But he did not indicate if Tennessee fell into that category. He said at this point in his career he is less enamored, “with the logo,” and more focused on fit, which he said is at SMU. He also said he and his agent team work to, “Make sure my name does not get out there for jobs.”

https://lastwordonsports.com/collegefoo ... ZPyxmJBSVw
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Paladin » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:40 am

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:Don't like to read this...but hey it's part of having a good coach.

Dykes’ name came up during the off-season in the Tennessee coaching search. He (Dykes) said there are jobs where he would take the call and listen. But he did not indicate if Tennessee fell into that category. He said at this point in his career he is less enamored, “with the logo,” and more focused on fit, which he said is at SMU. He also said he and his agent team work to, “Make sure my name does not get out there for jobs.”

https://lastwordonsports.com/collegefoo ... ZPyxmJBSVw

Coach Dykes is pretty savvy, and I hope the message being delivered to Athletic Dept is "hey I like it here but is there any chance of a compensation increase so it remains in my best long-term interests to stick around". Hopefully the right people are listening and respond. SD is the best thing to happen to SMU athletics since forever.....
Paladin
All-American

Postby geezerdonk » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:06 am

5'9" 240 - can't wait to see him in uniform.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby smitty329 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:00 pm

geezerdonk wrote:5'9" 240 - can't wait to see him in uniform.

I smell our 4th and Goal from the 1 yard line option (that would be the opponents 1 yard line). Based on his huddle video and the fact he has put on 27 pounds since then, he won't be a break-away, catch you later type back.
smitty329
All-American

Postby numero_uno » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:46 pm

Like wow! What are we going to do @QB? Tanner Mordecai, John Seter, Preston Stone... I'm worried we lose Stone because we have two potential starters transferring in.
I feel like Stone is the guy to get our area commits excited and continue building this program around. I figure 1 year with Mordecai under center, and then it's the Stone Show.

Either way, I like the positive attention people are throwing to SMU, wanting to come here and play.
numero_uno
Junior Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:55 pm

AusTxPony wrote:Now with the Transfer Portal, our HCDykes has tapped into the Dallas magnet and turned location into a positive.

It is amazing what Sonny has been able to do with the Dallas uniforms and everything. Hopefully it continues and the Ponies reach the next level!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby ponyboy » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:14 pm

numero_uno wrote:Like wow! What are we going to do @QB? Tanner Mordecai, John Seter, Preston Stone... I'm worried we lose Stone because we have two potential starters transferring in.
I feel like Stone is the guy to get our area commits excited and continue building this program around. I figure 1 year with Mordecai under center, and then it's the Stone Show.

Either way, I like the positive attention people are throwing to SMU, wanting to come here and play.

Seter was a walk-on at Georgia with no apparent scholarship offers out of high school. But Stone and Mordecai are a good pair for sure.
ponyboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:01 pm

numero_uno wrote:Like wow! What are we going to do @QB? Tanner Mordecai, John Seter, Preston Stone... I'm worried we lose Stone because we have two potential starters transferring in.

Seter is most likely a grad school walkon and replacement for the scout team QB (Carson Welch) who entered the portal and is looking for a new home
Charleston Pony

Postby ClassOf81 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:58 pm

My thought exactly.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby ClassOf81 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:02 pm

smitty329 wrote:

I smell our 4th and Goal from the 1 yard line option (that would be the opponents 1 yard line). Based on his huddle video and the fact he has put on 27 pounds since then, he won't be a break-away, catch you later type back.

Bently and McDaniel are stronger than I thought when they started, but not overpowering. Lavine is the sturdiest of the 3 who played lady year, but this guy surely changes that. If nothing else, put him in with Lavine and pray for the LBs trying to fill gaps.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Return to Football