PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Univ. of Colorado's Gary Barnett Placed on Leave

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Univ. of Colorado's Gary Barnett Placed on Leave

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:58 pm

(AP) - Colorado football coach Gary Barnett was suspended for his comments about a female player who accused a teammate of rape, the latest blow to an already-troubled football program. Barnett was placed on paid leave Wednesday night by university president Elizabeth Hoffman, who also said she was "utterly distressed" over comments Barnett made in a 2001 police report filed by another woman who said a football player raped her.
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:01 pm

So where do you think Barnett will end up after CU fires him. And which of the CU recruits from Texas would you offer a scholarship to?
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby giacfsp » Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:39 pm

Man, how would you like to be Barnett's agent when he's looking for his next job?

My prediction is that he'll soon be fired, spend a year fishing or playing golf. Then he'll re-surface for a year when a friend hires him as an assistant (like Mike Tice did for George O'Leary, whose indescretions weren't anywhere near as offensive as Barnett's comments). In 2006 or 2007, he'll once again be a head coach at some start-up or rebuilding program, after a press conference in which he'll offer hollow apologies, he'll rant on about being thankful for another chance, and slide in a few whiny comments about how his statements were misconstrued.

Personally, I can't think of a way in which his comments about Katie Hnida possibly could have been misconstrued.

Does he have a wife? Daughters? I wonder what they thought of his pearls of wisdom.
giacfsp
Heisman

Return to Football