PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

If you want to show your support for SMU TRACK

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

If you want to show your support for SMU TRACK

Postby davidsmu94 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:39 pm

Everyone who wants to support the track team, please meet at Jim Copland's office at Moody 7:30 am on Friday Morning. He has agreed to meet with us there
davidsmu94
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:17 pm

Good luck. But it sounds like the axe has already fallen...and the decapitated head of the SMU Men's Track Team has already been set on a spike for all to see. Sad. So sad.
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Sic_em » Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:19 am

Tell Copeland that Sic_em says hi.
Sic_em
Junior Varsity

Postby SMU71 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:18 am

With the elimination of the track team does it mean that Copeland and Dement will have to here until the end of their contracts no matter how bad their performance because we can’t afford to make a change?
SMU71

DUMP Copeland, NOT TRACK!

Postby PlanoStang » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:01 am

Didn't he make the decision to rip out a 3 year old playing surface at Ford for how many million last summer? We are rich enough to do that but not keep track?

Maybe we could sell Ford Stadium to Frisco so they don't have to build that $65 million stadium there. We won't be needing it for football in a couple of years anyway with Copeland around....Or wait...rent it out to the Burn to make money for track. Remember when we rented out Ownby to the Dallas Tornado.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dooby » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:05 am

I have my own reasons for not being thrilled with Copeland's efforts and results, but this is not one of them. Do you actually think a different AD would make a different decision?
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PlanoStang » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:13 am

Yes, a different AD such as Russ Potts would find a way to raise money for a track team. Copeland supposedly persuaded Mr. Ford to build the stadium, but cannot find a corporate sponsorship, or individual donor to support a top team that produces Olympians.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Re:

Postby Dooby » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:29 am

PlanoStang wrote:Yes, a different AD such as Russ Potts would find a way to raise money for a track team. Copeland supposedly persuaded Mr. Ford to build the stadium, but cannot find a corporate sponsorship, or individual donor to support a top team that produces Olympians.

Russ Potts is having trouble finding money to balance the state of Virginia's budget (he's a state senator there); he has bigger fish to fry.

BTW, why did Potts let the baseball team fold? He was the AD then.

As I said in another thread, this is happening all over the country. TCU canned its soccer team in 2000.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PlanoStang » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:44 am

I didn't mean trading Copeland for Potts. I figured there was no way he'd come back to SMU. I was remembering about how he pulled off attendance miracles. etc.

Wasn't it [deleted] Davis that canned the baseball team in 76 or 77?? Potts
didn't become AD until about 78.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dooby » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:52 am

Per today's DMN:

Baseball was dropped in 1980...

Potts came here in 1978. I confess, it is possible that the decision to end baseball was made before he came to SMU (though I doubt it).
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby davish75 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:42 pm

Baseball ended in 1980
AustinTX
davish75
Junior Varsity

Postby RE Tycoon » Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:19 pm

If you want to show support for the track team, buy a lotto ticket tonight and pray that you win.

Go 'STANGS
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Return to Football