PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Title IX

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Title IX

Postby Mickey » Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:45 am

This is not about equality for women's sports. That was achieved many many years ago. Schools are now creating women's sports and begging students to take a scholarship.

For my information, why was Mens Track elininated? Why not swimming or soccer? Curious what those numbers say.

It would seem to me that soccer would be the sport to eliminate. Many conferences dont even have Mens Soccer- Big 12, WAC,SEC. That is why SMU is playing in the Missouri Valley. Does CUSA have Mens Soccer?

In my view, if we drop a sport, it should be one that most other schools or conferences don't participate in. I would bet more schools particpate in Mens Track versus Mens Soccer.

Just curious!
Mickey
All-American

Postby PK » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:04 am

My understanding is that Title IX is kind of a year to year thing. SMU's enrollment is 53% female and as such the athletic scholarships have to be divided up in that same proportion. That percentage can change every year.

I believe C-USA does have men's soccer...and track too, but evidently Tulane recently shut down their men's track and field program also.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:32 pm

In addition, cutting soccer or swimming would not decrease the size of the men's prgrams enough to be complient with title IX. They also get better attendance (at least soccer does), so more revenue comes in.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football