PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Practice Notes

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Practice Notes

Postby JasonB » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:34 am

ponyboy wrote:If we have a deep OL, a solid RB, WR core -- and the pick of the litter in terms of QB -- I have a hard time imagining that we'll see a huge drop off post-Shane. I also imagine we'll see an improved defense. But there are unknowns. There are scenarios in which I'd be very happy with 7 wins this years. My guess is we'll win 8 or 9.

The schedule is difficult this season.

Shane was a plus QB at the college level. There is a lot of potential out there on the field. To win the AAC, you are going to need plus performance at the QB position.

As I said, Green is a nice backup QB. But you could see a huge difference in performance between him and Shane at practice. Until we see Mordecai or Stone create a significant separation between them and Green, I don't think we will get plus performance out of the QB spot. It will happen at some point, the question is whether we will get that in 2021 or if it isn't until 2022.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby HubbaHubba » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:26 pm

Good to hear that the defense appears to know what to do. Of course it against our own team and we'll have to see how it stacks up against real opposition. If we can cut down on giving up the big play and long 3rd down conversions we'll be much improved. With more stops our offense will get more chances to make up for any drop off from last year.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:52 pm

I'm sticking to 6-6 but would not be surprised to see 8-4. Until we get over our November swoon, talk of conference championships is way premature.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby peruna81 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:47 pm

I'm pleased to hear the defense is more physical and faster. You can't 'coach' speed into players.

7-5, and a minor bowl win. Rinse and repeat for 1 more year.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Football