PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

CFP Playoff May Become a 12 Team Model

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: CFP Playoff May Become a 12 Team Model

Postby EastStang » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:53 pm

It also gives the NCAA a Cinderella story line like March Madness where a 16 seed can upset a 1 seed once in a blue moon. Here, you grab a 12 seed and beat a five seed (#2 SEC). Then you get a four seed (PAC 12 Champion). Now you're on a roll, and facing the one seed. People would tune in hoping against hope that the little guy somehow beats AL, OSU or Clemson.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:26 pm

Mike Leach agrees.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31857169/mississippi-state-coach-mike-leach-looks-12-team-playoff-personally-see-64

While some coaches and players around college football have come out against an expanded 12-team playoff, Mississippi State coach Mike Leach wants even more participation.

Asked if 12 teams is enough, Leach said Wednesday, "It's never enough."

"But I'll tell you what," he said, "Mark Keenum, our president, is on that committee, so I know they're in good hands. I think that part is outstanding.

"I think 12 teams is a huge step in the right direction. I personally would like to see 64, and you could map it out pretty easily."
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:01 pm

Given the recent developments and the Big XII's move to remain relevant, my guess is that the "expanded playoff" model will eventually be 8 teams with auto bids going to the current P5 conference champs and 3 at large (with 2-3 of those coming from the SEC)

That would most likely force schools in the P5 conferences to schedule non-conference games against other P5 schools to enhance their conference's reputation as they chase those at large bids. This would give TCU the excuse they will want to discontinue their long running series with SMU as we will be relegated to a "lower level" conference.

Can you tell that I'm not very optimistic about how this is all appears to be playing out? As I watch the TCU vs Cal game, I will admit I'm envious and wishing SMU had made the same commitment to athletics that TCU did after being shunned by our old SWC mates. Twenty years of wandering in the desert appears to have sealed our fate. Sure would be nice if we were beating another P5 program in front of close to 40k in an expanded Ford Stadium, but oh well...

Beat the tar out of UNT!
Charleston Pony

Previous

Return to Football