PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Six Mustangs named to DCTF pre-season All-Texas team

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Six Mustangs named to DCTF pre-season All-Texas team

Postby Donnell88 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:43 pm

In a recently-published edition, Dave Campbell's Texas Football has named six Mustangs to their pre-season All-Texas team. First team: WR Reggie Roberson and OT Jaylon Thomas. Second team: RB Ulysses Bentley, WR Rashee Rice, OL Hayden Howerton and LB Delano Robinson.
Donnell88
All-American

Re: Six Mustangs named to DCTF pre-season All-Texas team

Postby BUS » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:49 pm

This is proof we are getting better. Thank you Sonny and staff.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyboy » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:50 pm

Accurate list.
ponyboy

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:06 am

Cool. We should be one of the best teams in the state this season.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby ojaipony » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:23 pm

I would wager that Gray will be on this list as well as 1 other defensive player. And I hope we get QB play well enough from someone to make at least an honorable mention.
ojaipony

Postby ponyboy » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:16 pm

Agreed. I do think Gray’s gonna have a breakout season.
ponyboy

Postby PNW_Stang » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:22 pm

I think SMU will have the best G5 offense. Or at least top 2-3. (Assuming McDaniel is back 100% too)

Defense seems like it could be middle of the road G5, but hoping that Jim Leavitt gives us a boost there.

There are just several spots on defense where the first team seems solid, but not a lot of depth. Could change with a few transfers.

The springs reports on the defense were good so maybe my thoughts are unfounded.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:31 pm

Middle of the road G5 is not very good at all. Maybe you mean middle of the road AAC?
ponyboy

Postby JasonB » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:29 pm

PNW_Stang wrote:I think SMU will have the best G5 offense. Or at least top 2-3. (Assuming McDaniel is back 100% too)

Defense seems like it could be middle of the road G5, but hoping that Jim Leavitt gives us a boost there.

There are just several spots on defense where the first team seems solid, but not a lot of depth. Could change with a few transfers.

The springs reports on the defense were good so maybe my thoughts are unfounded.

The big thing with the defense is that you have to have a "guy". The guy that the other team fears, who makes plays. It takes a very average group and makes them great. Collins is what made the Tulsa D great. Without him in that bunch, they are a very average defense. Nelson made a ton of plays a couple years ago, but it was Scott stepping forward and becoming unblockable 1v1 that allowed Nelson to run free.

Moore is a very good player. But he isn't a game-breaker. Him coming back makes us better, but doesn't make us great. A corner stepping up, like Crossley, makes us a lot better. But won't shift the complexion of the entire defense.

Deion was great with the Cowboys, but the real impact was Haley. What you need is someone to step up on the DL, Stang, or Fox and be great. We have a lot of "solid" across the board. But what we are looking for is Paul, Levelston, Williams, or Chatman to become "unblockable" or "dominant". Or Burns needs to just be incredible at Fox. That is what everyone should be looking for out of Fall practice. If one of those guys really turn it up, and force the attention of the offense, all of the other players are good enough to take advantage. Coxe, Nbuike, Wiley are all very solid players. But if Paul beats them out handily and is clearly dominant that is a good sign. Levelston, Williams, and Chatman are the guys I have my eye on internally. When someone on the interior 3 requires a double, it allows the Fox and the Stang to work on a tackle in space without help, and we will win a lot of the time.

When that move forward happened with Scott, Thompson, and Hunt on the DL in the past, it was very clear quickly at fall practice. We need that to happen with someone from this group. Our experienced OL struggling during spring practice is a testament to the overall strength of the defensive line group. But we still need a guy.
JasonB

Postby ClassOf81 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:18 pm

I'd like to see Chatman on these lists at the end of the year
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby Donnell88 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:42 pm

As usual, I agree with everything JasonB says. And I really hope our new defensive coordinator hates the 3-man pass rush as much as I do.
Donnell88
All-American

Return to Football