PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Cole Beasley making news

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Cole Beasley making news

Postby panhandle_pony » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:48 am

Thank Dr. Malonish: So as a 70 plus senior citizen, I received the two dose vaccine. It was my choice and I think I made the correct decision. On the other hand, I know plenty of adults who for whatever reason, political, scientific, religious or otherwise, decided against the vaccine. The vast majority of these non-vaccinated individuals came from college educated backgrounds. As the President would say, "here's the deal:" I don't think this forum is the outlet to infer Cole, or anybody else, didn't receive a proper education because of his or her reluctance to vaccinate. Maybe the post was in jest, and if so, I have over reacted.
panhandle_pony
All-American

Postby malonish » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:03 pm

panhandle_pony wrote:Thank Dr. Malonish: So as a 70 plus senior citizen, I received the two dose vaccine. It was my choice and I think I made the correct decision. On the other hand, I know plenty of adults who for whatever reason, political, scientific, religious or otherwise, decided against the vaccine. The vast majority of these non-vaccinated individuals came from college educated backgrounds. As the President would say, "here's the deal:" I don't think this forum is the outlet to infer Cole, or anybody else, didn't receive a proper education because of his or her reluctance to vaccinate. Maybe the post was in jest, and if so, I have over reacted.

Oh sorry for being unclear.

I think Cole and others who don't get vaccinated because they have "feelings" about it got either a lackluster education or have chosen to do so due to lack of critical thinking skills.

That should clear it up.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:33 pm

panhandle_pony wrote:Correct sir! “Experts” on both sides of this issue.

Science doesn't have "both sides"
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby panhandle_pony » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:22 pm

"Science is defined as the observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of natural phenomena." I think mathematical science may have different connotations that fit your description, but I'm definitely not a scientist !
panhandle_pony
All-American

Postby Ikus » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:00 pm

Buffalo brass may not like Beasley's comments, but it won't affect his role. Bills drafted just one receiver - Houston's Marquez Stevenson - who shouldn't take reps from Beasley.
Ikus
Heisman

Postby malonish » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:11 pm

His vaccine denial and lack of scientific literacy will hamper his practice ability if he can't recover in the saunas, use the weight rooms as freely, waste time with tests every day etc. and then when they travel he will have to stay locked up and instead of socializing. I guess he can focus on his music career with that time.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:11 pm

panhandle_pony wrote:"Science is defined as the observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of natural phenomena." I think mathematical science may have different connotations that fit your description, but I'm definitely not a scientist !

If you are hypothesizing then yes, there are many different hypothesis, but once there is enough evidence for scientific theories and laws then there aren't multiple sides.
mustangxc

Postby peruna81 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:10 pm

Cole has made his choice concerning being vaccinated...I would presume everyone reading this (or not) have made their own as well.

One of the nice things about still living in this nation is the notion of personal liberty. We are witness of that with Beasley's decision.

His decision is not mine. His reasons may not be mine. Nevertheless, I can't impugn his character or his decision-making regarding what is essentially HIS decision alone.

Will it put himself or others at risk? That is part of the responsibility of any decision.

I wish him well.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:45 pm

mustangxc wrote:If you are hypothesizing then yes, there are many different hypothesis, but once there is enough evidence for scientific theories and laws then there aren't multiple sides.

So basically you think everyone that declines the vaccine thus far is an idiot...which is over half the US population. Every last one of them are not the clear thinker you are? Every last one of the 150 million Americans are dumb or confused?

I have a question I have asked every single vaccine know-it-all that condemns people concerned about taking the "emergency, never before used in a vaccine technology, non-FDA approved, rushed to production, vaccine".

How long does the immunity last with the vaccine you are sooooo proud and feeling superior to others last?

mustangxc how long does your immunity last from this vaccine you have so must trust in?

"well i dunno boss.....it's supposed to be real good stuff....but hell I don't know how long it lasts"

Yes because NO ONE KNOWS....not Fauci...NOBODY!
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyPride » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:12 pm

Ikus wrote:Buffalo brass may not like Beasley's comments, but it won't affect his role. Bills drafted just one receiver - Houston's Marquez Stevenson - who shouldn't take reps from Beasley.

True ... but they also signed some guy named Emmanuel Sanders. It's hard to see him battling Beasley for the same role, but it's not like they didn't add to their receivers group.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby ponyboy » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:14 pm

For those of you who like to throw around epithets like “anti-vaxxer” or “science-denier” (as if the findings of “science” were wholly incapable of error), now is a good time for introspection. What does it say about the strength of your positions that you must consistently resort to calling people names who disagree with you? It seems to me bad faith and outrageous arrogance. Your engine is not science but fear and intimidation. I find Cole’s response quite refreshing and principled.

Consider this: You might not know everything, carry with you in your huge crania all wisdom that has descended to mankind. Show your fellow human beings some respect. And listen. You might learn something, as improbable as that may seem.

If that doesn’t work, you can always go back to name calling.
ponyboy

Postby JasonB » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:56 am

peruna81 wrote:Cole has made his choice concerning being vaccinated...I would presume everyone reading this (or not) have made their own as well.

One of the nice things about still living in this nation is the notion of personal liberty. We are witness of that with Beasley's decision.

His decision is not mine. His reasons may not be mine. Nevertheless, I can't impugn his character or his decision-making regarding what is essentially HIS decision alone.

Will it put himself or others at risk? That is part of the responsibility of any decision.

I wish him well.

Here is another way to think of it.

In an ideal situation, people would recognize that second hand smoke causes cancer and has a negative impact on those around them. They would voluntarily choose to smoke independently of everyone else, so that the only impact they have is on themselves.

However, people are too selfish to make those decisions. So, our next hope is that the free market will react. That restaurants and the like will ban smoking to protect the other people going to their establishments. Or that the market will react and people will choose to avoid establishments that won't ban smoking, so that those places change policy because they lose money.

However, sometimes that doesn't play out either. So the government has to act and pass rules and regulations to protect public safety.

With the Covid vaccine, you have an extreme case of a disease that has resulted in a lot of people dying. A group of people have decided whatever reason to run against the science and refuse to get the vaccine. But they want to follow the same rules of society as those people who have gotten the vaccine. Which puts everyone at risk, including those who aren't eligible (young kids), or people who for actual medical reasons are unable to get the vaccine.

As with second hand smoke, tough cookies. This is a serious situation. If you don't want to get a vaccine, just as if you want to smoke, that is your choice. But your individual choice shouldn't impact others. In this particular case, the government hasn't passed rules and regulations around vaccine passports and the like; it hasn't needed to, because the rate of disease transmission has plummeted because, thankfully, enough people aren't making stupid decisions.

However, we are at situation two, which is where private businesses are taking actions to protect other employees and other people that the unvaccinated (or smoking) individual might come into contact with. Traditional Republicans should be supportive of this approach, because it is driven by private industry rather than government regulation.

As for Beasley, he is making a personal decision. Sometimes, making a personal decision that runs in the face of science and the rest of society has some consequences to it. Especially if that personal decision could have negative consequences on other people. Continue smoking and have negative repercussions or quit smoking and enjoy the same rules as the rest of society. It is completely up to him.
JasonB

Postby CJPONY16 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:45 am

The science on this vaccine is so thorough and sound that its FDA approved, right?
If the science says the vaccine is so great, why are you worried about the people who don't get it? Doesn't it protect you from the virus? Doesn't that mean you will survive and all those idiot non-vaxers (paraphrasing) will die?
How many current NFL players, who are in peak physical condition, have died from Covid? How many healthy people have had side effects from the vaccine?
Why does it have to be my way or the highway? If you're protected, why do you care about those that aren't? Why cant we just let people make their own decisions and not label them as idiots or through out broad generalizations about a huge portion of the population?
CJPONY16
Junior Varsity

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:17 am

I personally know doctors (I'm married to one) on both sides of this debate.

The CDC has been all over the map, and they have changed their position over time on issues such as mask wearing. The fact that CDC guidance has changed from "no evidence that masks will protect from COVID", to wear a mask, to various other mask(s) + vaccine combinations, demonstrates that "science" isn't always correct (i.e they can't be correct the first time, if they later change their guidance). Most PonyFans are too young to remember, but in the '50s, a polio vaccine CAUSED 40,000 cases of polio and left hundreds of kids paralyzed.

So while both my Dr. wife and I have chosen to get fully vaccinated, the RNA sequencing vaccines are fairly new tech. So I think this, like other healthcare choices, is something where each individual needs to make the choice that is best for them and their family.

My only request (and I realize it's probably an impossibly large one given what constitutes average IQ) is that folks need to be thoughtful of others should they decide to forgo masks and shots.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:27 am

CJPONY16 wrote:The science on this vaccine is so thorough and sound that its FDA approved, right?
If the science says the vaccine is so great, why are you worried about the people who don't get it? Doesn't it protect you from the virus? Doesn't that mean you will survive and all those idiot non-vaxers (paraphrasing) will die?
How many current NFL players, who are in peak physical condition, have died from Covid? How many healthy people have had side effects from the vaccine?
Why does it have to be my way or the highway? If you're protected, why do you care about those that aren't? Why cant we just let people make their own decisions and not label them as idiots or through out broad generalizations about a huge portion of the population?

I'm a proponent of natural selection. However, in this case there are some people who are not able to get the vaccine, either because they are too young or because they have other health concerns. I should be able to take my kids out in public and not risk infection from some anti-vaccine idiot.

There are plenty of stories in European Soccer, for example, of very healthy players who got very sick from the vaccine. Some young athletes globally have been impacted by the heart issues. The percentage of negative side effects to young people is much lower with vaccine participants than non-vaccine participants who get sick from Covid. But again, even if they don't have significant side effects themselves, if they are carriers and infect others, that is a problem.

Again, people can take heroin all they want to - it doesn't impact anyone else. Communicable disease does. Even when it comes to disease, this is an extreme. For a normal flu, yes not getting vaccinated makes it spread more, but there isn't a significant negative impact. it is better for society for you to get vaccinated, but it isn't as much of a pressing concern. This is different. It is time for everyone to step up and do what is best for the people around them.

Also, think of it this way - the virus mutates a lot, right? So, let's say the only people who don't get vaccinated are young, healthy people. Guess who the virus will mutate to impact next?

Sure, people have the right to be selfish and ignorant. But that doesn't mean we should defend or support the people who are choosing to be selfish and ignorant.
JasonB

PreviousNext

Return to Football