PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Two Mustangs named to CFB's All-AAC preseason team

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Two Mustangs named to CFB's All-AAC preseason team

Postby Donnell88 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:50 am

Only two Mustangs were singled out: rb Ulysses Bentley and ot Jaylon Thomas.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2021/06 ... iew-2021/2
Donnell88
All-American

Re: Two Mustangs named to CFB's All-AAC preseason team

Postby JasonB » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:18 pm

When non of our WR make the top 30 conference players it tells you that it isn't a good list.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Donnell88 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:16 pm

I agree that Reggie Roberson and Rashee Rice deserve serious consideration. But I will concede that every team in the AAC has at least one receiver that scares me. Just look at what East Carolina (3-6) did to us last year - Blake Proehl's had 152 yards in receptions. We couldn't cover the guy.
Donnell88
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:23 pm

Donnell88 wrote:I agree that Reggie Roberson and Rashee Rice deserve serious consideration. But I will concede that every team in the AAC has at least one receiver that scares me. Just look at what East Carolina (3-6) did to us last year - Blake Proehl's had 152 yards in receptions. We couldn't cover the guy.

You are correct that there were several very talented WRs in the AAC. A healthy Roberson might deserve to be on that list but Rice still has to earn that level of respect.
Charleston Pony

Postby HubbaHubba » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:27 pm

Donnell88 wrote:I agree that Reggie Roberson and Rashee Rice deserve serious consideration. But I will concede that every team in the AAC has at least one receiver that scares me. Just look at what East Carolina (3-6) did to us last year - Blake Proehl's had 152 yards in receptions. We couldn't cover the guy.

To be fair, we couldn't cover most 3rd graders last year.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby JasonB » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:12 pm

With Stephens getting drafted and the obvious talent of Crossley, our coverage problems were more on safety performance and inability to rush the passer.

Roberson not on that list is an absolute joke.
JasonB

Postby HubbaHubba » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:12 pm

I don't remember any "coverage sacks" by our defense last year. More pressure on the quarterback makes covering the receivers easier but better coverage creates more sacks as well. I think the NFL drafted on athletic ability and potential for Stephens. I saw Crossley get burned more often than I saw great plays from him. Hopefully you're right that our cornerbacks are wonderful and we can correct our pass defense with better safety play (and better defensive coaching). Last year, I sure got tired of 3rd and 7 being an automatic first down for the other team. Would like to have seen at least 1 defensive player on the All-AAC list.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby JasonB » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:02 am

HubbaHubba wrote:I don't remember any "coverage sacks" by our defense last year. More pressure on the quarterback makes covering the receivers easier but better coverage creates more sacks as well. I think the NFL drafted on athletic ability and potential for Stephens. I saw Crossley get burned more often than I saw great plays from him. Hopefully you're right that our cornerbacks are wonderful and we can correct our pass defense with better safety play (and better defensive coaching). Last year, I sure got tired of 3rd and 7 being an automatic first down for the other team. Would like to have seen at least 1 defensive player on the All-AAC list.

There is no such thing as a coverage sack anymore in college football :). With RPO and other strategies, there are just too many options and eventually someone gets open. You need QB pressure to force quick decisions, bad throws, and negative plays. We had that in droves a couple years ago, but not last season. Pressure is everything.
JasonB

Return to Football