PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Athletic praises SMU recruiting

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Donnell88 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:15 pm

"A Group of of 5 program landing legit blue-chip prospects couldn't possibly become a trend, could it?
"Yes, it can.
"Sonny Dykes has now done it for the second consecutive year with a Dallas-area prospect...
"SMU is putting itself in position to be one of the biggest winners in the changing world of college football. The Mustangs already utilized transfers in their recruiting strategy, targeting former Texas prospects who go out of state to big-time programs and later decide they want to return home. Now the Mustangs can do that even more effectively with the one-time transfer rule making it easier for those five- and four-star prospects to see the field immediately.
"Also, the impending expansion of the College Football Playoff will create a clear path for a team like SMU, which means the Mustangs can be a legitimate landing spot for a prospect who doesn't want to give up his dream of playing in the sport's postseason.
"Oh, what about name, image and likeness? SMU is located in the heart of Dallas.
"The Mustangs earning commitments from players such as (Preston) Stone and (Jordan) Hudson are head-turners. It's not typical for Group of 5 programs to steal prospects from schools like Oklahoma. But in the new world of college football? SMU has a real chance to recruit at the highest level."
Donnell88
All-American

Re: The Athletic praises SMU recruiting

Postby Lefty » Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:20 pm

Wow.
Lefty
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:39 pm

Can only hope we are back. Sonny appears to be the right guy at the right time.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyboy » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:41 pm

Lol, you are about the biggest noncommittal guy I know. *Appears* to be the right guy? C’mon CP! We couldn’t hardly have dreamed for more.
ponyboy

Postby mustangxc » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:02 am

We haven't won a conference championship or even landed in a bowl game of any significance. Recruiting well is nice, but until we win big the verdict is still out.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:49 am

ponyboy wrote:Lol, you are about the biggest noncommittal guy I know. *Appears* to be the right guy? C’mon CP! We couldn’t hardly have dreamed for more.

Talk to me when SMU is at least playing in the AAC Championship game. I seem to recall attending one of those in Orlando vs UCF when JJ was our coach and some of us thought he was "the guy" at that time. I grant you that Sonny & staff are recruiting as well, or better, than anyone else in the AAC but still have to see results on the field.
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyboy » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:42 pm

You gotta admit it’s fun! And not just recruiting: again, we spent most of our time ranked the last two or three seasons. Won’t shock me to be ranked again real soon. Sonny’s quickly building a really nice program.
ponyboy

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:03 am

The Dallas uniforms have taken our recruiting to another level and I am definitely expecting to see results of conference championships and bowl games in the coming years!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby geezerdonk » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:49 pm

Speaking of uniforms, are we going to be displaying names on the back of our helmets again this year? If so, I have five which each player can pick from: Lorne Ahrens, Michael Krol, Michael J. Smith, Brent Thompson, and Patrick Zamarripa. Great way to promote SMU's program of strengthening ties with the city and demonstrating the school's concern and commitment to Dallas.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby mtrout » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:54 am

Things are looking up for real. It's funny you guys mention the Dallas jersey as a significant factor. I can believe it but what a world we live in :)
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Return to Football