PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Lance McIlhenny FOR AD!!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Lance McIlhenny FOR AD!!

Postby davidsmu94 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:15 am

It's time we put an "SMU" man in charge of the athletic Department. What do you guys think? Lance has good business experience, He's an "SMU" guy. He can bring back the old and the new alumni. Comments?
davidsmu94
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:57 am

First, if he is a business guy, he's probably enjoying making lots of money, which he would not do as AD. Secondly, in making schedules there is a lot of horse-trading that goes on and prior relationships come into the forefront. Copeland (like him or hate him) is known by other AD's, a stranger would not get so warm a reception from them. Additionally, what does he know about NCAA compliance issues (other than he was here when all the rules were broken)? I think you would not find a great improvement in the programs under any new AD. In fact things might go the opposite direction. The only thing changing the AD could do is that it could get the issue of a sports friendly major on the table if a new AD raised that issue as something he would want to come on board.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dooby » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:27 pm

Without getting into the merits of hiring a new AD, please stop the fanboy nonsense. Somebody suggest Craig James a couple of months ago. This is ridiculous. If you are going to hire a new AD, I certainly would be opposed to hiring anyone without experience in administering college athletics. The biggest parts of the job are fundraising and scheduling. They don't F'ing keep an AD in the closet and bring him out every few years to fire and hire coaches. It is an actual job, ya know?

If you want to say Copeland should be fired, fine. If you want to debate his successes or failures, fine. But, do not (1) make stuff up; or (2) act like a deranged fanboy nut.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby davidsmu94 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:43 pm

It's really ashamed that I'm having to explain this. We've hired people to be govorners of states who had no political experience, so why is experience so crucial in taking over the SMU athletic department?

True Lance makes good money at what he does, but the AD position at SMU pays over $ 350,000 a year and I'd be willing to think that someone, maybe not Lance, could be lured by keeping the current pay of the AD.

To argue about what Copeland has done as AD is a waste of time, because there is no argument to be had on his behalf. I'm simply trying to put candidates out there who have a vested interest in SMU athletics and have intangibles to offer the program
davidsmu94
Heisman

Postby Dooby » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:59 pm

I, too, am ashamed for you that you have to explaing this. I, btw, worked for one of those guys with no political experience. The point is the same: I want somebody with some experience in this job.

I think it is pretty clear that this university and athletic department (at least in the past), doesn't know how to run a successful athletic department, so why hire an AD who doesn't either? I would rather hire someone who knows what to look for in a coach, knows how to raise money, knows how to put together a schedule, and F'ing knows how to run an athletic department.

You have 11 posts (and counting) on this board. All are related to canning Copeland or the elimination of the track team. I kind of question if you'd even care if Copeland did a good job or not if the track team hadn't gotten the ax.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PK » Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:03 pm

I'm not sure the example you site of inexperienced state governors is a valid comparison...maybe the head of a large company would be more logical, but not too many companies are going to entrust there future in the hands of an inexperinced CEO. Just for the sake of arguement, exactly what could a Lance McIlhenny or similar type guy had done differently over the last 10 years given the affects of the PYE model and direction of the Board of Trustees? I'm sure you're not an experienced AD either so your ideas would probably be just as valid as Lance's might be.
Last edited by PK on Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PK

Postby davidsmu94 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:04 pm

Dooby Before I did care, but it became an urgent matter once he started cutting programs. I can handle loosing, but when you start taking away opportunities, then it's a problem. You and I are obviously not going too see eye to eye on this.
davidsmu94
Heisman

Postby Eddie P » Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:14 pm

We are being a bit unreasonable on this board when we start making all encompassing statements such as: "Jim Copeland has never done anything during his tenure at SMU." (I'm paraphrasing here)

My association with this institution roughly mirrrors Copelands and President Turners. I think that can be viewed in both a positive and negative manner. But looking at things from as far back as 1995 to today, it would be pretty inaccurate to say that jim Copeland has brought nothing but negatives to this program. I would say the positives greatly outweigh the negatives...especially considering the climate in which he has to work. And Dooby/Kathy Bates was dead-on with his observation that an awfully large number of these fire and brimstone posts appear to be coming from a relatively small group of newcomers with perhaps an axe to grind. (Perhaps rightfully so, from their perspective)
Eddie P
Heisman

Postby ponyte » Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:35 pm

Why not hire a football coach without experience? Why limited our desire to place utter incompetence to just the AD position (this has nothing against Mclhenney or James or any other former athlete).

We elect incompetents to our government and we get incompetence in return. As bad as our athletic programs have been, do we really want the our programs to be run with the competence of Congress?

Copeland hasn't worked in an ideal environment. Football has stunk. Women's programs haven't been huge revenue successes and we have a school administration that is trying to improve its attitude towards athletics. Not an ideal environment for an AD.

At some point in time we, as a school community, have to quit blaming our coaches and Ads and start figuring out what we need to do to improve the system. Our system has killed us and we have allowed our system to continue in its merry old dysfunctional fashion for too long.
ponyte

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:01 pm

Could we just compile a list of the usual excuses and refer to them by number? They've all been recycled to death. Think Lance would wear real shoes and long pants if he were annointed? Not a chance.
Bergermeister

Ponyte is right

Postby Arkpony » Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:15 pm

The man speaks wisdom. It's this clear clean Arkansas air that does this, enabling one to see past the refuse and into the green pastures of logic and reason. Go Ponies!
Arkpony

Return to Football