PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Texas-Oklahoma reach out to SEC

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Texas-Oklahoma reach out to SEC

Postby max the wonder dog » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:41 pm

An advantage we (and Houston) have now we didn't have in the past is NLI.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby HubbaHubba » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:43 pm

redpony wrote:If those two bolt then I can see a possible merger between AAC and the big left-overs. Add TT, TCU, Okie light and one other school -not named baylor- and drop tiny tulsa and temple. That could result in a very good P5 conference. Let the others scramble for a place at the table.

This would be the dream scenario. The 4th team could be WVU, add them to the east division of the BIGACC new P5 conference.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:08 pm

We’ve got to get on with the expansion of Ford that we previously offered the Big 12 if this is going to happen, if we are going to improve our conference situation. Hope we got sugar daddies lined up for that right now.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dukie » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:19 pm

SI cites "sources" to throw out that Texas may go to the ACC instead. (This has got to be b.s.; the ACC would do it in a heartbeat but Texas would not):

https://www.si.com/college/2021/07/23/b ... -to-depart

Kansas is talking to the B1G:

https://www.outkick.com/kansas-may-join ... o-big-ten/

Personally, I still can't see how the schools that have been in a conference with Texas before plus Vandy don't decide that they can live without UT (thinking of those that have dealt with the Whorns before) and OU (thinking of Vandy).
Dukie
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:52 pm

From the Sports Illustrated piece above:

The move from Texas and Oklahoma is expected to spark a sweeping, nationwide realignment wave, one that could end in two ways: (1) the complete dismantling of the Big 12 conference and founding of four superconferences, each with as many as 16 teams; or (2) a rebuilt Big 12 with two to four new members that have been pillaged, in all likelihood, from the American Athletic Conference.

In the search for a rebuilt Big 12 (Option 2), the goal is to make additions that would keep the conference among the Autonomy 5, giving it more legislative freedom and, more importantly, retaining its tie-ins with the New Year’s Six bowl games. Those that make geographic and financial sense include Houston, Cincinnati, Memphis and possibly SMU.
ponyboy

Postby ponyboy » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:41 pm

Apparently, Baylor, TCU, and Tech have reached out to the PAC-12. Geographically, whether we got in or not, I wish ESPN would broker four new 16-team superconferences based on geography. That would be ideal IMO. Not sure if it’s even remotely a possibility. I suspect not.
ponyboy

Postby Blvd_Stang » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:09 pm

I have a different take than most.

The 12 team playoff would have been great and made college football more equitable for smaller schools like SMU. The current P5 big boys DO NOT WANT THIS INCREASED COMPETITION. Why would you want to start competing with SMU, UCF, Tulane, etc. who can now say there's a road to a national championship - that didn't exist before!

Enter Texas / OU going to the SEC. This basically accelerates 4 x 16 team power conferences AND a playoff format that excludes the smaller schools and maybe even the NCAA.

This doesn't shake out well for SMU in my opinion. The best thing would have been the 12 team playoff, including the 6 highest ranked conference champions.

Now I see something like this (4, 16 team super conferences)...

SEC – Needs to add 2 (UT, OU)
BIG 10 – Needs to add 2 (Kansas, Iowa St)
Pac – Needs to add 4 (OSU, KSU, TCU, Baylor)
ACC – Needs to add 2 (WVU, Cinci)

Who’s Left

Texas Tech
Houston
Memphis
UCF
SMU
Navy
Tulane
Etc.
2009 Ponyfans Rookie of the Year
Blvd_Stang
Heisman

Postby Blvd_Stang » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:16 pm

I'll add that the PAC 16 is our only hope bc they likely don't want the religious schools or lowly academic schools.

Maybe we sneak in. But hard to see OSU, KSU & Baylor not getting a home.

Perhaps theres a 5th "God & Guns" Conference haha...

Notre Dame
BYU
Baylor
TCU
Navy
Army
Air Force
Etc.
2009 Ponyfans Rookie of the Year
Blvd_Stang
Heisman

Postby Topper » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:51 pm

Blvd_Stang wrote:I have a different take than most.

The 12 team playoff would have been great and made college football more equitable for smaller schools like SMU. The current P5 big boys DO NOT WANT THIS INCREASED COMPETITION. Why would you want to start competing with SMU, UCF, Tulane, etc. who can now say there's a road to a national championship - that didn't exist before!

Enter Texas / OU going to the SEC. This basically accelerates 4 x 16 team power conferences AND a playoff format that excludes the smaller schools and maybe even the NCAA.

This doesn't shake out well for SMU in my opinion. The best thing would have been the 12 team playoff, including the 6 highest ranked conference champions.

Now I see something like this (4, 16 team super conferences)...

SEC – Needs to add 2 (UT, OU)
BIG 10 – Needs to add 2 (Kansas, Iowa St)
Pac – Needs to add 4 (OSU, KSU, TCU, Baylor)
ACC – Needs to add 2 (WVU, Cinci)

Who’s Left

Texas Tech
Houston
Memphis
UCF
SMU
Navy
Tulane
Etc.

I can't see the PAC 12 being happy with a couple of second fiddle state schools like KSU and OSU. Nor do I see them being happy about TCU or Baylor. They have always touted themselves as being comprised of big research institutions. TCU and Baylor are not cultural fits at all if that still matters. Oddly, I think West Virginia is in the best spot as the ACC and Big10 may both be after them at this point. I can also imagine Virginia Tech moving to the Big10. It is a mad scramble at this point. Oh, and the wild card: Notre Dame. My dream conference for SMU would include the Irish, TCU and Baylor. I think it would be easy to get the Kansas schools, OSU, and Tech to go along with such a conference. Let's just hope that the playoff goes to 12 teams and that 8 of them are not from the SEC.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby beaver » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:06 pm

https://twitter.com/jackmaccfb/status/1418678701135384579?s=21

Jack McGuire
@JackMacCFB
·
1h
SEC has been in serious contact with Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson, and Florida State.

Not clear if this will materialize, but they have their eyes on a true 20 team MEGA conference.

OU and Texas just the start.

This would be a shakeup!
beaver

Postby redpony » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:25 pm

I doubt the buckeyes and wolverines are going anywhere. they are at the top of the heap, why gamble on something much less certain.
redpony

Postby PNW_Stang » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:42 pm

I feel like they have to have 5 super conferences. 64 teams leaves out too many good teams. 80 teams gets you everyone who deserves to keep playing and having a shot in the new college football.

And I would think Texas Tech would get in the PAC over Baylor
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby EastStang » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:45 am

There are two money sports. Football and men’s basketball. Baylor is defending National Champion in hoops. Someone will value that. AAC could try a move to 16. Invite WVU to placate Cincy. That leaves 4 slots. KU and Baylor for hoops. That leaves Froggies, KSU, OSU, TT, ISU? KU may say KSU is a package deal. We’d probably want Frogs and UH would want TT due to legislative pressure. Sorry Frogs, we asked. ACC won’t take WVU. PItt, UVA, VT and UNC would blackball them. And BC, Syracuse, Louisville would blackball Cincy.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Water Pony » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:31 pm

ponyboy wrote:We’ve got to get on with the expansion of Ford that we previously offered the Big 12 if this is going to happen, if we are going to improve our conference situation. Hope we got sugar daddies lined up for that right now.

I agree. Adding 10+K seats to Ford will created a better drawn and room for the larger fan bases of P5 schools. Our on-campus experience in the middle of Big D would be a fun for all.

BTW, I assume adding a second level on the east side of the stadium is the right approach.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:50 pm

Can't forget that when deals like this are about to go down, especially involving publicly funded schools, politicians tend to get involved. Let's not forget how Baylor got the initial invite to join Texas, A&M and Texas Tech in the Big XII. I've read in the past that both OU and Kansas could have political hurdles to go anywhere without OSU & KSU so if the SEC is able to pull this off with Texas and Oklahoma, my guess is that OSU will have to have a suitable home. Not sure about the politics in Texas with Texas and the Texas Tech situation but wasn't that a concern when Texas and OU were talking to the PAC years ago? There are also academic compatibility issues as University Presidents still have egos as well.

It's certainly entertaining and at least SMU is better positioned to find a seat at a decent table this time around. We just aren't going to be a part of any 4 super conference scenario featuring the most attractive 64 teams but there could be a pretty attractive group of leftovers to compete against
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football