PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Mentioned

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU Mentioned

Postby EastStang » Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:41 pm

SMU was mentioned in the Washington Post as the only school that got the death penalty. It went on to state that Alabama and others were not punished as severely as SMU because they "cooperated" with the NCAA.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A62777-2004Feb22.html
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

SMU Death Penalty

Postby SMUstang » Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:00 pm

EastStang wrote:SMU was mentioned in the Washington Post as the only school that got the death penalty. It went on to state that Alabama and others were not punished as severely as SMU because they "cooperated" with the NCAA.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A62777-2004Feb22.html

It is true that SMU not only did not cooperate with the NCAA but they arrogantly kept on defying the NCAA by continuing to pay the players.

That being said though, Alabama, Notre Dame, Oklahoma and others have committed far more serious infractions of NCAA rules since the SMU death penalty but received only minor penalties.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby PlanoStang » Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:19 pm

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Corso » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:11 pm

(The changes in college athletics probably make this a moot point, but I thought I'd seek opinions here....)

Question: if the allegations surrounding the Colorado program are proven to be true, does CU deserve the death penalty?
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby Sam I Am » Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:47 pm

No DP for CU! There are very few times when I would like for any school to get what we did. The NCAA may not dispense equal justice to other schools, but bringing others down will not compensate SMU for the damages that we have suffered. Enforcing standards is not my highest priority for the NCAA. I want them to deal with the anti-trust issues of the BCS that is killing SMU worse than the probations ever did. If we were still int he SWC, we would have recovered form the DP long ago.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyExpress » Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:26 am

Extremely well said. Even the most bitter of rivals doesn't deserve to have an entire athletic program crippled by the DP. If the allegations turn out to be true, then clearly some punishment is due. But to devastate the entire program will not cure what ails college sports, and it won't correct the damage that's been done in Boulder. Corrective measures are always better than execution. Take scholarships, prohibit bowl games and TV appearances -- maybe even make the school forfeit its share of the Big 12 TV and bowl money (which then should be sent to SMU's athletic department, of course) -- but no DP again. Ever.
PonyExpress
Junior Varsity

Postby EastStang » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:20 am

I guess I differ on this. Colorado has been on probation several times and has not corrected itself. Other schools mentioned, haven't done so either. I feel that it is time to lower the boom on a couple of high profile large schools. They feel that they are exempt from these rules because they bring $$$$$ to the coffers of the NCAA and the BCS. This puts us at a competitive disadvantage. I say hang em high.
EastStang

Postby abezontar » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:36 am

but it will never happen because of what you said, the bring money to the NCAA and the BCS therefore giving the DP to them would end up hurting the NCAA financially, their never going to take money out of their own pocket.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mike Damone » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:18 pm

Seriously, why would anyone on here want someone else to get the death penalty. The common belief from the average fan is that SMU never recovered from the death penalty and that's why we've sucked so bad for the last 15 years. But we know differently than that, don't we.

What happens when CU gets the death penalty and then is able to return to respectability 5-10 years after the penalty is lifted? People wil realize that we aren't the victims of the DP that we paint ourselves to be.

I'd prefer to just keep telling people that the death penalty is still to blame and its awful what happened to us.
Mike Damone
All-American

It was the breakup of the SWC I tell ya!

Postby Bo 17 » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:28 pm

DP crippled us good, but we could have recovered if the SWC stayed intact. If a program like CU recieves the DP then they will be hurting for a few years thereafter, but if the Big 12 stays intact they will be back to playing above .500 let's say in 5 years!

DP sucked...Breakup of SWC was the death blow!!!!
Bo 17
\"Come in Ro...This is Bo!\"
Bo 17
Recruit

Re: It was the breakup of the SWC I tell ya!

Postby PlanoStang » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:52 pm

Bo 17 wrote:DP crippled us good, but we could have recovered if the SWC stayed intact. If a program like CU recieves the DP then they will be hurting for a few years thereafter, but if the Big 12 stays intact they will be back to playing above .500 let's say in 5 years!

Yep, that, and the mountain goats breaking up the WAC 16.

The BCS isn't helping any either.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: It was the breakup of the SWC I tell ya!

Postby Dooby » Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:50 pm

Bo 17 wrote:DP crippled us good, but we could have recovered if the SWC stayed intact. ....

I'll save Stallion the trouble...

Pye Model.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:58 pm

Let's see if CU got a 2 year DP, followed by say Baylor, Auburn and Georgia, and then in a fit of pique, CU turns in OU, OU turns in UT, UT turns in A&M. A&M turns in TT, Auburn turns in Alabama, who turns in Ole Miss, who turns in Arkansas. Get the picture. SWC all over again. No one wants to go down alone. You want thieves to fall out. Once all of the fallout starts perhaps some real changes occur. After SMU was hit and after seeing how it decimated our program, everyone shied away from the DP, and as a result it is worse than open season. There are rules and then there are no rules. What is the loss of 10 scholarships to UT who gets the pick of the Texas litter every year.? Nothing. What is the loss of a bowl game to UT? Bad, but not fatal. What is disqualification for a year or two? Totally horrid. I guess I might feel bad about Baylor, but any other school named, I wouldn't even lose a tear.
EastStang

Return to Football