PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Big 12 disolving

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Big 12 disolving

Postby Brooklynhite » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:18 am

I wrote this on Facebook just tonight, to my brother who played football at TCU... AFTER my father and I (his older brother) went to SMU:

So what do you think (my brothers' name), is the Big 12 going to dissolve?

None of college football is like it used to be (at least when we were growing up). It was a curse that SMU was given the death penalty, it destroyed the SWC and certainly incapacitated my alma mater's football program. But I have to tell you what - I have still loved following my school, cheering for the Mustangs, and you know what? You can have fun with your school playing almost anyone!

But I do love it when we beat the Frogs!
Brooklynhite
Recruit

Re: Big 12 disolving

Postby BUS » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:54 am

SMU is in a better position now than anytime in the last 40 years.
The BOLD program and the Dallas push is going help. And why - Sonny Dykes and staff.

Hold him and the future is bright.

The powers that be will have us playing some good teams in some conference that I have no control over. Go Mustangs - Always and forever. :roll:
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:56 am

The only thing conference schools may fear is that we'll be able to outbid them. Can they put in salary caps?
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Silk » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:07 pm

I get no vote, but I'd love it if we could somehow get to the Pac-12
Silk
Varsity

Postby EastStang » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:19 am

The ACC will have a huge sigh of relief if this happens. That means Clemson and FSU are locked in place. Would they be interested in the Texas market? Would they want SMU, TCU or Baylor (maybe Baylor for hoops)? Would they want Cincy, WVU or Temple? I suspect that BC, Syracuse, Pitt and Louisville, still don't like WVU and would blackball them. Maryland blackballed them before and they're gone now. So, that will be interesting to watch.
EastStang

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:56 am

EastStang wrote:The ACC will have a huge sigh of relief if this happens. That means Clemson and FSU are locked in place. Would they be interested in the Texas market? Would they want SMU, TCU or Baylor (maybe Baylor for hoops)? Would they want Cincy, WVU or Temple? I suspect that BC, Syracuse, Pitt and Louisville, still don't like WVU and would blackball them. Maryland blackballed them before and they're gone now. So, that will be interesting to watch.

West Virginia is certainly the best geographic fit for the ACC which would effectively bring them to 16 members (with Notre Dame). Will be interesting to see if the PAC-12 decides to expand into Texas and Oklahoma or even Kansas and also get to 16 members. Notre Dame might even decide to reconsider a Big 10 invite which could tempt the ACC to look at Cincy, UCF or even Memphis as a backfill to remain at 16 but I don't see them being interested in expanding their footprint all the way to Texas, especially for the remaining Texas schools. Looks like the remaining Big XII schools are in a bit of a pickle right now. Maybe when all is said and done the American could become a true American conference with as many as 18 members stretching coast to coast. This move by OU and the whorns will certainly make things interesting.
Charleston Pony

Postby EastStang » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:48 pm

I think WVU makes a lot of sense geographically to the ACC, but Hudgins is hoops coach at WVU and the rest of the ACC hates him and his history. Also, the WVU fans are not nice to put it mildly. They got passed over before by the ACC for Louisville and were not part of the original Big East migration to the ACC. Maryland didn't want them, but I've heard rumors that their former Big East partners and VT and the blue bloods Duke, UVA and UNC don't want them. Should be interesting.
EastStang

Return to Football