PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Aggies Unhappy

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Aggies Unhappy

Postby Topper » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:50 pm

Topper
Hall of Famer

Re: Aggies Unhappy

Postby HubbaHubba » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:31 pm

SEC never really wanted aggie. They wanted a school in the state of Texas for exposure. aggie was available. No sec school sees aggie as a meaningful opponent. They have a decent team sometimes but other schools aren't packing the stadium to see the farmers come to town. Most sec fans would rather go to Starkville than college station. aggies never understand that everyone is laughing at them not with them. They're behaving as if it is junior high, "But you said I was your best friend!".
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:34 pm

The SEC has been laughing at Aggy ever since the video they made with everybody's cheer.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Topper » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:46 pm

Some old timers might be able to verify what I heard in 1996. Some Houston and SMU boosters were talking to the SEC about coming into the fold as a pair in order to give the league more exposure in Dallas and Houston. Houston had flirted with the SEC back in the 60s and 70s and there was some interest from a financial standpoint. Everyone's favorite President Pye put a stop to the talk. I don't know how much truth to this rumor but more than one of my old classmates claimed to have inside info.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Dukie » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:09 am

Topper wrote:Some old timers might be able to verify what I heard in 1996. Some Houston and SMU boosters were talking to the SEC about coming into the fold as a pair in order to give the league more exposure in Dallas and Houston. Houston had flirted with the SEC back in the 60s and 70s and there was some interest from a financial standpoint. Everyone's favorite President Pye put a stop to the talk. I don't know how much truth to this rumor but more than one of my old classmates claimed to have inside info.

I remember SMU desperately casting about for a landing spot, and hoping for the SEC. I would imagine any outreach was entirely by SMU and was politely but quickly rejected by the SEC. It's not impossible that Pye stopped it, but there was also no need for him to do so because it wasn't going to happen.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Vitale » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:12 pm

Imagine being an Aggie and realizing your school already is less important to the conference than UT ... which had not even joined yet!
Vitale
All-American

Postby ponyte » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:37 pm

Vitale wrote:Imagine being an Aggie...!

One can't imagine that. Its too surreal.
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby HubbaHubba » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:56 pm

ponyte wrote:
Vitale wrote:Imagine being an Aggie...!

One can't imagine that. Its too surreal.

Why would anyone want to imagine that? The stuff of nightmares!

ut causing both baylor and aggy such unhappiness does make me like ut just a little.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Return to Football